Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Technoboard.Net
Hey, I was wondering if you would review my forum.

http://www.technoboard.net

Thanks Smile
(04-22-2010, 08:57 AM)Tierney Wrote: Please don't post if you are going to make of me or the site.

I suggest that you ask Faux Pas to delete that thread, and in future to not disclose personal information unless it is absolutely necessary. Otherwise, it risks looking unprofessional. A simple notice like this is enough:

"Tierney is unable to be here for [a week] due to urgent IRL matters and apologises for the inconvenience. Members are to refer to [Faux Pas] if there are any issues arising from this."

Good-looking forum title and font style, although there is a mismatch between the meaning of the domain name and forum title. You have an aesthetic style here that you can develop further.

It has a nice skin, although I find it too dark unless you intend it to convey associations with hacking. Most non-hacking technology sites I have seen usually have lighter backgrounds. Look at Beta Release, which belongs to SF member RPicard.

The font for thread titles and member's names are a dark green that is difficult to read against the dark grey background. Purple for Supermods and dark red for Mods are also difficult to see. Use bolder fonts and a lighter colour.

I like the sound of your forum descriptions. It is friendly.

I do not think you should add any more categories. Too many categories for a young forum can make it appear empty. Better fewer categories with more threads each, than more categories with few threads each. I actually think you should delete the categories with fewer than 5 threads, and place them in the nearest related category. Categories can be created when 6-10 threads on the topic are created. Beta Release has only 5 forum sections with most categories in the main section.

It seems that you have been dedicated to growing your forum and that is a great attitude. You might also wish to try looking at startup forums of a similar size, to see what designs and strategies they use. You will learn a lot as your forum grows so I wish you well with it. Smile
Nice website,with nice Mybb skin.It's a new skin i ever saw on Mybb.But it's not nice for newbies as they won't be able to understand the website only lol.
Please don't post if you are going to make of me or the site. And this is an intermediate technology site, so it dosen't need to appeal to "newbies."
This is the review and showcase section, not advertising. NO, we do not have such a section.
The skin is overused, sorry.

Your domain name would suggest it's about music (techno).

It needs a favicon.

I don't really like how you have tried to put all of the content so close to each other.
Make use of separate pages and just use a nice navigation menu to let the users browse the site as they wish.
Looking at the main page, I don't know where to start. I expect to see a list of forums, not an announcement, statistics, birthdays, a login box, and so on.

While your theme is overused, the very background image (of the container) looks very nice.

However, I'm a bit concerned as to how you expect this site to take off. There're MANY forums concerning technology discussion. Just look at Neowin. How do you expect to compete with a huge site like that?
(04-22-2010, 07:28 AM)Eve Wrote: I suggest that you ask Faux Pas to delete that thread, and in future to not disclose personal information unless it is absolutely necessary. Otherwise, it risks looking unprofessional. A simple notice like this is enough:

"Tierney is unable to be here for [a week] due to urgent IRL matters and apologises for the inconvenience. Members are to refer to [Faux Pas] if there are any issues arising from this."

Good-looking forum title and font style, although there is a mismatch between the meaning of the domain name and forum title. You have an aesthetic style here that you can develop further.

It has a nice skin, although I find it too dark unless you intend it to convey associations with hacking. Most non-hacking technology sites I have seen usually have lighter backgrounds. Look at Beta Release, which belongs to SF member RPicard.

The font for thread titles and member's names are a dark green that is difficult to read against the dark grey background. Purple for Supermods and dark red for Mods are also difficult to see. Use bolder fonts and a lighter colour.

I like the sound of your forum descriptions. It is friendly.

I do not think you should add any more categories. Too many categories for a young forum can make it appear empty. Better fewer categories with more threads each, than more categories with few threads each. I actually think you should delete the categories with fewer than 5 threads, and place them in the nearest related category. Categories can be created when 6-10 threads on the topic are created. Beta Release has only 5 forum sections with most categories in the main section.

It seems that you have been dedicated to growing your forum and that is a great attitude. You might also wish to try looking at startup forums of a similar size, to see what designs and strategies they use. You will learn a lot as your forum grows so I wish you well with it. Smile

Thanks for all the feedback. I will have Faux Pas redo that message.

(04-22-2010, 12:42 PM)The Voice Wrote: This is the review and showcase section, not advertising. NO, we do not have such a section.

Sorry, You can delete this thread or make it into a review (would prefer the latter.)

Edit: I changed it.

(04-22-2010, 12:51 PM)Elektrisk Wrote: The skin is overused, sorry.

Your domain name would suggest it's about music (techno).

It needs a favicon.

I don't really like how you have tried to put all of the content so close to each other.
Make use of separate pages and just use a nice navigation menu to let the users browse the site as they wish.
Looking at the main page, I don't know where to start. I expect to see a list of forums, not an announcement, statistics, birthdays, a login box, and so on.

While your theme is overused, the very background image (of the container) looks very nice.

However, I'm a bit concerned as to how you expect this site to take off. There're MANY forums concerning technology discussion. Just look at Neowin. How do you expect to compete with a huge site like that?

Really? I have only seen one other forum use this skin. And you don't like seeing a portal? That is unusual. Most people want a portal.
Quote:Really? I have only seen one other forum use this skin. And you don't like seeing a portal? That is unusual. Most people want a portal.

Well, the term "overused" is relative, so if you like it, use it if you want.

No, I don't, but maybe I'm part of the minority in this case.
All in all, the forum is based on what you think is best. I'm just giving my thoughts.
(04-23-2010, 07:31 AM)Elektrisk Wrote: Well, the term "overused" is relative, so if you like it, use it if you want.

No, I don't, but maybe I'm part of the minority in this case.
All in all, the forum is based on what you think is best. I'm just giving my thoughts.

I just want to say that I highly value your opinions. Thanks for sharing them. Smile
That theme is <3.