Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Get Started with Linux
Apprensive about linux?
Here's how to get started with it. Even if you don't want to, just try it out once. I'm sure you'll love it.

Step 1 : Choosing a linux distribution
While there are certainly many versions ("distributions") of Linux to choose from, picking one is easy. I am using openSUSE, if you want to do the same skip to step 2.
Any linux distribution would do, but I would recommend taking this quiz to find out which linux distro suits your needs.
Link to quiz: http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/

Step 2: Getting your linux distro
Let's assume your result was openSUSE.
Go to the download page and make sure you select the DVD option. I would recommend the BitTorrent method.
(I had a very lousy experience with a live CD. It ran so slow that I couldn't go past the welcome screen).

Step 3: Creating the installation DVD

You'll notice the downloaded file is an ISO image. Burn this to a blank DVD using Nero or any other alternative. Make sure you select the "burn image to disc option."

Step 4: Choose a desktop environment

You have to choose a desktop environment in the installation which is the next step.

Besides the operating system Linux, which performs the basic computer functions like file access and network connections, you also need a graphical desktop environment that provides a friendly user interface for you to interact with the computer.
KDE is a good choice for people familiar with Microsoft Windows or so I am told. GNOME on the other hand makes it easy even for computer novices to use Linux.
I am using GNOME and I would recommend it. To tell the truth, I didn't notice any similarity between KDE and Windows.

Step 5: Installing linux
Restart your PC with the DVD inside. It will automaticallly boot from the DVD.
The default settings work fine so keep clicking next.
The default hard disk partitions will result in 2 operating systems. Installing linux will not change your experience in Windows in any way. The only change you'll notice is the shrinkage of your disk storage space in some of the windows drives which is the result of an extended partition.
Edit these only if you know what you are doing.
One more thing, DON'T FORGET THE ROOT PASSWORD YOU ENTER DURING INSTALLATION.

Step 6: Getiing connected to the Internet

In openSUSE, click on icon at the extreme left of the taskbar and go to control centre (In Gnome). There install both the "modem" and "dsl" if you have broadband connection through landline. Don't confuse it with network settings - that is for people who want to set up a server.
If you have a dynamic Ip adress click on obtain Ip address automatically. Even if you have a static adress you can click obtain Ip address or if you know your Ip address enter it.
Reboot and launch the web browser provided with the distro. In openSUSE, the default is Firefox. You can launch it from the computer tab at the bottom of the screen.
In KDE just search for YaST and go to administrator settings. Click on network devices and install modem and dsl.
You will be prompted to insert your dvd to install the smdpp (or something similar) package. Insert the DVD and click retry.

Note: For other distros it must be similar process - i have only used ubuntu, fedora and i am currently using opensuse. I'm sure you'll get help for any distro you choose here.

Step 7: Choosing your web browser

In most distros the default is Firefox. Apart from this, Knoqueror and Opera are also available.

Step 8: Installing Wine

From their Website:
Wine lets you run Windows software on other operating systems. With Wine, you can install and run these applications just like you would in Windows.
It is still under active development. Not every program works yet, however there are already several million people using Wine to run their software.

For openSUSE,

Click on the start icon and click on terminal (konsole) and type su.
Give the root password. You won't be able to see what you type. This is a security feature.
type "zypper in wine" without quotes.
Type YES to start the download.

Once it is installed press Allt+F2 and enter winecfg (this creates a hidden or fake C drive in which wine installs all your programs, registry entries and other crap). You can also type winecfg in the console which gives the same result.

The first window shows the general settings. In the versions field select Windows Xp(or whatever you prefer) if it is not already selected
Under about enter your name, you can leave the organization field empty if you want. Set the sounds settings so that only Alsa is selected.
In the Application tab you can add the applications you often use and set the default windows version for this i use "global settings" but feel free to
experiment. You can also add custom paths in the Desktop integration tab.

Installing programs with wine is almost exactly the same as in windows. Just click on the installer .exe file.

All windows apps are in ~.wine which is a hidden folder in your /home.
The path is ~.wine/drive_c/Program Files
You can substitute ~ with /home/yourUserName/
That is /home/yourUserName/.wine/drive_c/Program Files

Syntax wine "c:\program files\NameOfProgramFolder\ProgramName.exe"
Example - Photoshop:
wine "c:\program files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS2\Photoshop.exe"

In KDE to create a desktop link
Browse to your desktop folder right click and choose create new "Link to application"
On the General tab enter the name of the application. Go the the Application tab and enter the name again and the link in the command
field as above for Photoshop. Go back to the General tab and click on the icon button, choose icons.

In Gnome:
On a free area of your desktop right click and choose Create Launcher
Type: Application
Name: Photoshop
Command: wine "c:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS2\Photoshop.exe"

For fedora, type "yum install wine" and repeat the whole process starting from winecfg.

For Ubuntu, install the Wine package. I don't remember where exactly you install them or how you do it. Used Ubuntu a long time back.

Oh ya, don't forgot to go to ebooktub.com, look in the linux section, you'll find plenty of ebooks about installation, using and mastering linux.
http://www.ebooktub.com/
Nice post. Some pics would be nice
next time i write a tut i'll keep that in mind.... im finished with this one
hope you found it helpful
It certainly will be helpful to newbies. I've been using Linux for a while now and installed distros more times than i can reember so it's second nature to me.