Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Learning C
I'm attempting to learn C right now, but I eventually want to learn C++.

The main thing I want to know is, what can I program? I need busy work, or something to get my mind exercising in this new language.

Any suggestions? Any interesting source codes I can look at, or expand on?

All helpful comments will be dearly appreciated.
You could try to code an IRC-bot if you want, I guess that'll increase your knowledge a bit.
Try googling "the c programming language pdf". This book should keep you busy
Slackware 13/ArchLinux - C/Assem/Python
A few ideas for practice programs:
A program to ask for your name, age, etc. and save it to a text file (basics of database operation).
A program to read that data from the file and print it on the screen properly.
A program which will figure out answers to equations (eg. 16:2+6).
A program to calculate the shortest possible route around the island for a ship with a map provided in text format
(eg.
000xx000
00xxxxx0
0000x000
000S0000

0 - free water
x - island
S - ship).
(11-07-2009, 11:07 AM)Etheryte Wrote: A program which will figure out answers to equations (eg. 16:2+6).

I would just start with a basic calculator first, then move on to solving equations.
I have been studying the traits and dispositions of the "lower animals" (so called) and contrasting them with the traits and dispositions of man. I find the result humiliating to me.
--Mark Twain
Isn't it ideal to start C++ first to prevent bad habits and having to unlearn things from C?
IMHO, I don't think you should learn C++ as a first language ( I don't think anyone should ) Because i did this because i thought oh yea it will be easy and i can do anything, but after a week it kept getting harder and harder and i decided i would quite programming because i thought all Languages would be this hard. And for the people who say you will learn bad habits, It is better to learn bad habits then get frustrated with C++ and quit altogether.

That's just my thought.
(11-07-2009, 07:36 PM)InsideSin Wrote: Isn't it ideal to start C++ first to prevent bad habits and having to unlearn things from C?

What are you going to unlearn. How memory works? How the CPU works? How programs work? This statement/belief is the biggest load of cr**. C is the best language to learn how things are done...period. C++ is a great language but its emphasis is object oriented programming which is O.K. but if you want to understand how things are done - then learn C...
Slackware 13/ArchLinux - C/Assem/Python