Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guide to Increasing Proactivity
Increasing Proactivity

Proactivity is a critical paradigm that guides the behavior of effective individuals. A great way of beginning to understand the nature of proactivity is to consider your first reaction to the following word:  Responsibility. What comes to mind when you think of this word? If you are like most members of Support Forums, you are likely thinking of things such as paying your bills, doing your homework, cleaning your house or room, washing your clothes, and so on. These are some of the things that you feel you should be doing. However, proactivity involves placing a different frame around the concept of responsibility, as aptly described by Stephen Covey (1991) in his seminal book, The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People :

"While the word proactivity is now fairly common in management literature, it is a word you won't find in most dictionaries. It is more than merely taking initiative. It means that as human beings, we are responsible for our own lives. Our behavior is a function of our decisions, not our conditions. We can subordinate feelings into values. We have the initiative and the responsibility to make things happen. Look at the word responsibility—'response - ability'—the ability to choose your response. Highly proactive people recognize that responsibility. They do not blame the circumstances, conditions, or conditioning for their behavior. Their behavior is a product of their own conscious choice, based on values, rather than a product of their conditions based on feelings" (pg. 70-71).

Perhaps I have convinced you that being proactive is a skill you want to cultivate. You might be wondering, "Okay, but how can I do that?" I have found that a useful method for increasing proactivity involves focusing on three key areas:
  1. Thoughts
  2. Language
  3. Actions
I believe that all things are created three times. First, when you think about it. Second, by how you speak about it. Lastly, by when you take action to make it happen. Becoming a proactive individual involves focusing on all three areas simultaneously.

AREA ONE
Thoughts

Reactive people tend to be worriers. If a worrier were conscious of the direction of his or her thoughts, he or she would discover that the focus is mostly on the bad things that could possibly happen (see: Murphy's law). I am not suggesting that you shouldn't plan for the possibility of something bad happening, but to spend most of your time doing this is counterproductive. This is particularly the case if you consider that the vast majority of what we worry about never actually happens. Still, there are lasting effects on our emotional and physical health, as well as our productivity, that are similar to the effects that might have occurred if the feared event actually happened. So, are you a worrier? Proactive people make a conscious effort to give more time for considering what might go right and how to make it go right. In other words, they are more likely to be considered optimists.

AREA TWO
Language

In the past, have you ever heard yourself thinking or saying things like, "She made me angry," or "I couldn't make it to school, I was just too tired to get up on time?" If you have, which is very common, realize that you are speaking reactively. You were giving your freedom to choose away and giving someone else control over your emotions, such as in the first example. Or, perhaps, you were letting circumstances determine what you could or could not do, like in the second example. Proactive people realize that they are in control of their feelings and emotions, and speak in a way that creates and reinforces this reality. So instead of saying, "She made me angry," they might say, "I am angry about what she did." I hope that the difference between the two are clear. When you say, "I am angry about what she did," you are in control of your response. This isn't merely semantics. Our language is one of man's prominent ways of defining reality. How we speak has a great impact on how we view the world.

AREA THREE
Actions

Two important habits to adopt in order to increase proactivity are as follows:
  1. Making, and keeping, promises
  2. Setting small goals and working towards achieving them
Proactive individuals are keenly aware of the power of their word. Many people aren't aware of the importance of this concept, so they say things like, "I'll call you," after running into someone they haven't seen in a while, when, even at the time, they know they are highly unlikely to follow through. Another example would be when a student promises themselves that they will study for that test, only to, at best, end up cramming desperately at the last minute. Doing these actions bring about the consequence of not only having others stop believing in you, but you stop believing in yourself as well. You won't always be able to keep every promise 100% of the time, but you can, however, own up to it. Be willing to acknowledge this and seek ways of amending it.

Most people can't wait to be successful so that they can do whatever it is that they feel like doing. It's this thought, however, that can interfere with ever achieving success in the first place. The bottom line is that effective people do the things that ineffective people don't feel like doing. Proactive people don't necessarily feel like doing those things either, but they do them anyway to strengthen their purpose. There is a big difference between wanting and feeling. Feeling is a momentary desire, such as "I don't feel like getting out of bed," while wanting includes not just the present, but the future as well. A proactive individual acknowledges his present feeling, "I feel tired," but decides to get out of bed anyway in order to attain the result of this action, such as having time to study so they might do well in class, or keeping a promise. Many people say that this is easier said than done, and they are correct. However, you should want to be willing to do what is necessary. So what about you? What do you choose?
That sounds like some crazy stuff.

Quote:Most people can't wait to be successful so that they can do whatever it is that they feel like doing

When it comes to success I'm incredible patient. I know that what I do today will effect what happens tomorrow and in turn that can effect an outcome weeks, months, or years later. So I try to make choices today based on that. Works for me.

