Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Individual connection speed limited
ISP: iiNet (australia)
Modem: D-Link DSL-2642B
Wired ADSL connection.

I have a problem where over the past month or so the individual connections that my modem makes seem to be throttled at 150-250KB/s. For applications and websites such as Bittorrent, or youtube which open many connections this isn't such a problem, as it opens multiple 150KB/s connections and maxes out around 1.5MB/s (my usual download rate).
For other programs and websites (various games, streaming sites) that only open one connection this is a major inconvenience.

I am monitoring this connection info via a program called NetLimiter.

It is not a problem with my computer, I have tested other computers.

It doesn't seem to be a geographical problem, as downloading a test file off of my ISP's FTP is just as slow as loading a video stream internationally from LA.

I have done an isolation test to see if anything is intefering with my line, by unplugging any phones or computers connected to the modem except for mine. This is not the problem.

I suspect it is either a faulty line (attenuation and signal:noise seem okay in modem diagnostics), a faulty modem (I don't want to rush off an buy a new modem unless I'm sure that's the problem) or a problem with my ISP. I have had a hard time finding any relevant information from google so I come here to ask your help.

Anyone know what my problem might be?
Sounds like a faulty Modem to me. If your attenuation and signal is fine, then the line is good and if you're still getting that max 1.5mb's, then you haven't be throttled.
Nearly four years and don't regret a single day.
Thanks for information provided!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Internet Connection Issues Jangus 2 1,205 12-25-2019, 11:32 PM
Last Post: rickmartin.gt
  Internet connection issue mack1 1 763 05-01-2017, 10:31 PM
Last Post: Miltan
  Internet loses connection when some uses the phone Phisher 1 763 10-14-2013, 11:43 AM
Last Post: diana33
  wifi connection problem magnus1 4 1,126 04-18-2013, 09:54 AM
Last Post: Sam
  Poor Connection Problems Austneal 11 4,153 04-18-2013, 02:39 AM
Last Post: Sam