Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[tut] Just Purchase Hosting | Now what do I do?
Don't have a host yet? Please see my tutorial, the first step to getting a website set up: Finding the Right Host for You

So, you have finally found the right web host for you. What to do now? You wait until you receive your account information by email. You will receive login details and nameservers (usually ns#.something.com) There will be 2 of them. Go to your domain registrar and update the name servers there. Please allow 24-48 hours for propagation.

With cPanel you can view your site before propagation by vising the link they send you.

Now, you want to upload your site? Well, you're going to need an FTP program for that. I recommend Filezilla Client

If you are on a Linux server you will need to upload your files to a directory called public_html to be able to view the files from the web.

To view your site just go to
Code:
www.yourdomain.com
You must have a index.php, html, asp, etc file for that to work.

Now, the question is, what type of site are you planning on having? Is it a forum? blog? site with random articles?

If you want a forum, there are many free forum softwares out around the interwebz for you to download and install. Same with blogs and a site with random articles. I will now provide a link to some forum software, blog software, and a CMS. If you have any issues with installing any of these, you can add me on MSN: oop.lonestar [at] hotmail.com.
Forums (free):
MyBB
Simple Machines Forum (SMF)
PHPBB
Installation Wiki's:
MyBB Installation
SMF Installation
PHPBB Installation
Forums (paid):
vBulletin
Costs: $100/year for a 1 year leased license. $180 for a lifetime license. Must purchase updates license every year for $40 if within 60 days of expiration, or $60 if outside the 60 days.
Invision Power Board (IPB)
Costs: Self Host License: $149.99. Hosted community: From $9.99/month.

I'm only going to provide one blog software, as it's by far the best out there.
Wordpress
Installation Wiki

And I will only provide one Content Management System as it's the only one I have ever used. Now, there is a learning curve with this and it will take you a few days of straight playing around with this. Joomla

In order to install all of the above software you must have created a Database (SQL) and assigned a DB user to it.

When installing them, you probably should leave the host as localhost. It is the right answer for 90% of hosts out there, if it doesn't work right for you, contact your host's support department and ask them.

As I said, if you have any trouble installing them, or have any hosting related questions, you can add me on MSN: oop.lonestar [at] hotmail.com or you can PM me. I'll help you out for free.

There is also these things called Fantastico and Installatron. Nearly all hosts provide one or the other for free, and most it is Fantastico. These both provide installation of the above software, as well as...I want to say 20 other scripts in Fantastico and close to the same with Installatron, depending on what the host has made available.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND USING THEM. Yeah they may be convenient, but, 9 times out of 10 the scripts are out of date (Installatron is usually a bit better in providing updated software quickly, but not by much). On top of that, when it comes to installing plugins, you need to be familiar with the directory system through FTP as that is the most used method for plugins.

Wanting to Install MyBB? Check out my next tutorial: Installing MyBB with a cPanel Host
Do you know how to make games? Do you know 3d Modeling? If so then visit
[Image: logo.png]
A short but informative source of information that others can use in the future.

Smile
[Image: 3326yvl.jpg]

I plan on adding to it, but, alas, my fingers were sore Big Grin

Anyone have any questions? Just post them here and I'll address them in the tutorial.
I actually thought you were keeping it basic but if you are adding more to it, then that's great.

I'll keep checking back for updates Smile
[Image: 3326yvl.jpg]

Nice basic guide, most of the newbie's will come here for this. Big Grin
Thanks headshot Big Grin. I have updated with a little more content. As people have questions they can ask them here. Next up, installing MyBB with a cPanel host Big Grin
Bump to get this back up top for fresh views.
I was about to post a question based on things you have explained..... so first thanks for bumping you saved us both time and thanks for sharing this.

I'll read it now until the end but before that I need to ask something....
When getting hosing, how important is the location of the server, as in, I'm in germany...
Would it be better to get a server here or would one in Tokyo do the same good job!
That really depends on the site you are going to run and your target audience. If you are targeting world wide I'd recommend an east coast, US or Texas, US server personally. Tokyo I would never recommend. As always the farther away the longer it will take to load, plus factor in crappy internet and you have a page that takes 30-60 seconds to load for some viewers. Although with the advance of technology US and Europe servers for either-or visitors will be minimal delay.
An informative guide for newbies. Great work.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I need to purchase an ecommerce hosting account Kdstack 3 685 12-04-2018, 01:10 AM
Last Post: Mirandas
  [TUT]Free hosting at HostGator Firetech 11 1,419 12-20-2011, 11:35 AM
Last Post: Jfaviouz
  One Best Hosting || Official CloudFlare Partner || Get a Pen on every purchase !!* Alone Vampire *!! 2 733 11-09-2011, 10:59 AM
Last Post: !!* Alone Vampire *!!
  [tut] Starting your Own Web Hosting Company Grizzly 37 8,077 07-03-2011, 09:47 PM
Last Post: Link