Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My CD drive isn't working
Okay... So lets see where it started.
I have an Inspiron N5010 with Windows 7.
I went and put my LOTR (original, not burnt, it worked for me before) CD to watch with my brother, and suddenly my CD drive isn't working.
I put in another CD and it didn't work.
When I went to "Computer" and found out that there isn't any CD drive there.
I went to Device Manager to check if there is any change in the DVD/CD - ROM drives and when I checked there isn't anything there.
I've had this problem for around a few months.
Help?
Have you tried opening the side of your case and then removing the drive and cleaning it? Perhaps also try it on a different computer if it does not work, then that means its worn out/gone/wasted.
(12-23-2011, 02:43 PM)KraLL Wrote: Have you tried opening the side of your case and then removing the drive and cleaning it? Perhaps also try it on a different computer if it does not work, then that means its worn out/gone/wasted.

Take the drive out and clean it? WTF sort of advice is that?
Man thats just bad advice.

Me personally i would be removing the case cover and checking the power cables are securely attacked and the ide/sata
cable is also connected properly. If they are i would then change the power and ide/sata connection separately to see if thats the problem.
If that does not help i would then throw the cd drive out and get a new one.
The Rules!
FTW Forum <-- Home of the Damned! --> Join me On MM

Most motherboards have to SATA ports on the board or more. I suggest that you remove a side pannel then look for the sata port, it is shaped as a distinctive L, to find it follow a wire from the cd drive to the motherboard. There should be another cable going to a box this box is the power supply check to see if that is secure. If you change the SATA port and make sure that it is connected and it still does not work try it on another computer (not suggested if you don't know to much about computers). If all fails you can buy a good drive from newegg.com, if you do this make sure it fits your case.
Oopsies its a notebook not a desktop.
This makes it a little more difficult to simply check.
Not sure they are even removable drives to be honest.
Sorry OP i did not read your thread well enough.
The Rules!
FTW Forum <-- Home of the Damned! --> Join me On MM

Might want to check if it's still under warranty. Sounds to me like it has never been there.
If its under warranty just take it back, if not undo the case screws and most laptops actually have a slide out disc drive, if not, undo the case screws, take off the keyboard and check all of the cables going to the drive, if you still can't identify the problem, try buying the same drive off ebay and switching it in
I don't like to mess with laptops only desktops. But if your drive is messed up and theres not an easy way to remove it, its better to send it in for repair.
[Image: signature___ati_radeon_by_kravicka-d2y2f1x.png]
(12-24-2011, 08:02 AM)AMD Wrote: I don't like to mess with laptops only desktops. But if your drive is messed up and theres not an easy way to remove it, its better to send it in for repair.

Laptops arent actually that hard to open up and look at the components of, they are suprisingly easy to fix
Nah it passed warranty.
I'll take it in for a repair, just the problem is that I'm kinda short on money ATM.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need help with my CD/DVD Drive FaDeD-NiNjA 4 985 08-10-2010, 06:45 PM
Last Post: FaDeD-NiNjA