Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's Your Favourite Linux & Why?
(10-08-2009, 03:12 PM)g4143 Wrote: Myself I've tried Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, Fedora, Mandriva, Slackware and a few other micro distros...

For the most user friendly/stable distro its Mandriva/Gnome.

For the experienced user its Slackware 13/KDE all the way....G4143

Right, and the "experienced" user also only tried 5 or so distros, right ? LOLOL. Can the "experienced" user even cite the differences other than the obvious visual ?

My favorite distros vary in funtion of what im gonna be using them for.. The ones i have the most fun with are surely arch linux and gentoo. The ones i trust more for servers are definatly debian or a bsd. Arch and gentoo are both great, from the awesomeness of gentoo's USE flags to the speed and bleeding edge of arch. Debian just never fails and just simply works the way everything was intended to, not to mention the detailed and numerous doc.
(10-20-2009, 01:47 PM)japon Wrote: Right, and the "experienced" user also only tried 5 or so distros, right ? LOLOL. Can the "experienced" user even cite the differences other than the obvious visual ?

My favorite distros vary in funtion of what im gonna be using them for.. The ones i have the most fun with are surely arch linux and gentoo. The ones i trust more for servers are definatly debian or a bsd. Arch and gentoo are both great, from the awesomeness of gentoo's USE flags to the speed and bleeding edge of arch. Debian just never fails and just simply works the way everything was intended to, not to mention the detailed and numerous doc.

Maybe Debian never failed for you...I had Debian fail. I tried installing it via VirtualBox and it failed big time....
Slackware 13/ArchLinux - C/Assem/Python
(10-20-2009, 02:50 PM)g4143 Wrote: Maybe Debian never failed for you...I had Debian fail. I tried installing it via VirtualBox and it failed big time....

No thats just VirtualBox. Try Qemu or any of the others that are in the Ubuntu Repos.
(10-20-2009, 04:10 PM)Tm0 Wrote: No thats just VirtualBox. Try Qemu or any of the others that are in the Ubuntu Repos.

That's funny because I can load other OS's via Virtualbox...So it must be Debian...
Slackware 13/ArchLinux - C/Assem/Python
I never can get everything working. Try it in Qemu or the others in the Repos. They seem to work fine.