Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Tutorial] How to Keep your System Safe + Running Smoothly
------------------------------------------------------------------------
All Credit for this Goes to Me, Myself, and only I. If you Repost this somewhere else, All I ask is that you Either give credit in the Following format, before and after the Tutorial:

Code:
This is NOT my tutorial; with permission I have copied it off http://www.hackforums.net. It was originally written by the user "Đaŕқ Łiŋĸ" -- so I take absolutely no credit for this, as I did not assist in any way, shape, nor form. Link to original tutorial:

http://www.hackforums.net/showthread.php?tid=253857

Thanks.

Hello, and Welcome to my own little Tutorial on how to keep your System running Safe and Efficiently. If you follow this guide from the Get-Go, then you should have little to no problems when it comes to Your own Security and the Effectiveness of your Machine. If your computer is running Horrendously slow, then I would suggest you wipe your Computer (Read Sec. #5), get a New version of Windows / Linux / Mac (or what-have you), and start from scratch. Keep in mind every Link provided here sends you to a Free Program site, and as a Hacker you need to get the Idea of "Paying" for anything OUT.

Legend-
(*) = A Link to this Program/Site is Provided within this Tutorial.
What will be discussed in this Tutorial:

1.) The Basics, and What Firewall should I use?
2.) Techniques when sorting through Potentially Dangerous links or Downloads.
3.) Well, I have a Firewall, and a Grasp of what to do and not do... How do I protect myself If I slip up, or get rid of whatever it is ailing my system?
4.) I don't want to take any chances. What do I do to check my computer for anything Malicious, and get rid of it?
5.) fudge it. I'm starting over. What do I do?
6.) Links to material Mentioned within the Tutorial.

Section 1 : The Basics, and What Firewall should I use?

So, you want to be a Hacker? Want to Dabble in the Dark Arts that has been Looked down upon since the Days of Dial-up? Well, just keep the following in mind: "No matter what, there is always something more Cleverer then yourself. - Merlin "

--Part 1--

If your going to Survive on the Internet, then you are going to need a Shield. This shield is referred to as a Firewall. There has always been a Debate on which firewalls one should use, and which ones suck. Point blank, the Top 3 are the following, and It is up to you to Decide which one you wish to use.

#1 - COMODO Firewall and Internet Security (*)
#2 - Outpost Firewall (*)
#3 - Zone Alarm (*)

-These are Not listed in a Specific order, but I personally use COMODO Firewall. It is very Flexible, very easy to use, and for the most part is Hacker Friendly.

-Outpost has its own + and -'s about it, It's a little more Paranoid then COMODO, but still delivers outstanding Protection.

-Zone Alarm is probably the most annoying, as it will fret at the mere languish of the Word "Hack". However, it is very useful for Constant protection, and is Updated evenly (Just as the Others).

The purpose of a Firewall is to make sure that no Malicious programs are Downloaded onto your system without you knowing about it or approving it, and can even restrict access to certain connections going to/from your Computer.

Surfing the web without a Firewall is like screwing a 45 year old hooker; Don't take the chance, use Protection.

--Part Two--
This shouldn't really be in this TuT, but I thought I'd add it just to make sure.

-- Most (I'm pretty sure all, but still) Operating Systems come with a "De-fragmentation" application, and will allow your computer to automatically take strung out files and compress them, giving your System more memory and the Ability to perform tasks easier, for Longer, and quicker. Defrag weekly, and restart your computer after doing so.

After you have chosen yourself a Firewall, check out Sec. #2.

(If you are -Just- Re-formatting, please skip to Section 3. Failure to do such can put your system at Risk! If this is not the case, continue.)

Section 2 : Techniques when sorting through Potentially Dangerous links or Downloads.

Alright! You have your Firewall. Time to go Download some music and chill to re-live your success of achieving the Impossible; Internet Security! ...right?

No. You fail. You have a Wooden Shield, and I have Fiery Armor, and the biggest freakin Sword you've ever seen.... Also, of course, on fire.

You would lose. I promise.

Let's say your searching the Hackforums one day, and you come across a Thread providing Links to a Free Program that would otherwise be unattainable, or very difficult to crack. Well look at that.. They gave you a Link to the Program to Download. Noone else of course has seen the thread, and you are the first person to come across it, so there is not Guarantee as to the Authenticity of it. How do you tell if it is Malicious?

