Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[TUT] Vector with Photoshop [advanced]
Vector with Photoshop

[Image: goal.png]The goal of this tutorial is to learn how to vector a poor quality image to a beautiful one, everything with Photoshop. (so, without Illustrator !)
Let's take this image for our tutorial :

[Image: 1_77.png]

As you see, the quality is really poor, we can see the pixels everywhere, well, it's ugly...

There is some rules to follow for this tutorial :
  • Create a new layer for every element you add ; for example, create 3 layers if you want to add 3 differents color in the hair. My final work on this image contains 36 differents layers. So, don't hesitate to create new ones !
  • You have to be patient ; the vector work is really very long for beginners, so, don't give up !
  • Don't use effects till you haven't finished your entire work.

So... Let's start !

I ) Hair
  • I very often begin with the hairs, when i vector a character.
    First of all, fill the hairs with a background color ; take the lighter one, and do that like this, everything with the Pen Tool.

[Image: 2_21.png]

Well, i know, she looks like a bit stupid like this … But don't worry Smile
    Now, create a new layer, select the previous one, and fill in it the shadow in her hairs.

[Image: Untitled-5.png] > Hey, stop Sad How do i select my previous layer ?
    Just Ctrl + Left clic on it, in the Layers Window :

[Image: 3_14.png]

So, we have something like that now … :

[Image: 4_19.png]

Damn … She still looks like ugly like that … but be patient Smile

Now, take the polygonal lasso tool, with a 30-40px radius, and select the top of your shadow layer, and press the delete button, like that :

[Image: 5_2.png]

This makes a gradiant color ; it just looks better like that.
    Now, create a new layer, and do exactly the same thing with the darker hairs :
    [Image: 6_14.png]

Not bad, isn't it ?

Finally, take the Pencil Tool, draw some light effects in her hairs ;
    then, take the Brush Tool, draw a curve under the light effects, and apply a Glaussian Blur (Effect > Blur > Glaussian Blur) effet on it ;
    We now may have that :

[Image: 7_1.png]

We have almost finished with her hairs !
    Now, select the first layer (the background color), and draw some outlines outside of the select, like that :

[Image: 8_18.png]

So … We have our hairs !

[Image: 9_7.png]

You can notice that there are some imperfections, but i often fix them at the end.

II ) The face
  • We are going to put ALL the layers of the face under the layers of the hairs.
    Exactly with the same method as for the hairs, draw the background color, and the shadows :

[Image: 10_18.png]

III ) The eyes
  • For my opinion, it is the hardest part of a character ; you have to work a lot in a small surface, it's not easy.

I do the thing like that :

1 – Fill the entire eyes in black
    2 – Fill the eyes with a gradiant color
    3 – Draw the darker part in the eye
    4 – Add light effects, and add some gradiant colors between them.

[Image: 11_3.png]

Feel free to change the eyes color if you want ; i changed mine in a blue color, i prefer like that ^^
    Now, just add the nose and the mouth, some shadows …
    And we are done with this tutorial !

[Image: 12sf.png]
    (I fixed some parts in that image)

I hope you liked it !

Enjoy.

Additional images :
Good work! That's just perfect tutorial.
Thanks for teaching!

Awsome output there....
Damn, you are really good at this. Of course I'd think that since you made my sig, but still. Damn.... :p
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. Love is the law, love under will.
.::The Rights of Man::.
Thank you Master of The Universe ^^
This tutorials tooks me almost 2 - 3 hours to do ;
As Tasemu noticed on HF, vectoring is really hard for the amount of work that it involved, i guess ... What a pity Sad

Quote: Damn, you are really good at this. Of course I'd think that since you made my sig, but still. Damn.... Tongue
Big Grin Thanks!
I did Vectors ages ago and it was pretty hard path to learn the techniques, this one was my first where I also worked "freehand".
http://www.supportforums.net/showthread.php?tid=2582

If I had this tutorial when I was learning... I would now have even more works.....
I really love the finished image, as soon as I get my hands on my old files, I'll show you some of my works...

We can learn from each other ;)
Hey, your vector is nice Smile Well, i did the same for my firsts vectors, "freehand" ... then i discovered the Pen Tool Big Grin
Quote:We can learn from each other ;)
Why not Big Grin !
I love vector/vexel work...thanks for the tut
Easy tutorial and Looks GREAT!
This looking cool I will try this Smile
[Image: ShuTdown.png]
This looks really nice, thanks Tongue

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DAMINK [Vector Painting] Deity 13 2,618 03-09-2013, 01:17 PM
Last Post: Toph
  Yet another picture of Omniscient [Vector Painting] Deity 8 1,971 07-12-2012, 03:34 AM
Last Post: aloneak
  Does this look like Omniscient? [Vector Painting] Deity 4 1,416 05-29-2012, 02:23 PM
Last Post: Deity
  [TuT] Simple Trick To Improve Image Quality [TuT] Decept ♥ 24 4,101 03-20-2012, 05:13 AM
Last Post: m1chAel
  [TUT]Photoshop: Gold Text Effect[Easy] Rocker Hasan 6 1,049 12-18-2011, 02:26 PM
Last Post: System Meltdown