Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[Tut] How to install Ruby on Mac, Windows and Linux
Hey.

If you're new to Ruby there is a few things you're going to need to actually start learning + practising Ruby. Apart from Ruby itself; there is such things and irb, etc. etc.

Installing Ruby on Windows
Installing Ruby on Windows is really easy. Because of the WIndows nature, they have a one-click Ruby Installer. Just follow the link below to Rubyforge and download and run the One-click Ruby intsaller.

Ruby One-Click installer for Windows.

Installing Ruby on Mac
Now, it's hard for me to really say how to install Ruby on Mac, as I don't use it. But I beleive Mac has Ruby Preinstalled, Ruby CoCoa or something. But I've also heard in other places that it's often Out-dated, and needs to be updated. You can just go to Rubyforge, and search for Mac Ruby, and it'll tell you what to do.

Installing Ruby on Linux
It's so easy to install everything you will need to learn Ruby on Linux. Depending on your package manager, all you'll need to do is write install the main Ruby Packages. Here is an example of how to install Ruby on Ubuntu or Mint Linux (Anything that uses apt-get):
Code:
sudo apt-get install ruby irb rdoc
Just simply replace apt-get with your package manager, with yum or whatever.

Thanks for reading and I hope this helps you out with learning Ruby. Smile
-Jordan.
At the top will be the same place you hang from.
Awsome....
It's actually a double-click, but yeah I got you ;)
I was thinking to get back at ruby, so I can code some scripts for the RPG Maker XP/VX... And SF can gelp me now Big Grin
Yeah, it's double click, but it's called the One Click installer, but haha, same same.

MoTU, I think you should get back into Ruby, it's a great language and easy to pick up. We could also help eachother out.. I'm only just learning too!
(01-14-2010, 02:48 AM)trilobyte- Wrote: Yeah, it's double click, but it's called the One Click installer, but haha, same same.

MoTU, I think you should get back into Ruby, it's a great language and easy to pick up. We could also help eachother out.. I'm only just learning too!

I will, but you know the situation and atm I'm not be able to learnin it...
I see Ruby is easy as Python is, so Ruby is next on my list!
I've never tried Ruby, although I've noticed alot of people seem to be learning. I thought why not be different? I'll go the more unique language. And so far I've enjoyed every moment of it. It's great language.
thank you im Installing now didnt know what it was
[Image: ibwj3Y.png]
Fire Flame..Fire..Fa..Fire Flame Stunna...100Million Dolla
Thanks nice guide
Thanks installing now, ruby is going to be my next programming language.
[Image: angelsig.jpg]

Thanks going to install right now and I am going to try the calculator the other kid posted.
[Image: breaky.png]
Thank you for this awesome tutorial.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Getting Started With Ruby eax 7 4,728 12-13-2012, 10:03 AM
Last Post: L-Carnitine
  Ruby eBook sockatobi 7 2,773 12-13-2012, 07:48 AM
Last Post: L-Carnitine
  what is ruby on rails DaUB3R 3 1,849 11-01-2012, 04:20 AM
Last Post: johnnymward
  Should I Start Ruby? BreShiE 13 4,999 11-13-2011, 04:14 PM
Last Post: Speedy