Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
My brother is very depressed.
Well, I have an autistic brother called Ben. He is eight years old. A year ago he started going to school, he isn't having the best time.

People at the school are teasing him, he is excluded from nearly every social thing he does at that school. The older kids are making fun of him because of his disabilities, he is having a lot of trouble learning to read and write. In Australia it costs a lot of money to pay for therapy for these types of things. It actually costs 350 dollars a lesson. So, my family can not give him the proper help that is needed.

For almost a year my brother did not tell my family he was having problems, just recently he couldn't take it anymore and told me. I have never seen him so sad. I really wanna do something about this but don't wanna do anything that hurts any of the other children, I am eighteen and don't want to be mean to a bunch of primary school students. If any of you have any ideas on what to do please tell me, thank you.

Just wanted to give you guys a little update.

My brother has switched to a smaller school, there are a lot less people there and most of them are very friendly. He's still got the occasional bully, but he now has friends to help overcome it. It's really nice to see him happy, he's taken an interest into a lot of others things in his life now. He's really blooming.

Thanks everybody for your help, I really appreciate it.
Take him out for something to eat, and an ice cream.

Talk to him, maybe teach him to argue back, but maybe not fight back, but arguing.

Or everyone night read him a chapter of a book, and make him attempt to read a page?

~A
My brother is also 8 and is also autistic and had the same problems as you. Do you know what cured it? I had to raise his self-esteem. You need to make him aware of the brotherly bond between you two and let him know that you're there for him. You should involve him in your activities and try and teach him how to react in situations that he may encounter during school.

I found that the way I treated him (like a mate) rubbed off on him quickly because of his autism and he acted the same way with the people at school at they began to accept him.

This is just my advice from what I taught myself. You might find the below resources useful:

http://kidshealth.org/teen/expert/school...tedArticle
http://www.autism.com/ind_teaching_tips.asp

~ Sam ~
Maybe help him out yourself.Teach him how to read/write.Might not be the best teacher but at least your showing your brother that your willing to help.
Just hang out with him a lot. Do things that he likes, and teach him some new things. Some things kids at school don't know. He can teach some kids new things. The mean ass kids will realize everyone is equal.
Spend alot of time with him and make him feel loved . You can also try going to the school and maybe talking to the teachers. I hope your brother gets better <3
Cheer him up by getting him something. Just dont let him take depression pills!
[Image: wjo1277791204v.png]
>>>>CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE THREAD WERE MY HOSTING PACKAGES ARE LOCATED<<<<
NOW OFFERING FREE WEBHOSTING! 150GB DISKSPACE AND 1000GB BW!
Take him out for something nice man! When you're depressed, being around friends/family is a huge help.
I agree with the latter. Make the boy feel like he has a place to go when everyone else tosses him aside as though nothing. It seems he confides in you and looks up to you. There is no greater honour than to have someone so innocent to see you as light on a hill. In words I cannot explain completely, something in my heart reaches out to you; and has the utmost respect to have the heart to love someone for who they are. It is rare... and I promise; you'll never be disappointed in life. It is an honour for me to speak with such a person, thank you.
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. Love is the law, love under will.
.::The Rights of Man::.
just help him yourself. help him build self confidence

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Young, depressed, discouraged looking for advice and compassion kitsune 1 869 08-01-2016, 10:48 PM
Last Post: Mimi
  I don't understand my brother UnderGroundMerlin 5 1,119 10-16-2014, 08:36 PM
Last Post: Diabolic
  I'm Depressed Kaleb 3 820 07-22-2014, 03:28 PM
Last Post: Autopost
  Down and depressed gtsmith10 3 870 02-25-2014, 01:17 AM
Last Post: NunezJ
  Clinically Depressed Drug Addict with Insomnia and General Anxiety Disorder... Laxbro 1 812 09-05-2012, 04:03 PM
Last Post: Ormond32176