Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beginners: Media files, DVD and skype on Ubuntu
This is no help to anyone who knows how to get non-free media and programs working on Ubuntu. But I thought I'd put down my standard way of getting up and running with various proprietary codecs and other things using http://www.medibuntu.org (it's really just a quick explanation of material found there).

First, you need to activate the Medibuntu ("Media Ubuntu") repos ("repositories"). These repos contain files that can't for legal reasons be contained in Ubuntu, things like playing regular DVDs (any region/format), lots of audio and video formats, and so forth. To do this, go to Applications-->Accessories and select Terminal.

Copy the following into the Terminal (note that you copy it normally using Ctl-C but that you'll have to paste it into the terminal using Ctl-Shift-V):

Quote:sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/$(lsb_release -cs).list \
--output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list &&
sudo apt-get -q update &&
sudo apt-get --yes -q --allow-unauthenticated install medibuntu-keyring &&
sudo apt-get -q update

This will hook you up with their repo.

Next, when it's all done, here is what you want to copy and paste into the Terminal to download the essential codecs and such. Note: if you don't want realplayer, delete it from the list. If you don't want vlc, delete vlc and mozilla-plugin-vlc from the list. If you don't want skype, delete it from the list.

If you use Ubuntu 64, do this (remember that pasting into the Terminal is Ctl-Shift-V):

Quote:sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras w64codecs libdvdcss2 realplayer vlc mozilla-plugin-vlc skype

If you use Ubuntu 32, do this (remember that pasting into the Terminal is Ctl-Shift-V):

Quote:sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras w32codecs libdvdcss2 realplayer vlc mozilla-plugin-vlc skype

If you want Google Earth, then add googleearth to the list.

This should set you up to do many things you might want to do with Ubuntu.
Thanks. I have had the problem of getting my media on my Linux computer.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help me to install skype + yahoo messenger on Ubuntu aminmusa 13 6,128 04-08-2012, 08:53 AM
Last Post: aminmusa
  Get Ubuntu 11.04 >>Upgrade from Ubuntu 10.10 aminmusa 15 6,987 04-25-2011, 02:06 AM
Last Post: aminmusa
  [ubuntu v=9.10]Apache2 errors[/ubuntu] jfmherokiller 10 3,626 11-23-2010, 08:26 PM
Last Post: haphazard
  Tutorial: Installing Ubuntu/Basics of Ubuntu Canoris 16 9,150 05-31-2010, 05:31 PM
Last Post: Natha
  Beginners: Ten programs/tricks for Ubuntu arcofile 8 4,404 11-23-2009, 02:01 AM
Last Post: Ireqom