Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moved host.
lol dunno where this is going but could be fun. The previous convo was well not much fun thanks omni Sad

[Image: So_I_Herd_U_LIek_Ruddkipz_by_Zefyr158.jpg]

lol
The Rules!
FTW Forum <-- Home of the Damned! --> Join me On MM

Haha, I love the encyclopedia dramatica article on him (CBF to find it for you). So freakin funny.

Anyway, were tons off-topic and not in the OSHIT area Tongue And I'm going to bed!

I'll probably expect this thread to be closed by next time I log on!
(02-17-2010, 03:51 AM)Extasey Wrote: Haha, I love the encyclopedia dramatica article on him (CBF to find it for you). So freakin funny.

Anyway, were tons off-topic and not in the OSHIT area Tongue And I'm going to bed!

I'll probably expect this thread to be closed by next time I log on!

lol like most of ours today. Anyway this thread is due to be killed.

Can we get this thread deleted? It holds no purpose and i am the OP
The Rules!

(02-16-2010, 11:27 PM)Omniscient Wrote: Hostgator is one of the most reputable hosts around and located with ThePlanet which is probably the most reputable datacenter around.

Two points;

1) ThePlanet operate more than one data center

2) Reputation doesn't necessarily mean that TP is best data center firm around. From experience, their connectivity is dire, their support is horrendous, their prices are awful and their facilities, although promoted well, have fallen below standard as far as power redundancy goes in the past with numerous generator outages and power faults.

I've explored the possibility of using them multiple times in the past, and I've found far better service elsewhere - right now, we use GigeNET and Ubiquity in Chicago, with both averaging support response times in under 15 minutes and having far more capable networks than what I've seen from the planet. In particular, GigeNET have offered me excellent pricing and performance (which I have been able to pass down the line to clients) - eight bandwidth carriers and two peering locations is pretty amazing.

I'm not saying that The Planet are dreadful, but at the same time, I'm saying they're far from perfect.
Quote:Fact is i paid for the fuckin domain and you got a cut.

Do you think I really care? I actually told you to go with Dreamhost which gives me zero cut. I still don't think you should get a reseller account but it's your funeral. I seen you make bad decision after bad decision over the years. I feel sorry for you that's why I take the time to try and help you. I'd like to see you succeed because I know you're trying. But you keep failing and I know exactly why.

Quote:It was and is my loss. Not yours so i dont think you really need to get all bent out of shape.

It rubbed me the wrong way that I took the time to give you really solid advice only to be told my advice was bad. Which I still don't believe it was.

btw what was the site you tested with again? I lost the link. I have your DNS at HG you used. When I did try the link you sent me it had FTW.net.au using your AU DNS. Have you considered maybe your "test" was faulty? Did you do multiple tests at various locations? The site you sent me appeared to be a pretty crappy one. There is absolutely no way ThePlanet hosting was less reliable than your cheezy AU host. Just no damn way.

Quote:JUST SO EVERYONE KNOWS AS OMNI SEEMS TO HAVE A HARD ON FOR ME OVER THIS.

Yes I did get pissed about this yesterday. Today I sent you private apology.

Quote:vividWire replied as i would expect anyone with skill in this area.
You replied like you were personally offended.
See the difference here Omni? Read both posts a few times.

Yes the difference was I was helping you for free as a friend and they were helping you as a client. I do see the difference. Do you?

Quote:Anyone noticed how there banner is mysteriously like Omni's avatar?

What banner is that? I'd like to see it.

Quote:1) ThePlanet operate more than one data center

DNS he gave me apparently went to the Dallas datacenter which is considered their best one I believe.

Quote:2) Reputation doesn't necessarily mean that TP is best data center firm around.

Umm...that's exactly what it means. And support comes from HG not TP. TP's main concern is power and connectivity. Their backbone is one of the best.

Quote:I'm not saying that The Planet are dreadful, but at the same time, I'm saying they're far from perfect.

True. I know of some great networks too but really this is about HostGator more than TP. Name a host with a better rep than HG?
Superman I am here to rescue you.
This is Support Forums not Support PMs.  Do not PM me for support unless it's private and site related.
(02-17-2010, 12:16 PM)Omniscient Wrote: There is absolutely no way ThePlanet hosting was less reliable than your cheezy AU host. Just no damn way.
People's experiences vary from server to server, from support ticket to support ticket etc. Therefore, it could have been less reliable - even though TP have evidently served you well.

