Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hooot.com redirect virus
Hi!

Can someone please help me? My computer seems to have been infected by some kind of adware. Whenever I land on a website, any link I click from there will lead to some blank page from Hooot.com. Does anybody know how to fix this?? It would be very much appreciated!!

Thank you
I actually just finished helping someone with this issue I believe, and it could be the same virus... Since there's no more malware removal team here though, I thought i'd post on this, but first thing you should start off with a Malware Bytes scan. I can't analyze a HiJackThis log however.
Thanks! Did a malware bytes scan already and it Quarantined and deleted 23 detected files the problem persists. The program has however blocked the hooot.com site so when i click a link, the hooot.com homepage doesn't come out.

Where should I go from here?

Thank you for your reply! Smile
As I noticed on the earlier post regarding this Virus, it also makes certain registry entries, but I also see "RDCA" sneaking in to view this thread, so maybe he can assist you from here? Smile
RDCA here and I will be your helper today. Please try to be patient with me as I will be with you. I will look over your logs and provide you with the proper removal instructions. Please try to follow these rules to make the process and removal if necessary much easier.
  • Do not create any new threads. This will waste the time of one of my fellow helpers.
  • Do not pm me, keep all your info in this thread as its easier for me to analyze the info.
  • Please try to use PasteBin to put your logs in as some of them may not fit into this forum.
  • If you have any P2P sharing programs(limewire, utorrent, ect) please refrain from using them.
  • Please follow all instructions that are given, as I do have reasons for the steps I give. If they are not follow it could cause major problems.
  • Please report anything you see abnormal to me.
  • Do Not panic.

I shall update this with instructions very soon. Other members please refrain from posting here as of now. Thanks for your understanding.

RDCA, stop being a whore and go take the unreplied 3 day+ logs from HF. Pirate
HJT Team. Deltron <3 RDCA <3 Quintus <3
Step 1
  • Please download Malwarebytes' AntiMalware.

Double click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
    • Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
    • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
    • Once the program has loaded, select Perform Full Scan, then click Scan.
      The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
    • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
    • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
    • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to restart. Restart if it tells you to.
    • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
    • Copy and paste the entire report in your next reply.

Step 2
  • Download SuperAntiSpyware
    • Load SuperAntiSpyware and click the Check for updates button.
    • Once the update is finished click the Scan your computer button.
    • Check Perform Complete Scan and then next.
    • SuperAntiSpyware will now scan your computer and when its finished it will list all the infections it has found.
    • Make sure that they all have a check next to them and press next.
    • Click finish and you will be taken back to the main interface.
    • Click Preferences and then click the statistics/logs tab. Click the dated log and press view log and a text file will appear.
    • Copy and paste the log onto the forum.

Step 3
  • Download OTL from one of the following links:
    1. LINK 1
    2. LINK 2
    3. LINK 3
    Remember to save it on your Desktop.
    • Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.

• Click on Minimal Output at the top

• Paste this into Custom Scan box at the bottom
      • Quote:netsvcs
        drivers32
        %SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.*
        %systemroot%\*. /mp /s
        CREATERESTOREPOINT
        %systemroot%\System32\config\*.sav
        HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU
        HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update\Results\Install|LastSuccessTime /r
        s

• Click the Run Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
      • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.

• Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of these files, one at a time, and post them in this thread. Remember to use www.pastebin.com as the logs may be too long to post.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need Help - Virus Untouch 34 9,855 11-11-2010, 02:22 PM
Last Post: Sam
  [HJT] I got a virus hinchy 3 1,559 10-17-2009, 07:51 PM
Last Post: Skawke