Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vote Your Favourite Forum Software of 2012!
(01-30-2012, 05:42 AM)///ViNcE Wrote: You said that you posted this before, didn't get anything & now it is. I mean that SF is actually getting more popular where people are actually responding to forums XD

No I said I posted it ages ago but no one posted on it. It was posted 5 days ago.

SF has veen active for years now, but yes, it's growing.
MyBB is my favorite by far. It is very simple and user-friendly.
[Image: 0xWVt.png]
I voted for MyBB. I like phpBB as well, but the built in features in MyBB just surpasses those of phpBB.
mybbsux so i voted for vBulletin Smile
The Rules!
FTW Forum <-- Home of the Damned! --> Join me On MM

(02-04-2012, 12:06 AM)DAMINK™ Wrote: mybbsux so i voted for vBulletin Smile

Lol, I believe you're like the only one, so good luck there buddy. Roflmao

MyBB > Every Other Software
(02-04-2012, 07:38 AM)BreShiE Wrote: Lol, I believe you're like the only one, so good luck there buddy. Roflmao

MyBB > Every Other Software

Only one here perhaps. But thats expected isnt it?
Seriously man. Why use a product that has part time programmers developing it?
How can it compare to a paid quality software? Money yea sure. But $200 for me is less than a days work so its not a big deal.
Paid software has paid developers thus security and other patches are addressed promptly.
Thats what i pay for and thats what i get.
The Rules!

Free would be MyBB
Paid for would VBulletin.
(02-04-2012, 03:12 PM)DAMINK™ Wrote: Only one here perhaps. But thats expected isnt it?
Seriously man. Why use a product that has part time programmers developing it?
How can it compare to a paid quality software? Money yea sure. But $200 for me is less than a days work so its not a big deal.
Paid software has paid developers thus security and other patches are addressed promptly.
Thats what i pay for and thats what i get.

Part time, but MORE developers because of the fact that you don't need to buy it to start development on it. So it balances out, if you look at the bigger picture here. It's like trying to compare Windows to Linux. How can you determine which is better? Microsoft Windows is paid for, Linux is free, but there's much more development on Linux, because it's open source, and it's free, so everyone gets a chance to help out.

What you pay for is what you get, but that doesn't work for everything. Take Notepad++ for example, and I still find it better than numerous paid notepads out there, yet it's still free.

"paid quality software" - That's a falsified perception in my opinion. Paid does not mean better all the time, and it doesn't mean quality all the time either. Vbulletin is good, but for the price of MyBB, that makes things fairly even.
I dont think its like comparing windows and linux at all.
I dont think mybb is anywhere close to vb so that comparison is wrong.
TomM used a good comparison.
Mybb is like a backpackers hostel and vb is like a 5 star hotel.
There are countless reasons why vb is better if you simply compare the 2 products and take away the cost.
If this was not the case then why do vb still sell well?
Many large forums rely on it and pay for it because its superior.
Not saying mybb does not suit the needs of the average user. It certainly does.
Labrocca is proof it can even run large forums however i suspect this is mostly due to the fact its Labroccas site and he administers the servers more than the software.
The Rules!

Quote:There are countless reasons why vb is better if you simply compare the 2 products and take away the cost.

Yes, but the cost doesn't go away does it? lol Smile

How do you know how well VB sells? It stays on the development though because of the price being quite high, they don't need to sell it to a whole lot of people, 3 to 4 sold a month, and that's still a decent amount of income for somebody.

Quote:Many large forums rely on it and pay for it because its superior

True, some large forums use it, but there's also HF which uses MyBB and is quite bigger than some of those relatively large VB forums out there. Even some large forums on PhpBB that still exist, but that doesn't mean i'm vouching for PhpBB, because I don't think it's nearly as good as MyBB for being free as well.

Quote:Labrocca is proof it can even run large forums however i suspect this is mostly due to the fact its Labroccas site and he administers the servers more than the software

I'm not getting how that could be resulting in how big his forum got though. Any admin would have had to administer the software itself to get such a big forum as the one forum we all know about in my opinion. You couldn't possibly do that from the server side at all.

Back to the beginning of your post though:
Quote:I dont think mybb is anywhere close to vb so that comparison is wrong.
TomM used a good comparison.

I don't think there's many out there has had enough experience with both to positively say that everything about VB is better than MyBB, and if those comparisons are even accurate enough, to be able to balance those out to compare overall. But because of the rapid development on MyBB, and better documentation, I can assume MyBB will prosper over most forums for that reason.

You've mentioned VB being much better (and again, i'm not saying it's bad), but you haven't listed any of the advantages over MyBB that it has.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  myBB Forum Permission Cache Error - Crippling My Forum CruciasNZ 1 895 04-24-2013, 12:11 AM
Last Post: Kevin Cheri
  best free forum software Miku 21 4,405 09-28-2012, 01:18 AM
Last Post: Dolan.
  Best Forum Software? Tubby 13 2,253 06-07-2012, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Retribute
  Favourite Forum Software? Mark Webber 89 12,709 01-21-2012, 05:52 PM
Last Post: Dube
  Forum software [Free] eax 10 2,516 11-13-2011, 10:05 AM
Last Post: iMoney