Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need an opinion
Well the thing is this I installed Windows xp to a computer, but it didn't went well, and I'm deciding to install linux in it.

What distro should I choose between Ubuntu and Mint, and what are the requirements in order to installed.

Other pc has 256 mbs of Ram, 4 gb of hard disk {I know is really bad, but is not mine}

Does the computer meet the requirements to install Ubuntu or Linux Mint?
[Image: mynewsig.jpg]

Want to know how to stop offline Phisher for good, well click here
I'm not really sure now but for older PC's you should consider Xbunutu
it was designed for older systems with less ram and ghz....
It is same as Ubuntu
Yea the computer was running on Windows 98, and it was missing some icons, network etc.

I'm going to look for Xubuntu then Smile

(10-07-2009, 02:51 PM)Acekidd01 Wrote: Well the thing is this I installed Windows xp to a computer, but it didn't went well, and I'm deciding to install linux in it.

What distro should I choose between Ubuntu and Mint, and what are the requirements in order to installed.

Other pc has 256 mbs of Ram, 4 gb of hard disk {I know is really bad, but is not mine}

Does the computer meet the requirements to install Ubuntu or Linux Mint?

Ubuntu and Mint are both very similar. 256mb of RAM should be just enough to run either properly.

The 4gb of HD space is going to suck no matter what OS you choose, but you should be fine.
[Image: MreGSXsigcopy.png]

So is good running Linux mint in this pc?

I recommend puppy or DSL, maybe slitaz, for the 4 gig one. and try Xbuntu if you computer is a little slow.
(10-07-2009, 03:00 PM)Acekidd01 Wrote: So is good running Linux mint in this pc?

Yeah, it's not going to be extremely fast, but it will work. There's just not much more you can expect out of a PC with those specs.

By the way, I do prefer Mint over Ubuntu, though I do not use Linux frequently.
[Image: MreGSXsigcopy.png]

If youyr computer is slow, again i'd like to say a smaller distro is better. Puppy and DSL, are the two fastest smallest most packaged distros. Slitaz is small and basic, and Xbuntu is the largest of this group, but is fairly fast. I would not recommend, any full distro for either of the machines.
Thanks for your opinions I decided to install Xubuntu on it.