Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moved host.
Ok i moved hosts for a variety of reasons. Mainly for fun and a little related to Aussie laws that are to come to pass soonish.

Now i moved to hostgator after some advice.
Now i have to be honest. What a mistake.

Same forum exactly. Just different domains and host.

My new host..... hostgator. Sad
Your speed test result:
URL: http://ftw.net.au
Measured speed (using 10 mbps connection): 5.39 sec

My old host....... Crazydomains Smile

Your speed test result:
URL: http://f*ck-the-world.com.au
Measured speed (using 10 mbps connection): 3.95 sec

Now neither were quick actually but wow man. I thought going to a US based server would help. But not one bit.
I cant even upload all my files in one go. The damn thing cant handle it.
Very disappointing actually.
Anyone else use this host? If so whats your opinions on it?
My current thought is to move back to my beloved host.
The Rules!
FTW Forum <-- Home of the Damned! --> Join me On MM

To be honest, I'd move to The Forum Forge. I have it, and it's pretty amazing. I beleive vividWire and Zomaian from here are on the team. Smile
At the top will be the same place you hang from.
I'm sorry to hear that you've been having a poor experience over at HG.

As an "unlimited host", it will be in HG's interests to ensure that each node remains as full as possible - and as a result of that, more websites may be placed on your server. Now, let's say that the server you're hosted on has a 100MBPS connection (more than likely), and you've got 60 customers on that, each using 1MBPS constantly (that will probably never happen, but it's here as an example) - therefore, the available bandwidth is 40MBPS, and so the maximum speed you will be able to attain is that if the connection from your end to HostGator is capable of supporting such speeds. What I'm saying is, if you've been put on a relatively packed server, speeds will be lower due to less available bandwidth.

Another factor you will have to take in to account is bandwidth carriers and connectivity. By the looks of things, your current host (before you moved to HostGator) are based with a facility in Australia, and because there is a smaller distance between you and this carrier, of course you're going to experience better speeds as there is a shorter distance for the data to travel.

If you are in the market for switching hosts, then run some pings to their sites, contact possible candidates in advance, learn about their offerings and even ask if you can download a speed test file to see what you can achieve. Lots of people might recommend HostGator, but it's up to you to investigate them and see if they're the best possible choice for you - what works for some won't work for others. :)

I truly wish you the best of luck with your quest - if you need any help or advice, then feel free to get in touch over PM and I'll happily help you out...
He is complaining about a 1.4 second difference and about 30%. He is in AU so of course there is going to be a much larger difference in connection times. I'm shocked it's only 30% considering.

Quote:Now neither were quick actually but wow man. I thought going to a US based server would help. But not one bit.

Going US based to a RELIABLE and REPUTABLE host was going to help you in ways other than your own connection to the site. How did you not know that switching to a US based host wouldn't effect your personal connection to the site?

Hostgator is one of the most reputable hosts around and located with ThePlanet which is probably the most reputable datacenter around.

So over your 1.4 second lapse we should believe Hostgator sucks?
Superman I am here to rescue you.
This is Support Forums not Support PMs.  Do not PM me for support unless it's private and site related.
(02-16-2010, 11:27 PM)Omniscient Wrote: He is complaining about a 1.4 second difference and about 30%. He is in AU so of course there is going to be a much larger difference in connection times. I'm shocked it's only 30% considering.

Going US based to a RELIABLE and REPUTABLE host was going to help you in ways other than your own connection to the site. How did you not know that switching to a US based host wouldn't effect your personal connection to the site?

Hostgator is one of the most reputable hosts around and located with ThePlanet which is probably the most reputable datacenter around.

So over your 1.4 second lapse we should believe Hostgator sucks?

No need to take our private talk and make it public now is there omni?
Fact is mate!!! i was fully aware of what was to take place.
Jesus christ. Just because you were the one to suggest the host now your getting all pissey.
As for a host helping me in ways other than connection?
What you mean uptime? well it went down in the first damn day mate!
Bah i am over this convo.
You mean support? Well that was the final kicker for me to leave actually.
But you will never agree and i could not care.
I tried to explain to you yet you take it personal.
Fact is i paid for the fuckin domain and you got a cut.
I am the one who moved everything back and forth.
You were not.
It was and is my loss. Not yours so i dont think you really need to get all bent out of shape.

JUST SO EVERYONE KNOWS AS OMNI SEEMS TO HAVE A HARD ON FOR ME OVER THIS.
THIS WAS FARKIN TESTED FROM A US BASED TOOL NOT ME FROM AUSTRALIA. SO THE RESULTS ARE EVEN WORSE.
A us based tool tested the us based host and the aussie host.
The forums on each were identical. Identical database etc etc etc. Simply different host and url.
The reason i even tested was because i noticed a huge difference in speed. Sure i understood i am from australia and hosted on a us host could slow it down.
God damn. This was factored in to it. I would not have minded if it was nearly as fast. But fact is it was not close.
Fact is i could not even hold a decent ftp connection to the host for a long period.
Fact is i had downtime after day 1.

Final note on this one is this.
vividWire replied as i would expect anyone with skill in this area.
You replied like you were personally offended.
See the difference here Omni? Read both posts a few times.
Sure i rant and rave but i care not and thats what i do.
You on the other hand well............ Im over you man.

There was clearly a speed issue. I had many members complain. And guess what omni. There were not all aussies!!
The Rules!

What new laws are coming in?
(02-17-2010, 03:03 AM)Extasey Wrote: What new laws are coming in?

The internet censorship laws in Aussie land man.

http://www.supportforums.net/showthread....censorship

( yep i used search Smile )

Great thread by Tim.
The Rules!

Oh lol, yeah I think I skimmed over that before... So its actually coming in? Pretty silly and doesn't seem to be very well thought out. Isn't anonymous currently running a DOS on some of the government servers? I heard they were pretty hard core as well.
Yea man lol They are. But it only lasted a few hrs. They really need to step it up if there going to have any success.
Anyone noticed how there banner is mysteriously like Omni's avatar? Smile
Lets start our own conspiracy shall we?

Na lets not as this is actually quite serious. Still quite funny.
The Rules!

(02-17-2010, 03:24 AM)DAMINK™ Wrote: Anyone noticed how there banner is mysteriously like Omni's avatar? Smile
:O

Ruddkipz is a jerk.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Choosing a good host, The right host for you. 4EVERPROXY 6 3,195 05-09-2014, 09:47 AM
Last Post: NexSolutions