Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
Super-fast and great-looking, Ubuntu is a secure, intuitive operating system that powers desktops, servers, netbooks and laptops. Ubuntu is, and always will be, absolutely free.

Created by the best open-source experts from all over the world, Ubuntu is available in 24 languages and ready for download today.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

I have a friend that has this on his laptop and it is really good he says.

If you download it or already have it. Please post here your opinion on it.

Thank you and have a wonderful day!!
10.04 has been out since late April o.O
(06-05-2010, 09:31 AM)Elektrisk Wrote: 10.04 has been out since late April o.O

Well, I don't have linux nor do I have the newest ubuntu. I just saw it and found out about it. It doesn't matter when it came out, I am just wondering the opinions that everyone has on it.
Do you have it? if so. What is your opinion on it?

What is better windows or linux? I have windows and I am wondering if I should switch to linux.
(06-05-2010, 09:44 AM)hippypancake Wrote: Well, I don't have linux nor do I have the newest ubuntu. I just saw it and found out about it. It doesn't matter when it came out, I am just wondering the opinions that everyone has on it.
Do you have it? if so. What is your opinion on it?

What is better windows or linux? I have windows and I am wondering if I should switch to linux.

Oh, for some reason, I thought you had 'released' in your topic title =S My bad.

I don't have it currently, but I have used it. It's great, but I hate how like no Linux distro can detect my wireless card automatically, except those that don't adhere entirely to the FOSS ethic (read: not debian) such as Elive. I also dislike how in this version of Ubuntu, the minimize/maximize buttons are to the left and not the right. This can easily be fixed with Ubuntu Tweak, but I feel like they are trying to make it too much like OS X. I myself can't seem to transition from Windows to Linux. It's a great OS, Ubuntu, but I am just too used to Windows XP.

One can't really say that either is "better". It depends on what you are used to and what you want. If you want a stable OS whose software is completely free without the worry of malware, go for Linux. Linux gives you complete control over your system. That doesn't mean much to a regular user, but for those who like tweaking the system in depth, Linux is much better for that than Windows. Another thing is, because you have full control over your system, there're MUCH more elaborate themes for Linux than for Windows. With Windows, you are basically limited to the functionality that WindowBlinds provides for you. However, with powerful theme managers such as Emerald, it's limitless.

There're websites devoted to helping you customize your system based on what DE (Desktop Environment) you use. By default, Ubuntu uses the Gnome desktop environment, which is the most stable DE I have used. In this case, you would go to gnome-look.org for wallpapers, themes, icons, and so on. It's great. If you use a fork of Ubuntu, such as Kubuntu (which uses KDE as its DE), Lubuntu (which uses LXDE as its DE), Xubuntu (which uses XFCE as its DE), and so on, there're different websites such as kde-look and so on for your customization needs.

IMO, though, Ubuntu-based distros, especially Kubuntu & Xubuntu, look great out of the box without needing to customzie anything. You're probably confused as to what DE to use. For starters, I'd recommend just going with Ubuntu (which uses Gnome by default). Yes, KDE is more attractive and user friendly, but it's a lot less stable than Gnome. I actually found KDE to be so user friendly that it was annoying.

As long as you know how to Google, you won't have much trouble getting used to Ubuntu. There're many forums, such as SF, Linuxforums.org, Ubuntuforums.org, and Wikis devoted to helping users with Ubuntu. If you are that interested, I suggest looking into this book. It's very awesome. I myself have read some of it, and the information was very much worth the cost of the book.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
I've been using Ubuntu daily for the last few months and i love it. IMO much better than Windows - go for it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Get Ubuntu 11.04 >>Upgrade from Ubuntu 10.10 aminmusa 15 6,987 04-25-2011, 02:06 AM
Last Post: aminmusa
  [ubuntu v=9.10]Apache2 errors[/ubuntu] jfmherokiller 10 3,625 11-23-2010, 08:26 PM
Last Post: haphazard
  Tutorial: Installing Ubuntu/Basics of Ubuntu Canoris 16 9,147 05-31-2010, 05:31 PM
Last Post: Natha
  Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Shadow Soul 2 920 04-06-2010, 12:37 PM
Last Post: Shadow Soul