Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VB6 | PickYourShow0.1 BETA
(01-06-2012, 01:01 PM)Quizzical Wrote: Not bad, for a start this is very good, as for the idea in general of being able to watch TV shows. I like it. Possibly you could add series in the index then the series branching out to episodes to make the GUI a bit cleaner. I also think you should make a nicer GUI for it to be ready, but for a start this is very good!

I did start off doing that at the start, but the fact I'm going to be adding a lot of TV shows and they all have a lot of episodes in each, it would just be time consuming and would also waste resources on the users computer which isn't needed. The end result would be huge and would take months of working on it to complete. That's why I just shortened it to the buttons leading to a list of episodes instead. Less resources used and less time it took me to do.

When I started doing it, the GUI alone took me 30 minutes, and that was just for one TV show, I would then have to enter in a line of code for 50+ different labels, that would of been fine if it was just the one show, but as I would have to do it for possibly hundreds of others, I just scraped that idea.
If I were you I would scrap that button idea, allow for a list of links or something in a txt file that gets loaded to the application or something like that, and it would be more efficient in my opinion. If you absolutely had to you could multi-thread paged data to reduce what it loads per visual in a dgv control using threadpools.
Instead of it giving me links you should stream it straight into a video player. Or atleast implement the video player from the links into the program so its 1 click and there you have it. Instead of going through links, also use a Listbox or ComboBox and 1 button it will look nicer.
[Image: image.php]
(01-10-2012, 07:54 AM)TalishHF Wrote: Instead of it giving me links you should stream it straight into a video player. Or atleast implement the video player from the links into the program so its 1 click and there you have it. Instead of going through links, also use a Listbox or ComboBox and 1 button it will look nicer.

That way would be a waste of resources and would require hundreds of forms, take a look at some of my earlier posts.
(01-10-2012, 10:54 AM)BreShiE Wrote: That way would be a waste of resources and would require hundreds of forms, take a look at some of my earlier posts.

I would say try it, we know it sounds like a challenge which is where the excuses come from but the truth is this: the program isn't made to be easy for you to code. It's made for people to watch TV shows with ease. If you cannot create hundreds of forms (and actually you don't need that many) to make your program better then you shouldn't be making programs like this for others.
(01-10-2012, 10:54 AM)BreShiE Wrote: That way would be a waste of resources and would require hundreds of forms, take a look at some of my earlier posts.

Having buttons for each video Breshie would require hundreds of forms lol. Unless you want to have one huge form that covers the desktop to put all those buttons, I think it would be less resources doing it that way with only having the proc thread focus on designing that one control with more data in it, than having to use 100 buttons for 100 videos. Use a datagridview, or a listview. Best options for you I would say.

If you use a datagridview you have the potential to make it support 1000's of videos no problem if you wanted.
(01-10-2012, 06:00 PM)AceInfinity Wrote: Having buttons for each video Breshie would require hundreds of forms lol. Unless you want to have one huge form that covers the desktop to put all those buttons, I think it would be less resources doing it that way with only having the proc thread focus on designing that one control with more data in it, than having to use 100 buttons for 100 videos. Use a datagridview, or a listview. Best options for you I would say.

If you use a datagridview you have the potential to make it support 1000's of videos no problem if you wanted.

I'm not putting a button for each video. I'm putting a button for each show, which then links to an online page displaying links to all the episodes for that show.
It wouldn't require hundreds of forms at all if you had one form for the media player with sync options and one form for the show selection.
[Image: image.php]
(01-11-2012, 01:36 AM)BreShiE Wrote: I'm not putting a button for each video. I'm putting a button for each show, which then links to an online page displaying links to all the episodes for that show.

BreSHie, if you really wanted to see how much a listview would clean things up I could even make an example for you though lol. I'm not sure why you insist so much on using buttons, they are created for one time functions, but if there's similarities in any other things it needs to do, then you should group them together in a more consistent view; a listivew, datagridview, etc...

You could even go with a listbox or combobox, but listview or datagridview is ideal for this.
(01-11-2012, 02:31 AM)AceInfinity Wrote: BreSHie, if you really wanted to see how much a listview would clean things up I could even make an example for you though lol. I'm not sure why you insist so much on using buttons, they are created for one time functions, but if there's similarities in any other things it needs to do, then you should group them together in a more consistent view; a listivew, datagridview, etc...

You could even go with a listbox or combobox, but listview or datagridview is ideal for this.

I may use a combobox actually, stick the all the shows inside that and then just use one button to go to the URL of the show that's in the combobox. I'm going to try that out when I next get the chance, been extremely busy this week with starting to go to another college and what not.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Request] - Convert Excel formula to VB6 Code Carb0n F1ber 15 5,905 05-18-2015, 11:46 PM
Last Post: longwest
  vb6.0 SSTab control disappeared DanB 0 1,180 12-29-2012, 10:24 AM
Last Post: DanB
  [Preview] OnyxPad [Beta Testing] OnyxDev 1 987 05-17-2012, 04:48 PM
Last Post: Diabolic
  [HELP][VB6] Comparing md5/file size? Cloud203 5 2,033 02-04-2012, 02:47 PM
Last Post: Denny Crane
  [VB6] Shopping List BreShiE 3 1,363 12-30-2011, 07:51 PM
Last Post: BreShiE