Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Laptop keeps making noises.
Hello guys. I'm running Ubuntu 9.10, and every other minute, I hear a short sound that sounds like someone plugging in headphones in a jack, or something. I hope y'all know what I'm talking about. Kind of like feedback, but it isn't high pitched. Take, for example, if you took your headphone cord and put it in your jack and wriggled it around; that's what it sounds like, but it only lasts for like a split second. I hear it even when my computer is muted, and I don't know what's causing it. It didn't do this when I had Windows.

The only things plugged into my computer is my power cord (because my battery is terrible and dies if it isn't plugged in) and my keyboard (wireless USB by logitech). Both work fine. However, even if I unplug the keyboard, I still hear this sound.

I've tried restarting.
Is there any way to pinpoint the issue?
It also doesn't do this when I run Linux Mint.
Ideas?
Are you using ALSA or OSS?
(01-13-2010, 07:30 PM)Aristotle Wrote: Are you using ALSA or OSS?

I don't know what those mean.

However, someone at HF fixed it for me. It turns out that was my onboard mic making the noise. I simply muted it and it fixed the problem.

Thanks anyway.
Okay then, neither. BTW ALSA and OSS, are two different systems for sound. Some sound cards prefer OSS over the default ALSA.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Random Noises in Linux. manipulate 0 492 10-21-2009, 07:42 AM
Last Post: manipulate