Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why I like Opera on Ubuntu
I used to use Firefox, but these days it's Opera.

There are lots of reasons out there to like Opera, but here are mine:

1. The latest version looks slick. I use Karmic's Human theme (the brown one a lot of people seem not to like) and Opera using the standard appearance, but setting the colour to "gold" looks great with that theme.

2. Sometimes the text is small on a site or I am not wearing my glasses (more likely the case), so with Opera I just hit the + key on my keyboard a few times and up everything comes font-size. I know you can do this with Firefox, but it's CTL-+, a little harder.

3. If you've got Flash or whatever installed for Firefox, it works on Opera too.

4. Mouse gestures started on Opera and they are built in from the start, no plug-ins like in Firefox. In fact I first encountered them in Opera and then, back when I used Firefox more, I found the plug in.

5. Opera starts quicker on my system than Firefox. I don't know why.

6. You can minimise it to the taskbar. I know you can get a Firefox plug in to do that in Firefox, but I had problems with that plug in on Firefox 3.5. I had to start Firefox two or three times before it would actually start. Anyway it's a feature that means I can keep Opera going and not clutter the panel on the bottom of the screen.

7. I haven't tried Opera Unite because I don't know too many Opera users, but it looks like a cool feature for file-sharing of a private nature.

8. I can select text on a page and shunt it to a Note. This is like having a text editor right in the program and is very handy.

Two things I prefer Firefox for:

9. If I select text in Firefox and right-click, I can "Search with Google" and it opens in a new tab. In Opera, it opens in the same tab. Not as nice.

10. If I type a search in the Google search bar, a drop-down list of "common searches" appears in Firefox. It doesn't in Opera, unless I am actually already on Google's search page.

Anyway, Opera is cool. Thought I'd share my views. Thumbsup
Opera is horrible, doesn't support CSS3 and is just horrible in marketing and their goals are bad.
It is fully compliant in terms of the Web Standard Acid Test 2:

http://www.webstandards.org/files/acid2/test.html

No other browser is 100% here save it seems Firefox 3.5, least last I checked. It is the most standard-compliant browser out there. Can you give a test for CSS3? I really would like to know.

Smile

Seriously, try that link out on Firefox and IE. They don't manage to go for 100%. That is significant.

Sorry, I mean Acid Test 3: http://acid3.acidtests.org/

Firefox gives a 92% rating. Opera gives 100%. ;)
Firefox ftw .
Swiftfox seems better/
Yea I've been leaning towards opera but I'm using firefox for now.
i love and use opera.most amazing is opera link feature.i have opera on ally my pc's laptops,pda and mobile.with one click i can synchronize opera,so everything is 1:1 copy,what i see and have on pc,is on my phone-save passwords,histroy,bookmarks'n'crap.
i got my ubuntu with firefox built in and i dont have any problems with that browser but if u have to sync multiple devices yes - maybe opera is better
Verum quaere et insaniam inveni
Opera is fast,good and looks cool! But some Flash applications won't work properly. But I use Firefox and Opera on my Acer aspire one computer that I got Linux installed on. But I prefer to use Opera because it's much faster on that PC.
Just installed it now on openSuSE. Having to get used to it but, I have used it with a Blackberry Curve. Much better then MediaNET. Haha.
Also it conflicts with KDE's ALT-F4 shortcut. No big deal I suppose.
[Image: Uhriventis.gif]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Get Ubuntu 11.04 >>Upgrade from Ubuntu 10.10 aminmusa 15 6,991 04-25-2011, 02:06 AM
Last Post: aminmusa
  [ubuntu v=9.10]Apache2 errors[/ubuntu] jfmherokiller 10 3,629 11-23-2010, 08:26 PM
Last Post: haphazard
  Tutorial: Installing Ubuntu/Basics of Ubuntu Canoris 16 9,153 05-31-2010, 05:31 PM
Last Post: Natha