(02-17-2010, 12:16 PM)Omniscient Wrote: Yes the difference was I was helping you for free as a friend and they were helping you as a client. I do see the difference. Do you?
I'm on this forum to help people - that wasn't a bit of marketing banter or anything. If he wanted to give us a try, then I'd happily help him in that regard - as I would if he was having an issue with another host. Apologies if my style of writing seemed to indicate something else.

(02-17-2010, 12:16 PM)Omniscient Wrote: Umm...that's exactly what it means. And support comes from HG not TP. TP's main concern is power and connectivity. Their backbone is one of the best.
They do have something like 340GBPS connectivity, but that's relative - they need a bigger backbone as they host more servers. Nevertheless, I've always been disappointed with TP's overall connectivity - eight T1 carriers at Gig and four at Ubiquity (with their own US-wide IP network). IMHO the choice between the two makes it a no brainer. I've been with many companies in the past, and if you compare carrier diversity, TP is average.

I'm more than aware that HG provide the support - I'm just mentioning that from experience, TP's support hasn't been excellent. This also has a knock on effect - if you're hosted on a server which is experiencing hardware issues and need your host to sort it, they will depend on a TP engineer to get on to it so that you can get back online. Therefore, if TP support is lousy, the clients on that server might have to wait longer for a resolution to take place. That is, unless your company has on site techs at the data center.

(02-17-2010, 12:16 PM)Omniscient Wrote: True. I know of some great networks too but really this is about HostGator more than TP. Name a host with a better rep than HG?
It is to do with both of them - the issue pertains to TP's network as much as it does to HG's choice of supplier and the circumstances around the issue. You can't say one host has a better rep than another either - how do you judge it? It's not a no brainer, and although HG are liked by many webmasters, many people have also had negative experiences with them - if this wasn't the case, then I wouldn't have had to perform a few HG > TFF migrations in the past two months, and this thread wouldn't exist.

I completely respect the fact that the experiences shared by you and others may be positive, but I also respect that the OP may not have liked their experience with HG - although that doesn't necessarily mean they're a bad host overall, it could indicate that they simply aren't the right kind of host/don't offer the level of service that the OP desires.
Quote:Therefore, it could have been less reliable - even though TP have evidently served you well.

I am not a TP client. I have clients that use them and I am well aware of their services and backbone. Personally I prefer other networks and I think TP is overpriced. However that doesn't really matter when it comes to what HG offers for the average client like Damink. His requirements are average at best. He needs basic hosting support which HG offers in spades. Despite his experience. Just because he recieved unsatisfactory support for a day doesn't mean overall his experience wouldn't have been better than another host. Every host has horror stories from clients at some point. If you been in this game as long as you say then you'll agree.

I've used my fair share of hosts for shared environments, colocation, and dedicated rentals.

Can you name some shared hosts you would recommend to a client or friend if it wasn't your own hosting company? 1&1? Hostgator? Bluehost? Who? I'd like to hear from you which shared hosting company you would personally use.

I have a Dreamhost account, Servage account, and control over 2 HG accounts. Plus I currently have 2 dedicated at LSN, and 2 colocation servers at 2 other providers. Plus I have root to 3 other client servers on various servers. Just to put out my pedigree for you.

Quote:if this wasn't the case, then I wouldn't have had to perform a few HG > TFF migrations in the past two months

You're not impartial. It's your job and living to convince people to leave their host in favor of yours. I actually recommended Dreamhost which had zero benefit for me.

Quote: but I also respect that the OP may not have liked their experience with HG

IMHO he switched way too fast without giving HG any chance to be his host. He gave it less than 48 hours...not even enough time for DNS to fully propogate.

Besides running theforumforge for the past few months exactly what you have accomplished as a host?
This is Support Forums not Support PMs.  Do not PM me for support unless it's private and site related.
Here is the series of events that lead up to this just to clarify.

I purchased a VPS off my Aussie host and am very disappointed with it. Buggy as all crap so i asked Omni his advice.
Now he suggested i try another host for VPS so i did.

