Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Many missing files - Hijackthis log
No infections though, which is great. Smile
I finished scanning it. It said "windows resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."
(12-29-2011, 11:25 PM)kdang2 Wrote: I finished scanning it. It said "windows resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

That means you're all good to go. Thumbsup
uuummm.....I dont think it means I am good to go. I still have all these missing files. Please help!
Have you personally checked for their existence, are they hidden?
(12-30-2011, 04:18 PM)AceInfinity Wrote: Have you personally checked for their existence, are they hidden?

It appears the files are there. His USB devices and printers are working so it must be a false result.
With spooler missing you cant print so its definitely an error with HJT and there is some posts around the net regarding errors from HJT and windows 7 64 bit.
The reason the pc is lagging and freezing is an unrelated issue.
If those files were missing his pc would not work let along be able to post here.
I wonder if its not an overheating problem?
Easy to check during boot and going to bios and checking cpu temp.
The Rules!
FTW Forum <-- Home of the Damned! --> Join me On MM

(12-30-2011, 04:23 PM)DAMINK™ Wrote: It appears the files are there. His USB devices and printers are working so it must be a false result.
With spooler missing you cant print so its definitely an error with HJT and there is some posts around the net regarding errors from HJT and windows 7 64 bit.
The reason the pc is lagging and freezing is an unrelated issue.
If those files were missing his pc would not work let along be able to post here.
I wonder if its not an overheating problem?
Easy to check during boot and going to bios and checking cpu temp.

For those missing files sfc /scannow should have definitely fixed them too. It's an easy task for system file checker to repair missing files. Although if they were missing it wouldn't have returned a 100% okay result like it did for him either.
The reason why there is so many missing files in that list is because he's running a 64-bit version of Windows. For example, in the below line, the problem is because of the location of Program Files.

Quote:O23 - Service: @%PROGRAMFILES%\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe,-101 (WMPNetworkSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe (file missing)

It's likely that the Windows Media Player is located in the regular, 32-bit Program Files directory (Program Files) and not in the 64-bit directory (Program Files (x86)) like HJT thinks it is. He's still got everything necessary, but HJT's just getting confused as to where to find it.

That's why HJT is no longer used in malware removal.

(12-30-2011, 06:22 PM)King Wrote: The reason why there is so many missing files in that list is because he's running a 64-bit version of Windows. For example, in the below line, the problem is because of the location of Program Files.

It's likely that the Windows Media Player is located in the regular, 32-bit Program Files directory (Program Files) and not in the 64-bit directory (Program Files (x86)) like HJT thinks it is. He's still got everything necessary, but HJT's just getting confused as to where to find it.

hhhmm...if that is the case, is it a big problem that requires fixing? If so, how do I do that?
(12-30-2011, 06:22 PM)King Wrote: The reason why there is so many missing files in that list is because he's running a 64-bit version of Windows. For example, in the below line, the problem is because of the location of Program Files.

You may be right, and I don't even use HJT really. However you're a bit mixed up.
Quote:32-bit Program Files directory (Program Files) and not in the 64-bit directory (Program Files (x86)) like HJT thinks it is

Program Files (x86) where x86 refers to 32 bit, not 64 bit. x64 is 64 bit and there's no such thing as a default (Program Files x64)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HijackThis and how to use it. Skill 26 11,771 02-11-2016, 10:26 AM
Last Post: fgderw4
  HijackThis Pl1A (Professor needed) Grin 27 8,365 06-14-2012, 08:33 PM
Last Post: Retribute
  i may be infected can you analyze this otl log please helpplease 6 2,702 11-23-2011, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Brandenx781
  [HJT Log] Suspected virus. TheGeniusism 7 4,401 11-21-2010, 02:34 AM
Last Post: Quintus
  Do I have a virus? [Hijackthis logs included] nevets04 2 1,791 09-29-2010, 05:13 AM
Last Post: N3w_2_H@Ck1n™