Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linux Mint 8 vs Ubuntu 9.10
Which one is better? I heard Ubuntu is harder for newcomers, but Mint is a bit bloated with all the codecs etc. installed. I'm a newcomer and I want to know which one is faster to be dual booting with XP? I'll probably put 10-20 GB of space into the Linux partition.
[Image: 29ol3br.png]
(01-24-2010, 11:33 AM)revolt Wrote: Which one is better? I heard Ubuntu is harder for newcomers, but Mint is a bit bloated with all the codecs etc. installed. I'm a newcomer and I want to know which one is faster to be dual booting with XP? I'll probably put 10-20 GB of space into the Linux partition.
Where'd you hear the Ubuntu is hard for newcomers? Read my tutorial on installing Ubuntu. I recommend Ubuntu 9.10. I've used Mint and it sucks. If you have any questions on set-up or fine-tuning, let me know.
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. Love is the law, love under will.
.::The Rights of Man::.
It's harder because you have to manually install flash, plugins, codecs etc.
[Image: 29ol3br.png]
(01-24-2010, 12:37 PM)revolt Wrote: It's harder because you have to manually install flash, plugins, codecs etc.
LOL, you call that hard? Just look online and it'll tell you how to install all the codecs you need. And how hard is it to install flash? Ubuntu is the easiest/most-functional linux distro I've used.
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. Love is the law, love under will.
.::The Rights of Man::.
Ubuntu hard? Its easy open add remove. Search restricted packages. Done :p
Ubuntu for sure.
[Image: jcXtui.png]
There is a little problem with 9.10. It is Ubuntu Software Center. But It is not a big deal. U can reinstall the USC and it will be ok.
for me ubuntu BTW.
When I first started using Linux, I went with Ubuntu .. God, that was back with 6.10 .. Anyway, I had NO idea what I was doing, and somehow I still found my way around. Ubuntu is great for new Linux users, and they also have great support available via IRC.
Ubuntu is the EASIEST FUNCTIONAL linux os for new comers, I don't know who told you ubuntu was harder, but that person sure is an idiot.
You DON'T have to install manually, there is a package manager.
[Image: vhc689.jpg]
do noт мaĸe мe мad. ι wιll ĸιll yoυ.
-rep me if you want to get banned! please!
Anonymous rep is for freakin cowards!
N00BUNTU Hard? Pahahaha.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [TUT] Create your own PPTP VPN using Ubuntu Linux Kotto*N[ix]mouth 12 10,005 04-22-2013, 06:10 AM
Last Post: marwan83
  My system freezes every now and then [Linux Mint] prince76 0 803 03-18-2012, 07:45 AM
Last Post: prince76
  Get Ubuntu 11.04 >>Upgrade from Ubuntu 10.10 aminmusa 15 6,987 04-25-2011, 02:06 AM
Last Post: aminmusa
  [ubuntu v=9.10]Apache2 errors[/ubuntu] jfmherokiller 10 3,626 11-23-2010, 08:26 PM
Last Post: haphazard
  Linux Ubuntu 10.10 [Maverick Meerkat] cheeseburger 3 1,174 10-28-2010, 07:09 PM
Last Post: Reality