Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Deleting Locked Files Manually - Windows Explorer.
Manually removing locked files/folders using Windows Explorer.

Once again, this was written with Windows XP Pro in mind.

The method may be similar with Windows Vista and Windows 7, but there may be differences regarding tab names etc, but the principal may still apply.

Quite often, the system will report that a certain file cannot be renamed or deleted, as it is being used by another application or user.

There is a way around this problem, as outlined below.

This may not work for all files, but it may work for most.

Right click on a file, or folder - then select Properties and click on Security, then Advanced, to see the tab for Permissions.

Then click on Owner, to see the owner of the file or folder.

On some newer/older Windows systems, there may not be a tab for Security, in that case, it's just a question
of trying Advanced, and Permissions etc, until you locate the tab for Owner.

In some cases, you can take ownership of the file or folder, if the system has prevented you from deleting it,
by changing the current owner of the item to your own Windows user name or Administrator if you are logged in as such.

For example, if you wanted to look inside the System Volume Information folder, or maybe even a locked i386 folder on certain OS's,
then this method will allow you to do that, as these folders are usually restricted by default.

If you want to do this, you have first Add yourself to the list if you are not already present, under the tab for Security,
using either your own Windows user name, or as Administrator.

Make sure that the box is ticked, next to:

Inherit from parent the permission entries that apply to child objects. Include these with entries explicitly defined here.

Also, make sure that the box for Allow, for the Permissions for the added user name is ticked in every instance.
Usually, if you just click on the top box, the others will be selected by default.

It seems that you have to do this for both the folder and the files.

It could prove useful, when trying to remove an infected or suspicious file, locked by the system, or a dubious application.

For those files which cannot be deleted after making modifications, you could use Unlocker to do it instead.

Just remember to upload any applications to an online anti-virus scanning service and use a sandbox if in any doubt.

http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

Again, I hope that this may have been of some interest to some of you here.
+ rep because all your guides are awesome!
Very nice. Always wondered how to do it manually, I usually use Unlocker, like you pointed out Smile
Thanks for posting this guide. This issue can be quite annoying.
[Image: MreGSXsigcopy.png]

Unlocker doesn't work with Windows 7.
Iobit Security 360 has an "unlocker and deleter" and works on Windows 7.
[Image: MreGSXsigcopy.png]

(10-06-2009, 07:06 AM)Michael Wrote: + rep because all your guides are awesome!

Thank you very much! I really do appreciate that!
(10-06-2009, 07:26 AM)aldo Wrote: Very nice. Always wondered how to do it manually, I usually use Unlocker, like you pointed out Smile

Thanks for the positive feedback!
(10-06-2009, 03:29 PM)HaruhiSuzumiya Wrote: Unlocker doesn't work with Windows 7.

That seems to be true, but that method above though, may work for Windows 7.

Maybe you coiuld try it, next time you get a message about a locked file or folder.
(10-06-2009, 03:23 PM)MreGSX Wrote: Thanks for posting this guide. This issue can be quite annoying.

Thanks, I'm just pleased to be able to post anything like this.
[Image: SF1d.gif]

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance - Confucius
------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes i also used unlocker to unlock it
uhm? Is there a mess up in the title? Fies? Or Files?
Yet again, a very useful guide.

Keep them coming Smile
[Image: 3326yvl.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to recover accidently deleted files on your Windows PC JiniOnline 4 1,709 06-30-2015, 06:53 AM
Last Post: hunterweston
  Change Windows Explorer Default Drive Icons AceInfinity 0 1,519 02-08-2012, 10:53 PM
Last Post: AceInfinity
  Deleting Locked Fies Manually - Windows CMD. UID=0 3 3,325 11-25-2010, 09:58 PM
Last Post: AceInfinity
  Updated - Saving System Resources Manually - Parts 1 and 2 UID=0 6 1,921 10-10-2009, 03:59 AM
Last Post: UID=0