Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Father
It's been a while, but I have another poem for you guys. It's one of four that I've written recently; I might post the others.

The measure of a man is small,
Actions in his life, overpowered;
Even as his image is tall
He is lost in himself; deferred.

Oh, the strife and unrest;
Matured, simply by growing old
What heart must he possess,
To love and obseve the world?

A father is a pillar of direction;
Mine, a symbol of my life,
Firm actions and callous reflections
Become the way to overcome strife.

Grow stronger: with humility, stand true;
The world will never pause for you.
Honestly, this poem didn't make the least bit of sense. The rhyming scheme was all over the place and the general flow of the poem isn't smooth. More like swimming through needles.
It looks like you tried to give it some sort of meaning by using words you hardly understood and metaphors that really didn't relate to anything and failed horribly. Keep practicing.
[Image: 58iH.gif]
Thanks for the advice, but maybe the problem is on your end. My teacher understood the meaning, and so did my classmates.

abab cdcd efef gg
^ Rhyme scheme, with a slight change, because b and d don't rhyme with their partners.

1. The measure of a man is small. <- The measure of a man, something we all have heard before, is small. That's it.
2. The actions in his life, overpowered; <- The things he will do are going to be overpowered by his own image
3. Even as his image is tall <- Even if his image is tall,
4. He is lost in himself; deferred. <- he will be topped by what he believed he should have done.

5. Oh, the strife and unrest; <- The life of a father is difficult
6. Matured, simply by growing old <- As time goes on he is matured simply by time, not by personal growth
7. What heart must he possess, <- How can one cope with the frustration of raising a child
8. To love and obseve the world? <- How can one love and see the world when they are lost in their own mind

9. A father is a pillar of direction; <- The point of this line is to console the life outlined in the previous stanza
10. Mine, a symbol of my life, <- My father is a symbol of the same problems that I have dealt with, as well as my success
11. Firm actions and callous reflections <- Hard work and tough decisions
12. Become the way to overcome strife. < are the only way to get through life

13. Grow stronger: with humility, stand true; <- Recognizing a father's struggles and becoming a better person
14. The world will never pause for you. <- is the only way to make it anywhere, because no one will stop just because you're stuck
I love the poem, well done!
You made me smile.
I really love this poem.
This is very funny Smile
It's nice, but there where some parts i just didn't understand man.
the poem is gud... even i did nt understand initially...