First thoughts on new host. Excellent.
They had my account up in a matter of minutes!! Where my aussie host took 4 days!. Big win right there.
There prices are excellent. NO comparison between them and my aussie host. Big win again.
Configuring was simple and over all i was extremely pleased.
Now i first ran into trouble when i tried to upload my forum. (Nearly 6 gig in total)
It kept on missing files during the ftp connection. Now not fails rather just missed them seemingly.
I tried for a day well slightly more to up all the files and kept having issues.
So right there i was a little annoyed but could deal with it.
Next i start to notice lag on the forum. Images really slow to load etc.
I then get complaints from my members of the same problem.
At this point i decide to run a test from a third party website and it confirms what i thought was happening.
Now i decide at this point to move back to my original "Shared host" on aussie host not my VPS there.
Simply because i have been with them for years now and there reliable and because its my forum i want it to remain reliable.
Do i still have the host account at both? Yes i do.
I have several websites and are hosting others websites already on the US host and have no intention of taking them down at this point.
As for testing omni i will change dns of another domain i have and point it there.
The forum is still there so tests could be done further quite easily.
Final note and a real main decision maker for me was i had downtime on the second day it was up.
Sure not long but downtime none the less.
How can i know this for sure? I run a pc simply watching my favorite sites. Its auto refreshing every 5 seconds.
So when a site goes down i get a 404 page and the refresh stops.

This turned into a whole "thing" and probably shouldn't have.
The Rules!

I see not one mention of a support request sent to HG about the matter.

Your FTP problems could be for many reasons. Does your client software support multiple connections and restarts of bad connects? And as I mentioned you should have just archived it all and made one file upload. 6 gigs...wtf are you hosting. All my sites combined aren't 6gigs. You should have just started with your forums and database and then move the rest over seperately.

When you had HG downtime you should have contacted them. They do have uptime guarantee and as a new client you should be testing their support.

I just don't think you have the experience to make good decisions on a host.
(02-17-2010, 01:29 PM)Omniscient Wrote: Just because he recieved unsatisfactory support for a day doesn't mean overall his experience wouldn't have been better than another host. Every host has horror stories from clients at some point. If you been in this game as long as you say then you'll agree.
Yes, you are correct in saying that - but in a way, it's good that the OP has moved back. I'd rather return and have full faith in the company I previously dealt with as opposed to staying and doubting my future at my new host. His decisions are his decisions, and I entirely respect them.

(02-17-2010, 01:29 PM)Omniscient Wrote: Can you name some shared hosts you would recommend to a client or friend if it wasn't your own hosting company? 1&1? Hostgator? Bluehost? Who? I'd like to hear from you which shared hosting company you would personally use.
That's a topic which I shall never discuss whilst I remain in this business - despite being an interesting question. I've been with many shared and VPS hosts in the past, and if I were to leave the industry, I would go for a Xen/KVM based VPS purely on the grounds of control.

(02-17-2010, 01:29 PM)Omniscient Wrote: You're not impartial. It's your job and living to convince people to leave their host in favor of yours.
In the case of the company I'm behind, yes - but that still doesn't stop me from offering friendly advice and assistance, despite this bias. People from various forums have PM'ed me in the past asking for advice, and I've given it without turning it into a marketing rant.

(02-17-2010, 01:29 PM)Omniscient Wrote: IMHO he switched way too fast without giving HG any chance to be his host. He gave it less than 48 hours...not even enough time for DNS to fully propogate.
That may be the case, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. If he feels that what he did is best for him, then it's something which one should accept.

(02-17-2010, 01:29 PM)Omniscient Wrote: Besides running theforumforge for the past few months exactly what you have accomplished as a host?
You'd be surprised - I'm behind three companies, and also act as an advisor to developing hosts. There's more than you would normally care to imagine below the tip of the iceberg - but that topic ends here ;)

I entirely respect both of your points, and I'm sure you made your recommendation to the OP in good faith. At the end of the day, if the OP has moved back to a host which he feels more comfortable with, then that's his choice to make.

I wish both of you the best of luck with your hosting decisions in the future, and look forward to seeing how you guys are doing with your providers in a few months time.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Choosing a good host, The right host for you. 4EVERPROXY 6 3,085 05-09-2014, 09:47 AM
Last Post: NexSolutions