And I'm not a worrier in regards to risk. It's probably stupid of me to "not give a f*ck" if things go wrong so I'm willing to take chances. But again...it works for me.
Superman I am here to rescue you.
This is Support Forums not Support PMs.  Do not PM me for support unless it's private and site related.
Gave a quick read. This is a great guide Froggy.
(10-24-2014, 09:07 AM)Omniscient Wrote: That sounds like some crazy stuff.

Quote:Most people can't wait to be successful so that they can do whatever it is that they feel like doing

When it comes to success I'm incredible patient.  I know that what I do today will effect what happens tomorrow and in turn that can effect an outcome weeks, months, or years later.  So I try to make choices today based on that. Works for me.

And I'm not a worrier in regards to risk.  It's probably stupid of me to "not give a f*ck" if things go wrong so I'm willing to take chances.  But again...it works for me.

I've noticed your patience throughout my time on the forums. It's definitely a good attribute to have and keep. I've encountered a lot of people that wanted to have success "NOW," and they ended up making mistakes which stained their reputation. Slow and steady wins the race!

I think it's probably your life experiences and personality that make you a non-worrier. It's a great mentality to have when it comes to risk, as long as you're prepared for when and if things do go wrong. I've seen you quickly fix mistakes without making a big deal about it, so you're pretty much all set there. It works for you.
(10-24-2014, 09:19 AM)Galaxy Wrote: Gave a quick read. This is a  great guide Froggy.

Thanks. I released it on HF beforehand, but I thought this forum would be a much better fit for it. Thumbsup
Quote:I think it's probably your life experiences and personality that make you a non-worrier. It's a great mentality to have when it comes to risk, as long as you're prepared for when and if things do go wrong. I've seen you quickly fix mistakes without making a big deal about it

I'm an excellent trouble-shooter not just with computers but life in general. Probably because I grew up in a very dysfunctional environment and had to constantly adapt and work with what I had. My life wasn't easy and so I had to scratch and claw to survive. I don't panic either, at least not too much. I'm still human but I think I have a really high tolerance for crazy crap upsetting me. I'm able to brush off the bullshit and focus on what's important or fixing whatever problem I face.

Like some people deal with their problems with drugs and alcohol. I just drink for recreation and socially.
Superman I am here to rescue you.
This is Support Forums not Support PMs.  Do not PM me for support unless it's private and site related.
(10-24-2014, 09:29 AM)Omniscient Wrote: I'm an excellent trouble-shooter not just with computers but life in general.  Probably because I grew up in a very dysfunctional environment and had to constantly adapt and work with what I had.  My life wasn't easy and so I had to scratch and claw to survive.  I don't panic either, at least not too much.  I'm still human but I think I have a really high tolerance for crazy crap upsetting me.  I'm able to brush off the bullshit and focus on what's important or fixing whatever problem I face.

Like some people deal with their problems with drugs and alcohol.  I just drink for recreation and socially.

I've had some people disagree with me, but I believe going through a few hardships here and there throughout the first 3 decades of life is highly beneficial. It all depends on the person, but overall it builds character and sets you up for handling the future. I've had friends who have grown up pampered by their parents, only to have a mental breakdown when something goes wrong once they've flown from the nest.

I'd like to think that I have the same tolerance as you, but I know I don't. I acknowledge I'm still young, and it's a process that I have to work through. Thankfully I've matured quicker than most, so I'm not having a truly terrible time. My current job as a computer technician has helped me in troubleshooting computer malfunctions as well as life occurrences. I've noticed that I've been slowly changing in regards to my reactions ever since I got the job.
(10-24-2014, 09:43 AM)Froggy Wrote:
(10-24-2014, 09:29 AM)Omniscient Wrote: I'm an excellent trouble-shooter not just with computers but life in general.  Probably because I grew up in a very dysfunctional environment and had to constantly adapt and work with what I had.  My life wasn't easy and so I had to scratch and claw to survive.  I don't panic either, at least not too much.  I'm still human but I think I have a really high tolerance for crazy crap upsetting me.  I'm able to brush off the bullshit and focus on what's important or fixing whatever problem I face.

Like some people deal with their problems with drugs and alcohol.  I just drink for recreation and socially.

I've had some people disagree with me, but I believe going through a few hardships here and there throughout the first 3 decades of life is highly beneficial. It all depends on the person, but overall it builds character and sets you up for handling the future. I've had friends who have grown up pampered by their parents, only to have a mental breakdown when something goes wrong once they've flown from the nest.

I have to agree that hardships make you into what you are now. You never struggle then you can adapt or prepare yourself when that time does come. Over the years I've realized how a lot of people just cannot cope with stress. Also working at a damn call center really proves how that's true too.