Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
router at college...
I'm not sure if my college allows routers or not, but I'd rather not take a chance on getting caught. Does anyone know how someone would be able to pinpoint me using an IP or MAC address? I mean, it's not like they give away my position using radar or satellite tracking, etc. How would they be able to know it is me with only these two things?
If you access any site you give away your ip address. I assume your connection from another location?
If so then yes they will certainly know. And if its only locally then also they would know by your local address or mac address.
Everything is logged somewhere. And on a school network i would CERTAINLY expect some sort of logging to take place.
The Rules!
FTW Forum <-- Home of the Damned! --> Join me On MM

just use a proxy but id recommend a VPN they hide your ip the whole time so youer fully hidden all the time.
It is better to check their policies on using a router in your dorm.
They can easily see the devices logged in and using internet if they have very smart network admins.
Just ask if you can use an encrypted wireless router for personal use.
Let them set the password if they really want! Tongue

They can see all routers connected though and with some software which most schools have, a good location on where it is.
Your machine will be visable on the network and PC name. eg. Mark-Laptop. Can they track you via satalite? no.
If your are worried about it, just get one of those wireless usb modems.
[Image: sprint_3g-4g_usb_modem_u300_4.jpg]
The worse your college would do is give you a warning anyway. Why not just ask?
[Image: 28715j4.jpg]
(04-06-2010, 09:02 AM)Shadaw Wrote: The worse your college would do is give you a warning anyway. Why not just ask?

No, the worse a college could do is kick you out, as a part of a zero tolerance policy.
[Image: tje1.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Get Asus Router Support Number +1-877-717-0787 USA luciferjonas007 0 591 01-23-2020, 03:15 AM
Last Post: luciferjonas007
  Problem connecting WiFi router lionhawk 1 1,068 12-25-2019, 11:31 PM
Last Post: rickmartin.gt
  How to make my PC as wireless Router debasishsahu4u 2 1,168 12-25-2019, 11:30 PM
Last Post: rickmartin.gt
  [Networking question] QoS in router, trouble with subnet mask [Solved] prooving 0 917 07-03-2012, 11:53 PM
Last Post: prooving
  router cfw Coconuthead93 0 806 04-21-2012, 08:21 AM
Last Post: Coconuthead93