Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Staff?
(03-27-2012, 05:19 AM)BlackChaos Wrote: I suggest we don't carry on this topic for too long. As mentioned before, its not our place to make suggestions about who should or would be staff and who doesn't.
Omni is experienced enough to handle SF on his own if need be asn as Fragma stated, there really isn't a real need for a moderator right now.

Also, sorry but I did laugh at your lateness Fragma. Hehe

Nobody is trying to make a decision, everyone is just misinterpreting the OP in my opinion. It was intended as a guessing game, however I think it should have been posted in the Off Topic area instead.
(03-27-2012, 05:26 AM)AceInfinity Wrote: Nobody is trying to make a decision, everyone is just misinterpreting the OP in my opinion. It was intended as a guessing game, however I think it should have been posted in the Off Topic area instead.

I understood the OP. King's just kidding around, not actually suggesting someone. I'm talking about those who actually are posting opinions on who, why or how people should be made staff.
It is honestly a hopeless cause. The cycle will repeat, a staff member will get promoted who would be Ace/Fragma/King/etc and they'll start being extra active on the forums. Then after a week or two they will seldom log on and they will get demoted after awhile. It has happened to every staff member, some lasting a bit longer then others.

And it is simply because nothing goes on here. People come here and post, and that is it. And let me add the crap you guys post about is so pointless that anyone with a brain would not want to discuss it. Go and click "View New Posts" and you will find maybe 1 interesting thread per week. That is a direct result of the Support Feather award (so this will change once traffic starts generating from elsewhere...but that is on Omniscient to do). All we have is mindless discussions, un-enthused staff, and a weak memberbase.

No changes, no administration support, no contests, and no events. Sure, you don't need that stuff for a community. But for this one, we do need something to constantly keep the members (and sadly even the staff) actively posting and checking the board.

So why go through the process? Let us get some intelligent members here. Start working on SEO, advertise on forums that have intelligent people on it (see: Not HackForums), etc. Then we can have some good discussions. Before we know it, we'll actually need a moderator and there will be a reason for that new moderator to stay. At this rate, nothing will happen. And nothing ever does.

edit: and Breshie will never become staff.
(03-27-2012, 08:18 AM)Peter L Wrote: It is honestly a hopeless cause. The cycle will repeat, a staff member will get promoted who would be Ace/Fragma/King/etc and they'll start being extra active on the forums. Then after a week or two they will seldom log on and they will get demoted after awhile. It has happened to every staff member, some lasting a bit longer then others.

And it is simply because nothing goes on here. People come here and post, and that is it. And let me add the crap you guys post about is so pointless that anyone with a brain would not want to discuss it. Go and click "View New Posts" and you will find maybe 1 interesting thread per week. That is a direct result of the Support Feather award (so this will change once traffic starts generating from elsewhere...but that is on Omniscient to do). All we have is mindless discussions, un-enthused staff, and a weak memberbase.

No changes, no administration support, no contests, and no events. Sure, you don't need that stuff for a community. But for this one, we do need something to constantly keep the members (and sadly even the staff) actively posting and checking the board.

So why go through the process? Let us get some intelligent members here. Start working on SEO, advertise on forums that have intelligent people on it (see: Not HackForums), etc. Then we can have some good discussions. Before we know it, we'll actually need a moderator and there will be a reason for that new moderator to stay. At this rate, nothing will happen. And nothing ever does.

edit: and Breshie will never become staff.

I completely agree with you.

For this Omni is responsible, the lack of interest in site is just because of Support feather. It was a good idea for site promotion for starting months.
If he would have discontinued the award after a month or so. This site would have been a better place.
Better threads, better posts, better discussion. I thank god, Omni stopped giving this award, it'll make SF a better place I guess. If Omni starts to promote SF again but now via HF's feather.
If you are willing to join SF Webmasters.
Quote:The cycle will repeat, a staff member will get promoted who would be Ace/Fragma/King/etc and they'll start being extra active on the forums. Then after a week or two they will seldom log on and they will get demoted after awhile.

That's not me mate Smile However I don't have the time here, so it would never start off as me being active here. I've got my own forum to take care of, simple as that.

