Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
reputations
Why do we have reputations do we really need them

here at firefox?
Reps are here to let other members know what

members think about each other. I think they are useful. Anyone?

FW
~ FFW
I don't think they're any problem at this point. But

your little forum is growing pretty fast and eventually I think they'll become a problem. At some point is size, forums usually develop cliques. Then you

get feuds going between this clique and that and the members of one clique will gang up on members of another clique to drive down their reputation

points (or karma, as it's called with some code systems). Or people will scheme within their clique to build the points of their friends up. Personally, I

think about the only way to REALLY build a reputation is to get some time under your belt posting fair and objective posts. It doesn't take newbies long to

figure out who the respected members are.

Just my opinion, but, as usual, there's be no charge for it. Tongue
Well there's always the "Report"

button!

FW
~ FFW
Quote:Then you get feuds going between this

clique and that and the members of one clique will gang up on members of another clique to drive down their reputation points (or karma, as it's called

with some code systems).

I think if we keep things clean, honest and helpful, none of this will happen.
Critical Security has LOTS of

members (7,608 to be exact). I have been a member of that forum for awhile, and I haven't seen none of that going on.

_ISR_m3rc_
_ISR_m3rc_ Wrote:
Quote:Then you get feuds

going between this clique and that and the members of one clique will gang up on members of another clique to drive down their reputation points (or

karma, as it's called with some code systems).

I think if we keep things clean, honest and helpful, none of this will happen.
Critical

Security has LOTS of members (7,608 to be exact). I have been a member of that forum for awhile, and I haven't seen none of that going

on.

_ISR_m3rc_

You haven't seen none of that going on? Oops! Double negative! :'(

(Sorry, Skippy. I yank your chain 'cause

I LIKE ya. I'll let the grammar thing go now 'cause I don't want to torment you to the point of hating me.) Smile

Well, I hope you're right. I think that the

reason that a forum that size could get away with it is the same reason that might protect this forum: its main focus on noncontroversial. Mrs. Spot

belonged to a forum of about five thousand that used a similar feature and she got regularly trashed. Now Mrs. Spot is a nice lady and, though she's

outspoken she's not mean or rude. Her only crime was to not be a right wing extremist like most of the rest of that forum. I'll see if she'll share some of

the comments that she got there. ANYONE at that forum that was any more liberal than Pat Robertson had a karma (reputation) in the negative numbers.
FirefoxWiz Wrote:Well there's always the

"Report" button!

FW

But how would THAT work? Would you report someone for simply giving you a negative rating? How could you

prove a conspiracy? As admin, do you really want to babysit a bunch of crybabies that are having a reputation points war?

Maybe it won't be a

problem here. If it DOES become a problem, you can always disable it later. Like I said, I don't feel strongly one way or the other on this. You da boss and

and you must be doing a pretty good job because the forum's growing, people are active and everything seems comfortable.

Papa
Quote:(Sorry, Skippy. I yank your chain 'cause I

LIKE ya. I'll let the grammar thing go now 'cause I don't want to torment you to the point of hating me.)
Drop the skippy thing then.
Quote:you

must be doing a pretty good job because the forum's growing, people are active and everything seems comfortable.
I am beginning to feel

uncomfortable.

_ISR_m3rc_
_ISR_m3rc_ Wrote:Drop the skippy thing

then.

Okay. Consider it dropped.

Quote:I am beginning to feel uncomfortable.

Well, then I apologize. I was just

having some fun with ya and I really didn't mean to make you feel uncomfortable. I tease people that I like but if I find out that they are reacting

negatively to it, I drop it. But don't worry; it'll be strictly business with you and me from here on.

Papa
Much obliged.

_ISR_m3rc_