Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1 Month Without Facebook
I use Facebook very often, every day. Three days ago, a friend I hadn't see in a while approached me so I asked them how they were doing, to which they said great and continued to tell me about news in their life. When they were done, they shot the question right back at me. As I began answering, explaining how work, school, my family, etc. were holding up, I was interrupted by a sudden "Oh ya, I read about that on Facebook!" I tried to ignore it and simply nodded with a discrete "Ya haha" but it just continued; "Oh yeah! I read about you doing that on Facebook a week ago! How was it?"

Well, ladies and gentleman, I've had it. I'm sick of having no conversation topics when I see friends because Facebook has spoiled everything for you. Do me a favour would you? Think about how many friends you have on Facebook. Now think about how many of those 'friends' are actual friends you see regularly in person. Now, imagine how much more worthwhile or how much more effort each and every one of those Facebook friends of yours would put into meeting up with you to see how things are going if they didn't already have a live tracker on your life (ranging from your choice of cereal at 7:00 AM to a status you posted about an angry bus driver that ruined your entire morning).

That is why I have since decided to try the '1 Month Without Facebook Challenge'. I'd seen it done before but never thought I needed to do it since I didn't think I was addicted, but let me tell you something folks: it's day 3 and I'm dieing. Family and friends telling me that I've been tagged in weekend photos and all I can do is bite my nails and can't wait for the remaining days abstinence to be over. I've already began to feel the early symptoms of withdrawal, hovering over my Facebook iPhone app, typing in the Facebook URL in my web browser but quickly exiting out of the window. It's no fun. But from I've read, it only gets easier after the first week.

Before anyone makes a condescending remark about Facebook's uselessness and idiocy and perhaps how one can find it difficult to quit social networking cold turkey; to each their own. I even went so far as to delete the app from my phone. I'm simply here to share my thoughts. Who knows, maybe you're like me and think you're not addicted to Facebook but if you'd actually try to restrain yourself, you'd find it just as difficult, if not harder.
I don't like Facebook, however, I do tend to go on it quite frequently. I think I may have a problem..