Easy. Get something that can scan the File(s), and give you an Accurate report on if it is Dangerous or not.

Lots of Hackers (Geeks too) use online scanners, rather then download anything that looks touchy. I've been guilty of this from time to time, but I'd rather be able to use a Program before a Website. Mainly because I am lazy, and I don't feel like opening another tab.

If you are this way, and want to use something easily, then I recommend to you Dr. Web LinkChecker (*). All you have to do is Right-Click the Link before you download it, move your Cursor to the Dr. Web option, and Left-Click. It will automatically search the file for anything Malicious, and report back to you.

There are some other ways to tell if your being Joked around with. For example, you want to Download a Song from a Specific Link, but the link is only 345KB in Size. Common sense should tell you; Any song, Compressed or not, that is about 4-5 minutes long is usually about 4-5 MB in size. 1 MB = 1024 KB. So, 345 KB = 1/3 Of 1 MB. That is Screaming Fail and Anguish. Use common sense and download Dr. Web (or use an Online scanner) and scan the File.

Keep in mind, Hackers will make there own files "FUD", which stands for Fully Undetectable, so caution is stressed when downloading anything from anyone. I implore you to do research on whatever song it is, whatever program, whatever it is, and see if there is a Safe + Legal Alternative to such. Google is your Friend.

Mainly all I can stress to you is only download files from a Trusted Provider or Source. I would trust someone here on the Hackforums with more Reputation and Publicity then someone with none, and I would trust a Moderator with even more, because they seem to be Trustable sources. But by all means, do NOT ever give anyone your Complete and Full trust. Whether on the Computer, or not.

Also. If you are using Limewire, Mp3 Rocket, Frostwire, or Bearshare... Just, fudge, Go ahead and Reformat. Your hopeless. Don't ask why, just trust me.

Section 3 : Well, I have a Firewall, and a Grasp of what to do and not do... How do I protect myself If I slip up, or get rid of whatever it is ailing my system?

Your next step is going to be getting an Anti-Virus program.

There are literally hundreds of AV's out there, hell I'm actually in the Middle of Programming my own... but which one is the best?

Honestly, there is no *Best* one, and I refuse to Argue the fact. Not all Antiviruses are as Awesome or Horrible as their competitors, but I have the Top 3 that most Hackers here, on the HF, use or can at least give credit to.

#1- Avira AntiVir Personal (*)
#2- Avast! Free / Pro (*)
#3- Kaspersky (*)

All of these have their ups and downs. If you want Medium Protection, get Avast. Avira is, and will remain, my personal favorite because of it's User-Friendly Interface and Flexibility. Its also really keen on getting those otherwise difficult to get Files and Folders. Kaspersky is a basic one, is free, and also has a Nice Interface. It is your own choice.

Remember, having a Strong and Reliable Firewall and AntiVirus is crucial for anyone, not just Hackers. Choose Carefully, and do your own individual research on each one before downloading.

Be sure to do Daily scans on your computer with your Anti-Virus. All three of these all have built in scanners, with customizable times as to when it will scan.

Section 4 : I don't want to take any chances. What do I do to check my computer for anything Malicious, and get rid of it?

I could give you a List of what to use and sort through for this, but I will be plain and Blunt; Spybot : Search and Destroy (*).

This is hands down the best and most useful Spyware Scanner / Detection Program, and can get rid of Malicious Files with the click of a button. I implore you to use this, along with your Firewall and Antivirus, to give yourself the best sense of Security available. Combining this with Defragging can really make an Improvement on your System, and is more or less referred to as weekly "Maintenance" for your Computer.

Be sure to not let your Computer run when you are not home. Not only does it waste power, but your computer staying Idle for long periods of time can Burn Virtual memory, and that isn't good. Restart your Computer after every Virus scan and Defrag.

Section 5 : fudge it. I'm starting over. What do I do?

If you have done everything above, but still your Computer acts Weird and Slow, then I recommend starting over. It's pretty simple, and I have just the Program for you.

Use DBAN : Boot and Nuke (*). Hence the name, you insert it into the Computers CDROM Drive, restart your Computer, and Get rid of Everything on the Drive.

