Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[TUT] How to Clean a Laptop Keyboard
How to Clean a Laptop Keyboard

Hello SF! I am creating this tut to help those who have sticky keyboards, or just want theirs clean.

Materials:
*Laptop with sticky keyboard.
*Small flat head screw driver.
*Cup or bowl of hot water.
*Rubbing Alcohol and cotton swab or cloth.
*Time and Patience.

Ok, Lets get started.

Step One:

Turn off your laptop, and take out the battery.

Step Two:
Get a small flat head screwdriver and pry off your keys.
Remember not too much pressure and be gentle. Laptop keys are meant to be popped off so don't freak out. TIP: Usually works best prying from the top, and you may want to take a picture of your keyboard.

Step Three:
Soak keys in a cup, or bowl of hot water. Leave them in the container until we are done with step four.

Step Four:

Take a cotton swab, or cloth (cloth works better for me) and lightly dampen with rubbing alcohol then dab/wipe the areas where there there is residue. TIP: Do NOT use too much liquid as it will damage your keyboard.

Step Five:
Dry the keys you had soaking from step three and Reassemble your keyboard. TIP: Go by rows. XD

Step Six:
Put in your battery and turn on your computer.
[Image: rbwq3a.png]
Very nice layout dude, and great tutorial.
Thanks drake, nice to see your a post whore today because you want that reward. XD.
[Image: rbwq3a.png]
(04-05-2010, 03:04 PM)Shadow Soul Wrote: Thanks drake, nice to see your a post whore today because you want that reward. XD.

Not just that, I am going to be very active on here because it's a great forum. ^_^
I'm too scared to put the keys in boiling water lol.
(04-05-2010, 03:04 PM)Shadow Soul Wrote: Thanks drake, nice to see your a post whore today because you want that reward. XD.

The reward got me wanting to be more active today too, but in the process I've noticed this site is really good. Thanks for the tutorial, I've been wanting to clean out my keyboard was thought it'd be too much to go through. Your directions don't look that hard, so I'm going to try it lol.
[Image: tje1.png]
It's nice, but for people who don't remember the keyboard layout, I don't suggest using this tut.

Why? Because this will pretty much erase the letters on the keyboard as well, and fade them away.
I clean my laptop's keyboard very easily, I just get a hoover and hoover the crap out of it, Of course i turn the sucking to the lowest setting since i had previous experience where it would just suck up all my keys on the Keyboard..... becomes a hassle to get them out again and put them back in.
[Image: 2jalumb.jpg]
Lol at sucking in all your keys. Mine dont get dirty that much with regular and daily wipes (just regular paper sweaping away dust)
[Image: deities.jpg]
(04-05-2010, 04:12 PM)aiir Wrote: I clean my laptop's keyboard very easily, I just get a hoover and hoover the crap out of it, Of course i turn the sucking to the lowest setting since i had previous experience where it would just suck up all my keys on the Keyboard..... becomes a hassle to get them out again and put them back in.

Yeah, but what if there are some stains or something on your keys? Taking a hoover wouldn't really do anything. But using a hoover is good for getting some things under and in between the keys. I know I have a lot of junk in there, as I eat while on my computer.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need help with the mouse and keyboard. Apples Are Good For You 3 1,355 05-23-2019, 02:57 AM
Last Post: JabirSheikh
  Velocity M10 keyboard problems ajm600 1 1,189 05-23-2019, 02:55 AM
Last Post: JabirSheikh
  [TUT] Guide to buying the right laptop for you [TUT] DJ Joink 10 2,928 08-20-2010, 11:58 AM
Last Post: Sharkey
  New Keyboard for my Laptop! Reece 6 3,915 07-04-2010, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Secret
  how to clean a laptop? Plkdrmmr 11 1,920 11-01-2009, 04:59 AM
Last Post: Niko Bellic