Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WiFi Interference
So heres my deal...I live in an apartment building so WiFi interference is rampid as most of you probably could imagine. Anyway, I have my Xbox 360 connected to the internet through a wireless router (Windstream Sagem F@ST 1704-Modem/Router Combo). I would rather use a wired connection and be problem solved, but thats not possible due to the lack of phone jacks in my apt. So, I was wondering what I need to do as far as the set up of my router (channel, settings, etc.) to minimize my interference issues that I am having, (slow connections, etc.). Is there a way to view other networks channels they are using, if they are password protected? I have tried Channel 1 and 11 but had no luck and went back to auto. Thanks for the help, and my apologies for the short novel..lol. Smile
Keep your WiFi closer to you possible. It will always help.
You can find the channels of all the wlan's in range by opening a cmd on a wireless capable pc and executing this command:

Code:
netsh wlan show networks mode=bssid

It's recommended to use channel 1, 6 or 11 because these don't overlap each other.
(01-14-2012, 04:49 AM)InZanitY Wrote: You can find the channels of all the wlan's in range by opening a cmd on a wireless capable pc and executing this command:

Code:
netsh wlan show networks mode=bssid

It's recommended to use channel 1, 6 or 11 because these don't overlap each other.

Is there a way to run this command on a MAC? That is what I am currently using. And for the other suggestion of moving my router as close as possible, I am unable to move it any closer because the apartment only has two (2) phone jacks. The apartment is only a one (1) bedroom though and the distance is maybe only 30 feet or so, but has a few walls between the router and the reciever (Xbox 360 adapter).

On a side note, would it be better for me to switch to a "N" router and "N" adapter for my Xbox 360? Would that cause less interference beings other more than likely are using the "G" band?

Thanks for all the help and your time! Thumbsup
I'm not exactly a mac guy but I found this for you:

Quote:1. Hold Option and click the airport symbol in the context menu bar.

2. View the details of the network you are currently using.

3. Hold the cursor over the SSID of other listed networks for a second or two. The network details will pop up.

4. View information like channel, signal strength, MAC-ID, Transmission Rate, WiFi-Mode, etc.

Wireless N could surely improve your interference situation because it's able to operate on 5.8GHZ instead of 2.4GHZ. Beware that you have to set up your router to only use N. You cannot use for example g+n, cause in that case N will also operate on 2.4GHZ. Also, research the hardware your about to buy. Some cheaper routers who advertise they are N capable only are able to run N on 2.4GHZ. Make sure the router can operate on 5.8GHZ else you would be wasting your hard earned cash.
Another option could be this ethernet over power stuff, I don't know how reliable this is so you should investigate. Read a bit here:

http://dailycupoftech.com/2008/09/17/why...ver-power/
Okay will do. I tried the option key+ cursor hover, and it will only tell me what type of security they have and the RSSI Rating. It will not display the channel however.
Google is your friend ;)

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/27740/airradar
(01-14-2012, 10:51 PM)InZanitY Wrote: Google is your friend ;)

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/27740/airradar

Thanks!! Thats awesome! Too bad its not Freeware. Sad Heres the screenshot I took of nearby networks. (See Picture)

http://s1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii57...cture1.png

It pretty much seems like all the channels are being used (1,6, and 11).

**EDIT**Also is it possible for me to buy another Antenna that is better than the one that is in the router currently? Would this make the signal stronger so that interference is not so easily attained? Thanks again...
Which one is your network? The blue one or the purple one? A better antenna could possibly help, but I can't know if that's the weak spot in your setup. If your the purple network you should try channel 3. If your the blue one you should first secure it ;).

<edit> Maybe the internet symbol is there because your connected though it's secure, idk </edit>
Actually I am the one labeled "RSG". I have it secured with WPA2 Encryption..lol. I changed the channel to 3 and that has seemed to help. Does anyone know of a Freeware version or something similar the air radar program? I really like that program, I just dont see me using it enough to pay for something like that...Thanks for all the help thus far! Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WiFi SSID at Philadelphia Airport rickmartin.gt 0 495 12-25-2019, 11:33 PM
Last Post: rickmartin.gt
  Problem connecting WiFi router lionhawk 1 1,067 12-25-2019, 11:31 PM
Last Post: rickmartin.gt
  How to hack WiFi WEP Passwords Lеgеnd 1 1,280 05-01-2017, 10:30 PM
Last Post: Miltan
  wifi problem dakux 2 979 01-11-2014, 01:45 AM
Last Post: sparkgates
  Wifi wont access Kimai 4 1,166 10-26-2013, 08:33 AM
Last Post: MarkW7