Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Getting Parts for my car will this work?
Though the year is different with slight modifications it will still fit. Possibly with no modification at all.
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.
In my opinion the changes your wanting to do will offer very little power improvement.
Perhaps the headers will give a bit better breathing but you retain the cat so that counters that some what.
(I normally gut the insides of the cat and put a pipe straight through it)
Chipping the car is one way but again it gives a very small improvement.
(In my testing not enough to notice period!)
If your dragging your car you may notice the slight improvement, but if your only driving down the shops you will not notice.
The one thing you may notice is an increased fuel bill though.

If you want more power then you need to do more major changes.
A bigger cam with chip to suit and a nice set of pipes to let it breath.
The Rules!
FTW Forum <-- Home of the Damned! --> Join me On MM

(12-14-2009, 01:33 PM)DAMINK™ Wrote: In my opinion the changes your wanting to do will offer very little power improvement.
Perhaps the headers will give a bit better breathing but you retain the cat so that counters that some what.
(I normally gut the insides of the cat and put a pipe straight through it)
Chipping the car is one way but again it gives a very small improvement.
(In my testing not enough to notice period!)
If your dragging your car you may notice the slight improvement, but if your only driving down the shops you will not notice.
The one thing you may notice is an increased fuel bill though.

If you want more power then you need to do more major changes.
A bigger cam with chip to suit and a nice set of pipes to let it breath.

I have to disagree on the chip, i used a bullydog five stage and gained over 200 horsepower on my powerstroke. But i have never used a programmer on a gas car before.
200 hp from a chip?
Yea ok whatever.
I dont think the car in question even has 200 hp actually Smile
Now correct me if i am wrong here.
If a car has a mechanical cam then the limits of that engines performance will be based on the duration and lift of the cam lobes yes?
Sure some cars now days have variable valve timing. But those that dont can not produce any more power than the stick allows short of blowing, stroking it or ramming it or similar.
Now a chip will only optimize the duration of the cam. In other words start injecting slightly earlier and a little longer.
If the intake valves are closed then having an injector pulsing is a waste of time.
So a bigger stick is needed.
Off topic but i would love to know more about your car and this chip you mention.
The Rules!

Yes, on stage 5 it is adding around 200HP. It's on a diesel.

I get what you are saying about the cam, but in theory if you program it to add more fuel/air mixture, it should push it that much faster.

About my truck, it's a 2006 ford f250 powerstroke. The "chip" is a 5 stage bullydog "on the fly" programmer. Can only be used on a diesel engine, i don't know if you know a lot about diesels, but as common sense says, there is no ignition system, thus making it easier to push more horsepower because there is no need for a distributor or spark plugs to create ignition. All you are doing, is "frying" the stock computer module and telling your truck to push it's limits further than it can safely go. Now, with the added horsepower and torque naturally comes excessive heat. About a week after i got this, i melted two of my heads in the cylinder because my temp warnings failed for some dumb reason. I didn't even know that was possible lol
http://www.servicemix.org/

Interesting read on what chips can and can not do.

As for your car well.
Diesel uses compression to spark yes?
And to play with mixtures you could easily have been running lean and therefor running hot. Dunno.
But you will be the first one ever i have known that has got any markable difference using just a chip.
And 200 hp. Well i am just about to go to my mates house. (A mechanic) to ask his advice on this.
The Rules!

(12-14-2009, 11:19 PM)DAMINK™ Wrote: http://www.servicemix.org/

Interesting read on what chips can and can not do.

As for your car well.
Diesel uses compression to spark yes?
And to play with mixtures you could easily have been running lean and therefor running hot. Dunno.
But you will be the first one ever i have known that has got any markable difference using just a chip.
And 200 hp. Well i am just about to go to my mates house. (A mechanic) to ask his advice on this.

Fair enough. But i think we are talking about different things.

Are you Talking about a single plug and change programmer?
Or something like this? http://www.elitedieseleng.com/inj73.htm
What i just posted is said to add over 400+ HP with a 6 stage chip. Just takes money.
Interesting read that link. Seems a lot of other gear is needed to get said HP. But interesting none the less.
Anyway back to the point of the thread.
I don't recommend a chip. The gain (if any on his car) is not going to be worth $ and possible fuel loss.
Plugs well basically no gain there. Most plugs are pretty good. Depends on make and model obviously. Keep them changed regularly.
Cold air yea that will help all be it slightly. But cheap and easy to do.
Bigger exhaust in any fashion is going to help. Bigger cat alone will help a bit. But a whole new one would help heaps.
As for the whole chip thing. Look any upgrade is going to require a chip. You put a bigger cam in you need a chip/exhaust/intake to suit.
You put a turbo in you need same.
You put a blower in you need the same.
But a chip alone in a stock car imho is wasted $. Any upgrades of a decent fashion then certainly. Last thing you ever want to do is get an engine leaning out and cooking on ya.
The Rules!

Hi my Bro, Yep I will agree with DAMINK on the chip info you will make some power gains but if you are only running standard cams/valves/stroke etc... you will be wasting valuble money & fuel. But as a cheaper alternative I would recommend getting a performance coil installed instead of performance plugs & also if you install a fuel pump that has a stronger pressure "PSI" rating than the standard one that is installed this will help your injectors to deliver more fuel into your cylinders & will give you some power gains. Now to make large power gains you will have to spend some money to do so, Another cheap way to make larger power gains is to install "NOS" nitrous oxide but if it isn't setup properly you will kill your engine. The downside to NOS is that you will need to refill your tanks often, But if you make sure your NOS fogger jets are in the right ratio with your air/fuel ratio you can make some impressive gains & still keep your engine in reasonably good condition. Here's a little trivia for ya NOS on it's own isn't flamable, how it works is it greatly increases the O2 oxygen levels in the combustion process this is how it gives you power gains. Hope this has helped ya

B@nNeD
If you see me drunk & passed-out under a table just leave me there I will wake up in the morning & move on Tongue
(12-14-2009, 10:21 AM)Omniscient Wrote: I have a Neon 2002. The Cold Air Intake you posted isn't compatible. It says:
"Fits on:00-03 Dodge Neon 2.0L L4"

The rest seems okay. Are you going to race the Neon?

haven't found a track to race at but I do enjoy the occasional street race... I know how to take corners amazingly around here so it gives me an advantage against the faster cars around here..

thanx for the tip about the ... cool air intake..

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is your Favorite Dream Car Dcrac23 233 129,076 05-03-2014, 06:27 PM
Last Post: Detective RooTz
  My car Psychosis 28 8,210 08-04-2013, 05:18 PM
Last Post: Uzi
  Car Picture of the day . sunexim 5 908 12-31-2012, 01:35 PM
Last Post: Oveяloяd
  What car would you buy? XACTLYSIN 28 9,988 11-27-2012, 03:10 AM
Last Post: jamessaunders832
  New Honda Car sunexim 0 679 11-09-2012, 03:10 AM
Last Post: sunexim