Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Setting up 2 Wireless Routers - does it help
I've been searching for a step-by-step instruction or configuration diagram but can't find a straight answer that will address all aspects of setting up 2 routers.
Sorry for the long winded question, but I want to make sure I'm understood.

First part of the question is
Will 2 routers be an advantage to offset the sharing of workload.
Will it improve performance through workload sharing and speed up tasks.

Synopsis –
I have 8 devices listed below, I want the following to occur.
Primary Router A would perform all the tasks that are required by 4 specific devices Secondary Router B would perform all the tasks that are required for another 4 devices.

My current configuration all goes through a single Router A

1. Computer 1 – media storage Wired to port 1
2. Computer 2 – workhorse with Wired to port 2
3. Computer 3 – laptop with wireless connection
4. Thinkpad Tablet – Wireless access to the internet
5. Samsung Galaxy S II phone – Wireless access to the internet
6. DVD Player 1 – Wireless streaming video from internet and computer 1 to provide data to TV-1
7. DVD Player 2 – Wireless streaming video from internet and computer 1 to provide data to TV-1 in other room.
8. Printer Wired connection to Router A Port 3 shared by all computers.
9. Guest devices, visitors with phones and computers.

The stress comes from performing the following simultaneous functions.
Watching a movie through streaming video from computer 1 to DVD players 1&2 while moving files from one computer to another while on the internet downloading new files.

IP’s are dynamic so when I reboot any device, IP’s may change.

I have a spare Linksys dual band wireless router (Router B) which I want to offload and share the stress of what the primary Router A is currently doing.

From what I’ve read, all I have to do is make a second gateway number on Router B and disable the DHCP

Example
Router A which is connected to the internet remains with the configuration = gateway IP is 192.168.1.1 and DHCP enabled.
Router B which is placed in another room = gateway IP is 192.168.1.2 disable the DHCP so it does not transmit IP addresses.

It seems a little too simple, but I’m reading that this should be all that is required.

Sub - Question :
Can this configuration be done without a physical Ethernet cable between the routers or does a cable have to exist for the two routers to bridge.

So let’s say I was to configure the two routers as explained above with or without a cable between the routers.
In my mind I think I would have to teach each device how to interact with each router to perform a specific function.

For instance:
1. I want to copy files between Computer 1 and Computer 3 – Use Router B
2. I want to stream video from Netflix to DVD player 1 – Use Router A
3. I want to stream video from Netflix to DVD player 2 – Use Router B
4. I want to download files from the internet from computer 2 – Use Router A
5. I want to print a document from Tablet – Use Router B
6. I want Samsung Galaxy S II to browse the internet – Use Router B

Is it possible to teach each device to reference a specific router as described in the above 6 examples.

If Yes..... How

That’s it, that’s my dilemma. Thank you for reading this far.
I don't know if it's exactly possible how you picture it. You have to remember that when you access the internet it doesn't matter if you connect to another router first, you still have to go trough the one connected to the internet. Does your router support Quality Of Service (QOS)? This is a protocol which prioritizes traffic for example if your streaming video while transferring files, you can set it up so the router makes sure the video gets priority over the file transfer. The file transfer will go slower because the video has priority, but the video will stay smooth.
Thanks for information provided!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to make my PC as wireless Router debasishsahu4u 2 1,130 12-25-2019, 11:30 PM
Last Post: rickmartin.gt
  Wireless not working «Ðartz™» 18 4,909 12-25-2019, 11:30 PM
  Having trouble with Wireless Internet JMEG 4 1,486 12-25-2019, 11:30 PM
  Wireless Lan Speed NAT 8 1,559 12-25-2019, 11:29 PM
  How to get password to your Wireless Router? Gregarious 19 5,953 01-14-2012, 04:07 PM
Last Post: Chrisayan