• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do I REALLY Need a Firewall?
Hey guys, do I really need a firewall?

I practice safe browsing
I never download a file unless it has been approved by many people
I frequently scan my computer
I update my computer whenever possible
I have common sense

My router is M1424WR, I'm not sure if it has a built in firewall or not and my ISP is Verizon FiOS. If you guys can check whether or not I have a built in firewall on my router, that would be great.

I am currently using MSE, MAM, SAS, Sandboxie and Windows XP's firewall
(I know crappy firewall) I do not want to slow my internet connection down by having a firewall run side by side.

So do I really need a firewall? What for?
[Image: 29ol3br.png]
Sure its debatable. But i like to have outbound notification. I dont mind inbound so much. My router takes care of lots of that but i really need to know whats going out in order to maintain control.
You say your router may or may not have a firewall. Well i imagine most now days do but lets assume it doesnt. Then i would certainly update my firewall to a more robust one.
Sandboxie is a big plus though. It will stop most nasties right there.
The Rules!
FTW Forum <-- Home of the Damned! --> Join me On MM

How can I check whether or not my router has a firewall and if it's good enough?

EDIT : I attached a picture of my router's page thing. If I have "firewall settings" does that mean I have a firewall in my router?

LOL, I don't hack any more... so I really could care less about a firewall. I will never transfer or check my account over the internet anyway, so I have nothing to worry about.
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. Love is the law, love under will.
.::The Rights of Man::.
(12-24-2009, 09:13 AM)Аноним Интерфейс Wrote: LOL, I don't hack any more... so I really could care less about a firewall. I will never transfer or check my account over the internet anyway, so I have nothing to worry about.

So do I need a firewall?
(12-24-2009, 09:25 AM)NaK Wrote: So do I need a firewall?
Not unless you are doing something illegal or sensitive [banking] over the net. If you have windows you might want to use one. In linux it doesn't really matter.
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. Love is the law, love under will.
(12-24-2009, 09:30 AM)Аноним Интерфейс Wrote: Not unless you are doing something illegal or sensitive [banking] over the net. If you have windows you might want to use one. In linux it doesn't really matter.

Does my router have a built in firewall? It has a firewall setting, does that mean it does have one?
(12-24-2009, 09:31 AM)NaK Wrote: Does my router have a built in firewall? It has a firewall setting, does that mean it does have one?
There are programs that use firewalls. Your router should automatically firewall certain activities.
You definitely need a firewall because I will use myself as an example. When ever I take down my ESET firewall 163 programs try to attack my computer, but only 42 get in which is still a lot. It doesn't matter if you don't even go on the internet. You can be attacked for any reason even if you don't download stuff, you are still at risk.
Good and Bad you Decide.
SupermanDevlish
(12-24-2009, 10:00 AM)conrados1 Wrote: You definitely need a firewall because I will use myself as an example. When ever I take down my ESET firewall 163 programs try to attack my computer, but only 42 get in which is still a lot. It doesn't matter if you don't even go on the internet. You can be attacked for any reason even if you don't download stuff, you are still at risk.
Never had that problem... I'd listen to what he said.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can I disable firewall without being Admin? ONeShoT 5 1,547 07-11-2013, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Connected
  Is it true that Commodo Firewall interferes with Avast Anti-virus? Alreiger 8 3,520 03-27-2012, 11:41 AM
Last Post: Alreiger
  What FIREWALL Are You Using? Kharnage 28 4,896 02-10-2010, 01:40 PM
Last Post: ccalby
  Need a Firewall InsideSin 2 931 11-15-2009, 10:09 AM
Last Post: Kharnage