Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unofficial guidelines for posting HJT logs.
Hello.

I'm writing this, because it is very easy to ruin your system with HijackThis. I'm going to cover several points in this mini tutorial, such as what HijackThis is, what it isn't, and how to get the best help you can when posting a HijackThis log.

First, HJT is not a virus scanner. It is a scanner that provides detailed information about your system that assists helpers in removing malware or other unwanted programs from your computer. Some of the things that it lists are startup programs, currently running programs, and more. 90% of what is listed in your HJT log will be genuine.

There're sites such as hijackthis.de which automatically analyze your log by comparing each line against the information stored in their database. Many HJT lines are determined "good", "neutral", or "bad" by hijackthis.de's users. As such, you should automatically assume that their ratings are 100% accurate. Programs' necessities change with each user.

When requesting assistance in the HJT section, you should do the following:

1. Download HijackThis 2.0.2.

2. Install HijackThis.

3. Click "Do a system scan and save a logfile" (the first option).

4. Let it run; it should only take abount a minute max, even on the most cluttered systems.

5. A notepad file called "hijackthis.log" will open up. Copy its contents into your new post (use as many posts needed in that thread). Do NOT upload its contents to pastebin or otherwise; this is to prevent misidentified logs and more. Be SURE that you put [HJT] somewhere in your topic title. Also, make sure that the first thing you do is explain your problem. Example: My computer is running very slowly, and I think I might be infected with a RAT. Here's my log:

6. Wait for responses. Some people may request that you run MalwareBytes or an online virus scan; simply follow their instructions if you trust them.

NOTE: No matter what someone says, you should ALWAYS be wary before fixing a line in HJT. If you do not trust your gut when doing something, you probably shouldn't do it! If you have doubts, research the line yourself on Google.
List of members allowed to help people?
(10-06-2009, 02:27 PM)Soldier of Fortune Wrote: List of members allowed to help people?

Hello.

I haven't seen/heard anyone be 'designated', so I assume anyone, which is why I stressed not to blindly accept someone's directions.
I believe Omni said he didn't want a team right now. I'm pretty sure he would be okay if people that are experienced with HJT logs would help out users, but you should ask him first.
I think this forum could do well with a group for HJT help as does HackForums. It's base point is support for members who believe they have been infected.

I think these guidelines are well worded and Omniscient should be wary on who he decides should be added to the list.
(10-06-2009, 10:00 PM)Jake Wrote: I believe Omni said he didn't want a team right now. I'm pretty sure he would be okay if people that are experienced with HJT logs would help out users, but you should ask him first.

Hello.
I don't know whom your message was directed at, but one thing; Why would Omni create an HJT subforum if he did not expect people to analyse posted logs?
If a HJT group is started here on Support Forums I would sign-up. By what I've heard Soldier of Fortune would be a good teacher.
(10-07-2009, 08:47 AM)Zer0Man Wrote: If a HJT group is started here on Support Forums I would sign-up. By what I've heard Soldier of Fortune would be a good teacher.

I'm sorry I couldn't have the chance to teach some more people, but it appeared I had to work over summer + do some preparations for college...took me some weeks and I was inactive.

I'm looking forward to fix that as soon as we start to get at least 10 members a day asking for help cleaning their computers.
Bumping this for organization.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Active HJT Graduate/Malware Remover now Brandenx781 2 1,549 02-19-2012, 05:38 PM
Last Post: Retribute
  [HJT Log] Suspected virus. TheGeniusism 7 4,429 11-21-2010, 02:34 AM
Last Post: Quintus
  Please check my HJT logs Firetech 3 1,545 11-17-2010, 08:44 AM
Last Post: Quintus
  I am looking for a HJT teacher. ktmrider530 33 7,861 10-16-2010, 09:42 AM
Last Post: Solidus
  [HJT] Help Smed 14 6,858 10-02-2010, 02:25 AM
Last Post: Review