Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help transferring a forum.
Hello.
I'm trying to help a friend transfer a forum to his domain. He bought it, and he simply needs to add his domain. Well, I went to cPanel and added the domain (I updated the nameservers), but the files aren't uploaded to that website's directory in the FTP server. They are all under the old domain's. I tried just copying public_html from the old domain into his domain, but a lot of links in the forum still link to the old domain, like Register/Login and so on. Some things link to his domain, like the forums and categories, but most don't. How can I cleanly do what I want to do? I could do a simple redirect, but then the URL would be the old domain's, and he doesnt' want that.
Have you set the board URL to the new one?

ACP > Configuration > General Configuration?

Also if you have a modified theme that uses any absolute URLs then you may need to change those as well.
MyBB Support team member.
[Image: smallsig.png]
(04-27-2010, 07:37 PM)Tim Wrote: Have you set the board URL to the new one?

ACP > Configuration > General Configuration?

Also if you have a modified theme that uses any absolute URLs then you may need to change those as well.

Yes.

I think our biggest problem now is that it appears cookies aren't being saved. When browsing the Admin CP, we have to login every time we go to a different page. I have ensured that the cookie path is set to .hisdomain.net but still no luck.
Take a look at this thread to work out what your cookie settings should be: http://community.mybboard.net/thread-42123.html
MyBB Support team member.
[Image: smallsig.png]
(04-27-2010, 08:23 PM)Tim Wrote: Take a look at this thread to work out what your cookie settings should be: http://community.mybboard.net/thread-42123.html

My cookie settings were right, then.
but, I'm still having the issue.

We're thinking of just switching hosts. However, I'm unsure if we'd be able to do a full transfer of the forum to a new host while keeping the plugin settings and so on. I have a back up of the SQL databases and the FTP server. Would it be as simple as installing the backup and uploading the FTP?

As it stands, here's what the ftp looks like:

olddomain.com -> public_html -> hisdomain.net -> public_html

With a new host, it'd just be

hisdomain.net -> public_html

I think that'd solve all these conflicts.
Problem solved.. after many headaches and tears Tongue Jokes.

Thanks anyway, Tim.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  myBB Forum Permission Cache Error - Crippling My Forum CruciasNZ 1 939 04-24-2013, 12:11 AM
Last Post: Kevin Cheri