Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nice Book to Learn + Need Help ;P
I've been through the programming game for the past year on & off trying to learn but couldn't find the perfect book. Started out with C# now went on to try C++ & <3 it more than C#. The book I've started to go through is Ivan Horton's Visual C++. Goes with VS 2010 & focuses on both C++/CLI & ISO/IEC (I believe, basically .NET Framwork & Native, correct me if I'm wrong).

But that's the problem, in every book I've came across, I would always get stuck with variables, what they are & how they work such as char. Now, int is the easiest to understand because it's just -2343543543 to 324235435. A huge number you could put in.

Is there a chance anyone could port up about all the variables & there uses or slap me in the face as you give me a resource that's already on this forum or even a resource as I'm probably the first to ask a stupid question that my brain can't comprehend???
A developer, thinker & bliss guy that tries his hardest to enjoy life ~~~
(01-27-2012, 06:03 AM)Pacman-Nemtap Wrote: I've been through the programming game for the past year on & off trying to learn but couldn't find the perfect book. Started out with C# now went on to try C++ & <3 it more than C#. The book I've started to go through is Ivan Horton's Visual C++. Goes with VS 2010 & focuses on both C++/CLI & ISO/IEC (I believe, basically .NET Framwork & Native, correct me if I'm wrong).

But that's the problem, in every book I've came across, I would always get stuck with variables, what they are & how they work such as char. Now, int is the easiest to understand because it's just -2343543543 to 324235435. A huge number you could put in.

Is there a chance anyone could port up about all the variables & there uses or slap me in the face as you give me a resource that's already on this forum or even a resource as I'm probably the first to ask a stupid question that my brain can't comprehend???

C++/CLI is not native C++, and you don't need to use .NET methods. If you use Windows Forms application, they are by default set up with the .NET framework though I believe.

char is just a single char, but if you make a pointer to type char, you can have a char string if you wanted. Otherwise you can utilize the <string> namespace to use strings, and there's a few others that enable you to use strings as well.

What can't you comprehend about variables though? HOW FAR, have you gotten to be more specific? I can maybe help you out.
Not much helpful, I'm still trying to get through the variables, I don't understand them all the way. Is theres a chance that we could talk together via chat like AIM or Windows Live???
(01-28-2012, 07:37 AM)Pacman-Nemtap Wrote: Not much helpful, I'm still trying to get through the variables, I don't understand them all the way. Is theres a chance that we could talk together via chat like AIM or Windows Live???

I hardly use them, but I don't have AIM or Skype. I don't even use Facebook. Just post problematic code that you're having trouble with and i'll walk you through it.

It's best if you try things on your own, and then if you're doing something wrong, to learn from it. It's the best way to learn any language.
I understand what your talking. Hell, I shoot through with so much protection using this forum with a proxy & an alias XD
I'll take a crack at getting you to understand.

My original question was about variables themselves.
Like, how are they used for programs, how would char be used??? How would you use the other variables available???
(01-28-2012, 02:35 PM)Pacman-Nemtap Wrote: I understand what your talking. Hell, I shoot through with so much protection using this forum with a proxy & an alias XD
I'll take a crack at getting you to understand.

My original question was about variables themselves.
Like, how are they used for programs, how would char be used??? How would you use the other variables available???

Have you ever used a calculator before? Remember the ANS button? Smile

Basically variables store information so that you can use them in other places, check their values, and execute other functions based on that value.

char holds a char value. Other variables depend on their types. But i'm not sure what you're confused about here Huh

int = number value, but it's short, so it's maximum isn't very large in comparison to a long int.
char = one character value
(01-28-2012, 02:43 PM)AceInfinity Wrote: Have you ever used a calculator before? Remember the ANS button? Smile

Basically variables store information so that you can use them in other places, check their values, and execute other functions based on that value.

char holds a char value. Other variables depend on their types. But i'm not sure what you're confused about here Huh

int = number value, but it's short, so it's maximum isn't very large in comparison to a long int.
char = one character value
That's it, what is the char exactly used for in a program, to understand what someone puts in???
(01-28-2012, 02:49 PM)Pacman-Nemtap Wrote: That's it, what is the char exactly used for in a program, to understand what someone puts in???

Like I mentioned, it depends. Perhaps you have a program where you need to iterate through a selection of letters from the alphabet to make a check as to whether a sentence contains certain values. For example, checking for vowels?

Otherwise if you have something like this, you can make it a char string:

Code:
int main()
{
    char * str = "string value";
}

You're using a pointer here as type char, but this enables you to use a string value.

Otherwise you can use string:
Code:
int main()
{
    string str = "my string";
}
(01-28-2012, 02:57 PM)AceInfinity Wrote: Like I mentioned, it depends. Perhaps you have a program where you need to iterate through a selection of letters from the alphabet to make a check as to whether a sentence contains certain values. For example, checking for vowels?

Otherwise if you have something like this, you can make it a char string:

Code:
int main()
{
    char * str = "string value";
}

You're using a pointer here as type char, but this enables you to use a string value.

Otherwise you can use string:
Code:
int main()
{
    string str = "my string";
}
I can still say through that, I'm confused as hell.
What exactly confuses you about it though?

Do you understand pointers? You should start from the absolute basics if you don't understand what I posted, and move up from there Smile

Code:
variable_type give_var_a_name = assign_value;

Code:
int int_x = 10;

variable of type int named int_x assigned the value of 10.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  C# book? Miku 7 1,234 12-29-2011, 11:17 PM
Last Post: Miku
  At What Age Did You Learn C++ Win 66 18,148 12-11-2011, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Neel