Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Operating System
Ok when you look into hosting you start to see operating systems like CentOS, Fedora, Ubuntu and many more. I'm new to this so wanted to know what's the most reliable, easiest to manage?

If you can explain why you choose whatever you choose that'll be nice as well Smile

Thanks Smile
puppy Linux is the easiest imo. Thats what I used for mine.
[Image: fade-Signature.gif]
-Thanks Extasey Thumbsup
It depends, are you talking about Paid hosting?

Most paid hosting doesn't make you actually manage a server from the shell. They usually give you a cPanel. Mine doesn't say exactly what UNIX, it just says UNIX.

But if you're talking about your own home server, then I reccomend Fedora. My mate and I have one that he has at his house in Tassie, it's great for us to share stuff, as I ive on the otherside of the country.
At the top will be the same place you hang from.
(01-12-2010, 03:12 AM)trilobyte- Wrote: It depends, are you talking about Paid hosting?

Most paid hosting doesn't make you actually manage a server from the shell. They usually give you a cPanel. Mine doesn't say exactly what UNIX, it just says UNIX.

But if you're talking about your own home server, then I reccomend Fedora. My mate and I have one that he has at his house in Tassie, it's great for us to share stuff, as I ive on the otherside of the country.

All servers will do that, that isn't a good reason why Fedora is better than anything else.

Anyway, I recommend FreeBSD; I've tried many operating systems 'live' and FreeBSD has been the easiest and it's very secure by default. If you have to go with Linux...go with CentOS; It's just like RHEL (Red Hat) but without the branding and support, and unless you're doing something 'mission-critical' you won't need the support...you have Google and IRC.
[Completely Honest. Seriously.]

Protip: Anonymous Reputation Points are for Pussies
(01-12-2010, 04:39 AM)iintens Wrote: All servers will do that, that isn't a good reason why Fedora is better than anything else.

Anyway, I recommend FreeBSD; I've tried many operating systems 'live' and FreeBSD has been the easiest and it's very secure by default. If you have to go with Linux...go with CentOS; It's just like RHEL (Red Hat) but without the branding and support, and unless you're doing something 'mission-critical' you won't need the support...you have Google and IRC.

I never said that he SHOULD go with Fedora, I was merely pointing out that that was my reccomendation. My point saying that my mate and I use it to share files wasn't my point, at all. I was just stating that I have used it before, and I like it. If he wants some info on my I think it's good, he'll ask.
At the top will be the same place you hang from.
Unless you plan on managing it yourself, go with CentOS. It's the most widely supported option by hosts when you are using a VPS or dedi.
Do you know how to make games? Do you know 3d Modeling? If so then visit
[Image: logo.png]
thanks Grizzly and trilo and iintens and fade for your input...i might go with CentOS
(01-12-2010, 12:01 PM)SYST3M4T1C Wrote: thanks Grizzly and trilo and iintens and fade for your input...i might go with CentOS

Yep, ditto for everyone who has mentioned CentOS so far - it's free, stable and widely supported. The only other box I have is a Debian "sandbox" VPS over in Atlanta...and, after posting this, I'm going to reimage it - writing this message has compelled me to do so!
2 words for you:

UU: Use Ubuntu

Because its very light
OpenBsd/FreeBsd

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is Dedicated Server: Explore the Best Operating Systems for Your Server tk-hassan 0 1,897 06-12-2023, 04:54 AM
Last Post: tk-hassan