Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to Jump Start a Vehicle
I used this today.
Source
Just the basic facts, I know it isn't very detailed but it is informative.

STEP 1: Connect one end of the Positive(+) cable to the Positive(+) post of the dead battery.

STEP 2: Connect the other end of the Positive(+) cable to the Positive(+) post of the good battery.

STEP 3: Connect one end of the Negative(-) cable to the Negative(-) post of the good battery.

STEP 4: Connect the other end of the Negative(-) cable to a good solid SHINY, NON PAINTED metal part of the engine on the dead car. Usually a giant shiny nut on the engine block will do. A painted, dirty, or oily nut will not work. You usually want to avoid placing the Negative(-) cable directly on the dead battery to minimize the chance for explosions. You should only use the ground post on the dead battery as a last resort. On this step you'll get a normal spark as you connect the ground and complete the circuit.
Huh, I didn't realize you could put the negative anywhere on the dead car.
I had to do this about 100 times the other day because we brought a car for two cases of beer. The things battery was completely gone, so much so that the windscreen wipers would Stahl the car.

One dickhead mate put the positive onto the negative on the dead battery and then wondered why there was sparks coming out when he was trying to hook it up to my car.
If he had blown my electrics I would have been pissed.
Yea honestly I didn't realize you could put the negative on most parts of the engine. Today I had to wait 40 minutes for someone else to come by because the only jumper cords I had were to large to make it to the battery (which was covered by a bar for some reason).
The way i have always done it is negative first. But i'm sure this works too.
In fact, i have found many things in that source link, that i do the exact opposite.
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.
I was actually raised being taught that you should do the negative first so you have it grounded. But eh, didn't blow me up so idk lol.
(12-15-2009, 05:23 PM)Black Rabbit Wrote: I was actually raised being taught that you should do the negative first so you have it grounded. But eh, didn't blow me up so idk lol.

That's also how i was raised. But who knows. I'm still alive lol.
If you drive a standard like me and your battery goes out simply put it in neutral have a buddy push you and pop it in first. It's great fun if one or both are drunk as the friend needs to run to get in the car.
[Image: Uhriventis.gif]
(12-16-2009, 07:31 AM)Uhriventis Wrote: If you drive a standard like me and your battery goes out simply put it in neutral have a buddy push you and pop it in first. It's great fun if one or both are drunk as the friend needs to run to get in the car.

No, keep it in gear and push in the clutch. Have a buddy push you and let it out. Never put it from neutral to any gear while you are moving, good way to rip out the tranny.
(12-16-2009, 04:11 PM)ktmrider530 Wrote: No, keep it in gear and push in the clutch. Have a buddy push you and let it out. Never put it from neutral to any gear while you are moving, good way to rip out the tranny.

Have to agree here. Its just good practice to start in gear with clutch in.
Sure some may argue this but i agree with Ktmrider. Its just good practice.
The Rules!
FTW Forum <-- Home of the Damned! --> Join me On MM

(12-16-2009, 04:11 PM)ktmrider530 Wrote: No, keep it in gear and push in the clutch. Have a buddy push you and let it out. Never put it from neutral to any gear while you are moving, good way to rip out the tranny.

Ack, that's what I meant by neutral. I should know doing towing for a little bit. You never have a towed vehicle in neutral.
[Image: Uhriventis.gif]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Basic maintenance.[Improve vehicle life] ktmrider530 8 1,553 06-21-2010, 01:31 AM
Last Post: saumil
  Look Here!! Add 50+HP for FREE to your vehicle. ktmrider530 24 3,664 04-22-2010, 12:13 PM
Last Post: Support
  Odd thing with my vehicle... iDrink 7 1,479 04-10-2010, 12:28 PM
Last Post: Uchiha Scottyy.Fx™
  My Vehicle misfortune. ktmrider530 11 1,566 04-10-2010, 12:26 PM
Last Post: Uchiha Scottyy.Fx™
  How to check vehicle compression [tut] ktmrider530 3 891 04-07-2010, 11:36 AM
Last Post: majordave