Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Social networking sites?
Does anyone else feel that these sites are such a waste of time?

You post what is happening all throughout your day and you mindlessly refresh the page to see new updates on peoples life that have nothing to do with you.

What I have also noticed is that people talk to others and say things they wouldn't say IRL. Or talk to people they generally don't even give em' the light of day.

In addition to that, you can stalk and learn so much about people that you wouldn't even know about them if you talk with them on a daily basis. I was reading an article about this thought. They were talking about two people in an elevator, and one guy knew the other persons brothers name etc, without even knowing him personally, just through social networking sites.

The only reason I can see why someone should use these kind of sites is to keep in contact with people.

Just a couple of thoughts on the subject.

Disagree? Agree? Post your opinions!
I agree completely and I've deactivated my Facebook for reasons like this.

But the bigger issue is privacy. Any information you give Facebook (anything) can be accessed by the Government if they ask. That picture of you smoking pot, the status you made about how much of a dick your boss is, the inbox messages when you talked to your friends and sarcastically said you wanted to kill your neighbors dog. Facebook is the CIA's greatest tool, and it saves them money. People mindlessly post incriminating things on Facebook, mostly ignorant to the fact that it can bite them in the ass whenever.
I would agree with you on this one. Sure it's an alternative to connect with people out there. But you don't need to connect with all of your friends about every little thing they are doing, it's like having to hold hands with the rest of your friends and family because you can't get away from them for a day to worry about your own life in my opinion. If something important comes up, then learn to be sociable, you'll get a "text" from your friend or a phone call, or the next time they see you they will tell you about it.

I don't know something about having or wanting to post about your life whenever there's an update, even with Twitter (which seems even more like nonsense to me), it's just useless, and a big waste of time. No one cares if you have a quote that you heard or took from the internet and posted on your wall, or what you did that evening, what you had for lunch, who you're hanging out with, etc...

It's a bunch of junk, I've seen lots of my friends use facebook, but I'd still never get one. What's the point? You've got Myspace, Nexopia, Google+, Twitter, Facebook, etc... and none of these things make anyone's lives better, unless you're trying to market yourself as a music producer or some kind of company for example.
I agree, but there's also positive sides to it. You can't walk out and tell 1,000+ people an announcement. While there are privacy issues, if you don't post anything bad you don't have to worry about it. I use Facebook to invite people to parties and even to replace much of my use of email. The usefulness all depends on what you use it for and how you use it.
@Laugh Good point. It can also cost you a job.

@ACE How could I forget that? People spend all day posting those useless quotes that they didn't think of.

@Thomas Its not like everyone on your friends list/followers are going to see it.
(01-07-2012, 05:08 PM)skorch Wrote: @Laugh Good point. It can also cost you a job.

@ACE How could I forget that? People spend all day posting those useless quotes that they didn't think of.

@Thomas Its not like everyone on your friends list/followers are going to see it.

Your point being? It's still a whole lot more people you can reach out through the Internet and social networking sites than you could by just talking.
(01-07-2012, 05:09 PM)Thomas Wrote: Your point being? It's still a whole lot more people you can reach out through the Internet and social networking sites than you could by just talking.
Meh I only really see that useful if you have a fan page. If you have a personal announcement I would just send it to my closer friends or family instead of everyone else that probably doesn't care.
(01-07-2012, 05:26 PM)skorch Wrote: Meh I only really see that useful if you have a fan page. If you have a personal announcement I would just send it to my closer friends or family instead of everyone else that probably doesn't care.

I guess then the difference between you and me is that more people than just my closer friends and family care what I have to say. Like I said, what you get out of a social network all depends on your situation and your outlook.
(01-07-2012, 05:49 PM)Thomas Wrote: I guess then the difference between you and me is that more people than just my closer friends and family care what I have to say. Like I said, what you get out of a social network all depends on your situation and your outlook.
What the hell lol. That is not what I'm saying. People on your friends list/followers aren't always that important or really involved in your life. So they would care less.
(01-07-2012, 06:10 PM)skorch Wrote:
(01-07-2012, 05:49 PM)Thomas Wrote: I guess then the difference between you and me is that more people than just my closer friends and family care what I have to say. Like I said, what you get out of a social network all depends on your situation and your outlook.
What the hell lol. That is not what I'm saying. People on your friends list/followers aren't always that important or really involved in your life. So they would care less.

And I'm saying that maybe people don't care about you, but a majority of the people on my friends list actually care about me. Not sure about your life, but I know about mine.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  So many hosting sites DAMINKā„¢ 5 569 03-07-2012, 05:43 AM
Last Post: Starbreak
  Website Valuer Sites Fragma 3 653 02-08-2011, 09:41 PM
Last Post: Deltron
  how many sites does omni have? supremekhaoz 43 4,391 01-08-2011, 07:18 AM
Last Post: Toxic Injection
  A couple of sites of mine Protoman 26 2,256 05-13-2006, 08:05 AM
Last Post: Protoman