Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Xubuntu Experience
I decided to burn the Xubuntu ISO to a blank disk and test it on my test computer to see how well it worked, and to basically test it.

Anyway,
It's a pretty good OS, I like it's look the most and the fact that you install things through the terminal as well as the way you do with windows. Also, so far i like this more than windows. However i've only been messing around for an hour i'm proudly stating now that i'm going to keep it as my primary OS on this computer. It's much more stable than windows as well as much more customizable.

Some screenshots:

Terminal Installing-
The default desktop-
Google Chrome-
Firefox/Rafi IMing me-
Pretty sexy much?
XFCE looks nice overall, but I prefer KDE.
xUbuntu is great. I was in the exact same position as you last week and have been using it ever since! As for installing programs I would suggest downloading them as '.deb' files. In xUbuntu these open with the package installer and do all the work for you. Take google chrome for instance. I would also suggest:
Quote: Applications > System > Hardware Drivers
And installing the latest graphics driver on there that has the '(recommended)' label on it. This way you will be able to increase your resolution. Just remember to restart after. One quick tip also. Don't turn off by holding your computer button. This is what I used to do all the time with windows, but I found that doing this in xUbuntu has wrecked my install twice leading to a re-installation!
-Poppins
WhiteHat Hacker, Infection Control and HJT Team Trainee
Poppins™
Originally from: Hackforums.net
Note: Don't install .deb files unless you trust the source. While there's a learning curve, it's always best to compile the program yourself.
(04-13-2010, 02:37 AM)Elektrisk Wrote: Note: Don't install .deb files unless you trust the source. While there's a learning curve, it's always best to compile the program yourself.

Of course. Obviously don't go downloading them from an untrusted source. How exactly do you mean they can be unsafe? Because I have always dealt with windows but I don't know the definition of 'UnSafe' on linux.
-Poppins
Poppins™
(04-13-2010, 02:52 AM)Poppins™ Wrote: Of course. Obviously don't go downloading them from an untrusted source. How exactly do you mean they can be unsafe? Because I have always dealt with windows but I don't know the definition of 'UnSafe' on linux.
-Poppins

I'm a Linux newbie too, so someone correct me if I am wrong, but you need to enter your root password to install a .deb package, right? Is that not giving the package root access? That could cause some serious damage.
(04-13-2010, 05:46 AM)Elektrisk Wrote: I'm a Linux newbie too, so someone correct me if I am wrong, but you need to enter your root password to install a .deb package, right? Is that not giving the package root access? That could cause some serious damage.

I believe you only give it too the package installer or terminal? Not the actual package. I don't think that a package having your root password can cause harm anyway. Smile.
-Poppins
Poppins™
I also have learned or heard that a linux virus or malicious file is very rare.
(04-13-2010, 05:46 AM)Elektrisk Wrote: I'm a Linux newbie too, so someone correct me if I am wrong, but you need to enter your root password to install a .deb package, right? Is that not giving the package root access? That could cause some serious damage.

Correct. Using root itself is always dangerous. I destroyed a harddrive Chmodding.
(04-13-2010, 05:56 AM)Poppins™ Wrote: I believe you only give it too the package installer or terminal? Not the actual package. I don't think that a package having your root password can cause harm anyway. Smile.
-Poppins

Actually it could do wonders to your PC. Including installing a keylogger. A webcam streamer and many other things.
You should try out LinuxMint, I've only tried Ubuntu, Xubuntu, and Mint. Overall, Mint has been my favorite.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any tips for a Newbie? [xUbuntu] Poppins 12 3,169 04-18-2010, 06:17 PM
Last Post: Buffy
  Help getting internet on Xubuntu and Can a tiple boat be possible Kenji Harima 9 2,039 10-08-2009, 06:11 PM
Last Post: Kenji Harima