I'm still the most active member on my forum, i'm on virtually everyday.

Quote:So why go through the process? Let us get some intelligent members here. Start working on SEO, advertise on forums that have intelligent people on it (see: Not HackForums), etc. Then we can have some good discussions. Before we know it, we'll actually need a moderator and there will be a reason for that new moderator to stay. At this rate, nothing will happen. And nothing ever does.

We've got intelligent members here, a few of them. I would say that it's not active because there's no interest from a first glance here, so the people who have come here to notice the kind of community SF is and that decided to stay have just been run down because nobody else is joining the party so to speak Smile

The reason being, is because Omni's main source of revenue for traffic here in the beginning was HF, hardly anybody wanted to actually be on SF, because it was just a throw away forum and forum account once they had the award. The key here would be to advertise in some other places or provide some kind of different strategy in order to keep members from HF over here if that's really the direction he wanted to go.
We have less than 5 intelligent people here, truly intelligent people. But we have over 100 people online per day.

That was my point.
(03-27-2012, 08:18 AM)Peter L Wrote: It is honestly a hopeless cause. The cycle will repeat, a staff member will get promoted who would be Ace/Fragma/King/etc and they'll start being extra active on the forums. Then after a week or two they will seldom log on and they will get demoted after awhile. It has happened to every staff member, some lasting a bit longer then others.

Not every staff member. I wasn't demoted, I stepped down in hope that Omni would start being more active, which in a sense worked quite well.
I do agree with the majority of the other points you made though.

It's a shame seeing the direction that this forum is heading, and has been heading for a while now.
These days I don't enjoy posting here as much as I used to. I feel like it's more a job posting here rather than a hobby, just trying to keep the forum going.
I miss the days when Eve, Elektrisk, Jordan, Skill, Damink, Solidus, Untouch, Nemmyy, Grizzly, bkotz, etc.. were all active here. They were some of the best members I've ever came across on a forum, and they, along with myself, Sam, Peter, Ace and a few others were the back bone of SF. The banter was great, there was lots of activity, lots of interesting posts, and that's the reason I stayed here. Now there are a handful of members here who I get along with and enjoy talking to, but it's not the same as it used to be.

Will SF ever get back to how it was when it began? I hope so, but I can't see it happening.
All these depressing stories slowly moving astray from the topic of this thread lol. We have the award finally gone, which is what people here had been waiting for for a long time, let's see where that takes this community instead of keeping your heads hanging below your shoulders Smile
If Omni spends more time on the forum then we won't need another mod. Like Fragma said, the forum is easy to moderate and dealing with a day's reports wouldn't take longer than 30 mins/ 1 hour.
If there were to be another mod, I'd put money on Ace.
[Image: QRCjW2pNdRK00.gif]
#Korra2018
(03-27-2012, 11:17 AM)D3xus Wrote: If Omni spends more time on the forum then we won't need another mod. Like Fragma said, the forum is easy to moderate and dealing with a day's reports wouldn't take longer than 30 mins/ 1 hour.
If there were to be another mod, I'd put money on Ace.

I don't see there being a new mod, at least not for a while.
Ace has already said he's busy with his own forum.
Now that the award is gone, and spam is being prevented, the little amount of reports that I had to deal with when I was staff will have no doubt been cut down a lot. I'd hazard a guess at 2/3 reports a day at most here.

If I was to hazard a guess, I'd say Peter L would be the most obvious choice, but I really don't believe it's that important at all.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Welcome Damink to Staff Omniscient 34 5,271 06-11-2012, 12:49 PM
Last Post: Hazard
  No staff today? InfamousKnight 7 1,702 03-09-2011, 07:09 PM
Last Post: Solidus
  Inactive Staff Peter L 49 11,058 02-23-2011, 08:44 PM
Last Post: Solidus
  Why am I not staff? Sam 22 3,927 12-19-2010, 04:05 PM
Last Post: Sam
  Welcome Jay, to the Staff team. Sam 53 16,767 10-28-2010, 02:23 AM
Last Post: Magiic™