Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cannot Identify Hard Drive
Hello All
I really need you expert advice to install Windows 7 on my HP Slate 500 tablet. I did the following steps.
- See my hard drive in a BIOS and tested it
- Connect external CD ROM and insert the Windows 7 CD that comes up with the tablet.
- Change Boot Order from Hard disk to CDROM
- Load Windows 7 from CD ROM and performed some installation steps and after that system ask for Custom and Update option , I selected custom but after that I cannot find my hard disk to install Windows, and system ask me to provide driver for hard disk, I installed chipset driver and also used drivers CD that comes up with my tablet but no luck. Please advice.
I really appreciate if someone help me out. Thanks
Is the hard drive temp warmer than usual? Do you have any utilities to monitor those temps? Your HDD is being seen in the BIOS, but you can't boot from it? You may need to swap it to a new port, or at least try changing the boot priority to boot from the HDD first (if you'll be booting from a CD in the future then you'll have to use the boot menu or change the boot priority to boot from CD first, then maybe your HDD). If the active partitions got confused for any reason; you were fooling around with drive letters or anything in disk management (happens more often when you have lots of connected HDD's, you may have to use diskpart to select the proper active disk and partition.

Quote:- Change Boot Order from Hard disk to CDROM

Now why would you do that? Don't change around everything in the BIOS, especially if you're unsure about what you're doing as you can mess up your computer and put it in a worse state than it currently was in when you began troubleshooting.

Changing from HDD to CD-ROM won't solve your problem in any case.

Quote:- Load Windows 7 from CD ROM and performed some installation steps and after that system ask for Custom and Update option , I selected custom but after that I cannot find my hard disk to install Windows

What are you trying to do then? Reinstall Windows 7? Or get back into a pre-existing install of Windows 7?

You could have a failing HDD... If you boot up into that Install CD 3 times, sometimes it fixes itself and you can see the HDD with your previous install of Windows on it, but if this is the case, then it's probably failing... You don't get any BOOTMGR errors when you try to boot?

How do you know that it can't identify the hard drive? If it's being seen in the BIOS? Can you get into Windows normally or do you see an error message? Or is it only not being seen when you try to reinstall Windows because that's what you're currently trying to do it seems?

Without further clarification, I could assume something as far as a RAW format on your hard drive because the metadata is corrupted, or perhaps the boot sector is corrupted making it impossible for bootmgr during the boot sequence load all the necessary Windows files and drivers to get into Windows. Do you want your files back or are you careless about that at this point for data recovery?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How To Identify & Resolve Issues Bugsy 3 910 03-29-2011, 03:21 AM
Last Post: The Doctor