Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The most popular programming language
(01-15-2010, 01:45 PM)Lareak Wrote: In short words:

you cannot compare apples and oranges
[Image: 180px-Apple_and_Orange_-_they_do_not_compare.jpg]

Basically, yes. Thank you, I forgot all about that saying.
<Aoi-chan> everyone's first vi session. ^C^C^X^X^X^XquitqQ!qdammit[esc]qwertyuiopasdfghjkl;:xwhat
Well if you think actually you can compare every language with others....
The main problem, people oversee what a languega is capable of...
For example you can compare Python with PHP and also with C++, but you can't compare C++ with PHP....

In other words, I agree with Psycho... When choosing a language to learn you should best keep your fingers from such popularity things...
And choose the one you think it suits you better, read everything ;)
(01-15-2010, 08:59 AM)Psycho Wrote: But they are all used for their own things. I don't know why people insist on comparing languages like this.
You just can't compare PHP and C++. You cannot compare Perl and Assembly. You're comparing spoons with forks as if they were made for the same thing.
Unfortunately, in the world of programming there's not really a spork. C(++), Objective-C, Java and PHP are everywhere.
You'll find Objective-C in iPod and iPhone apps, you'll find Java just about anywhere in other phones, you'll find PHP all over the Internet and C(++) mostly in software and such. I hope no one uses this "language popularity contest" as a deciding factor in their decision on what programming language they'll learn.
My advice to beginners: use everything.
I realize that and that wasn't the objective of this thread, I just thought it was interesting how certain languages have become more popular and more "commercial". Every language has its ups and downs and I am wondering now how this chart will progress.
[Image: izsyo6.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [TuT] Getting started with Java Programming! BlackSpider 53 14,663 08-03-2011, 03:05 AM
Last Post: Deceive
  Is Java a Popular Language? nevets04 6 1,715 12-11-2009, 05:54 AM
Last Post: Sagittarius