Doing such will wipe your Computer Entirely CLEAN. Meaning, NOTHING. If you have any files, photos, etc. that is of value, by yourself a Flash-Drive and put it on the Drive. Make sure you scan the files, as putting the Virus that caused you to have to resort to such on a brand new computer is just... Stupid.

This program is very simple to use, as stated above. Put it in, Wham-Bam. Please, however, make sure you have another OS ready on a Seperate CDROM. Once you wipe the computer, everything is 100% Unrecoverable, and you will be unable to use the computer for anything until you reinstall a new Operating System. Which one you choose is at your own Discretion.

Additional Notes:

Countermeasure is a must if you plan to stay safe. As I come across new programs to prevent Keylogs, RATS, etc., I will post them here.

Anti-Keylogger: Keyscrambler (Google it)
Will crypt everything you type in Firefox.

Section 6 : Links to material Mentioned within the Tutorial.

Epic Credits Music:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdrs3gr_GAs[/youtube]

Section 1-

COMODO Firewall and Internet Security

Outpost Firewall Pro 2009

Zone Alarm Firewall

Section 2-

Dr. Web Online Scanner

Section 3-

Avira Anti-Virus

Avast! Antivirus

Kaspersky Antivirus

Section 4-

Spybot: Search and Destroy

Section 5-

DBAN : Boot and Nuke

This is my first Public Tutorial. I usually don't do these, but I was in a good mood. I would prefer you don't flame the thread, both for your sake and my own. If there is something you think should be added or taken away, Pm me. Confronting me in this Thread is not the best idea on your part, as I will unleash the fury of a Thousand Fires upon you. No joke.

If you liked this, Reputation is Always appreciated . This is 100% by me, and is not leeched from any source whatsoever. I did this for those who know little to nothing about personal Security, and I hope I have assisted you.

Helpful quotes approved by myself

(02-15-2010, 12:55 PM)The Flash Wrote: I'd also recommend having a Windows XP Virtual Machine to test software from untrusted sources.

I'd rather Nuke it than my desktop Big Grin

Have fun Searching the Net,

--Đaŕқ Łiŋĸ / Tank
[Image: 0fcb61bd256add2d3b03271e3fa0cfbb.gif]
Thanks for sharing your experience, it's really good tutorial.
Great selection of AV, Firewall and scanning resources. Thanks for this.
(02-19-2010, 09:07 AM)вαяσи™ Wrote: Great selection of AV, Firewall and scanning resources. Thanks for this.

Never a problem. I pride myself in helping those who have difficulty in doing so.
[Image: 0fcb61bd256add2d3b03271e3fa0cfbb.gif]
Nice and helpful guide. Keep it up bro.
Very through tutorial! Thanks for posting it Smile
I would also suggest:

Malware Bytes: http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-An...04572.html
Hijack This: http://downloads.malwareremoval.com/HijackThis.exe
WinPatrol: http://www.winpatrol.com/download.html

Also:

If someone sends you an email, please take the time to find out if they really are who they say they are (it's SOOOO easy to phish someone who isn't paying attention, and I can make just about any email look real, even in the header).
Fight Human Trafficking | Slavery Report
Discuss Space, Science, and Exploration | Space Inhabitation Coalition
Nice guide friend keep it up.
A brilliant tutorial, covering most aspects of basic security. I love the layout and how you have explained each stage and recommended certain products. A well written tutorial! Oui
Dark Lynx did pretty good on this. Nice.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How To Make Your Facebook Profile 100% SAFE Resistance 34 16,278 08-30-2019, 11:25 PM
Last Post: viraankumar
  COMODO Interent Security VS Iolo System Mechanic Professional w/ Iolo System Shield Net_Police_Officer.911 3 2,136 06-04-2014, 09:36 PM
Last Post: OpenSSL
  [WhiteHat Tutorial] How to improve our PC system and make it cleaner? Nympho 24 5,383 11-27-2011, 09:22 AM
Last Post: New Jersey
  Keep your PC safe Anon 5 2,031 06-20-2011, 08:03 PM
Last Post: ★ASI_F★™
  Suggestion to keep your computer running smoothly. Yin 21 3,708 12-12-2010, 07:26 PM
Last Post: SiR CRaCk AL0T