Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
[PREVIEW] updatr - Easy Application Updater
Hey SupportForums! I decided to create my own version of an application updater. It is in DLL form, and is pretty
decent for only running on 200 lines of code. As of now, it runs fairly well, and will only get better as I go on
developing it. As of now, the update form will simply tell you that an update is available, tell you what the new
and current versions are, and allow you to download it.

It reads a simple XML file to get all of the data required to update, and the parameters for the updater are
really simple.

Usage:
Code:
Imports updatr

Dim update As New Updater With {.dataFileURL = "http://yoursite.com/path-to-xml.xml"}
update.currentVersion = 5.0 'Replace with your application version
update.Show()

Basically, the application will check to see if there is an update, and if there is, display the form. If not, it will
simply tell you that it is up to date. It is written in a little under 200 lines of code, but it is not final, so I will be
adding to it later on. The XML file is also amazingly small too.

XML file:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<root>
  <application title=" Application Title " version=" 6.0 " url="http://your-site.com/path-to-new-version.exe"></application>
</root>

Really hard to get easier than that, unless you use a text document. (Which I am not a fan of.)
I will probably end up releasing it within the next few days so that I know that it works without error.
I will probably also be re-designing the update form too, as it is far too simple. (Doesn't include
download progress yet, as it is designed to be SUPER easy to use and install.)

Form Preview:
[Image: 1e6a3d.png]

So yeah, it is REALLY simple, and the text "updatr" is pulled from your XML file.
I will also be adding a method of design that will allow you to store multiple
applications in 1 xml file so that you don't need to waste space on your server.
And, if possible, I will be releasing a full web-page back-end to maintain and
manage your applications, data, downloads, etc.

Anyway, let me know what you guys think!
~ZerO
Hmm, 200 lines just for an updater?
maybe I'm missing something, but I made one with like, 30 lines? lol
Anyways, it's probably not as advanced, I know you're a really good coder.
[Image: 2.png]
Looks awesome, saw it ahead of time in action!
(10-27-2011, 11:20 PM)alabama Wrote: Hmm, 200 lines just for an updater?
maybe I'm missing something, but I made one with like, 30 lines? lol
Anyways, it's probably not as advanced, I know you're a really good coder.

Well, it is easily doable in less, but most of the code was because I wanted it organized.
I could technically do it all in one sub and make it work, but I did it in multiple subs and
multiple steps to make sure I could easily fix any bug that arose. I also designed the
form with just code and had to make it read an XML file from a server and download
data from it locally.

However, if I wanted to code it with a few lines of code, I could. :3

Glad you guys like it though! I am aiming for it to be themable, so people can make
it fit their application seamlessly.

Let's hope I get it working.. :3
~ZerO
^ Ah I see.
The one I made for a small project just checked a .ws file on the 'net and compared it to the current version number.
[Image: 2.png]
Wow i think this is a pretty cool updater really nice on coding on that Smile
(11-08-2011, 09:09 PM)Warez Wrote: Wow i think this is a pretty cool updater really nice on coding on that Smile

Thanks! I may release it soon, but I want to find a way to make it themeable.

~ZerO
This is awesome! Pretty usefull!
Nice work , somes improvment can be made in the source code but it's already very good.
Thanks for the share !
(11-19-2011, 01:33 PM)Benztw Wrote: Nice work , somes improvment can be made in the source code but it's already very good.
Thanks for the share !

What improvements can be made? I am thinking of a way to make it work on multiple applications, but for the most part, it is flawless.

~ZerO

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Preview] Windows 7 Tools [VB.NET] ƃu∀ ıʞƃu∀ 4 3,173 10-14-2014, 11:55 AM
Last Post: 'Onam
  [Preview] SoundLoader FizzyMentos 2 1,084 09-11-2012, 08:24 PM
Last Post: malis2007
  Preview to Forum Tools v1.0 Bill Nye The Science Guy 7 1,608 06-24-2012, 04:27 AM
Last Post: kpn37z
  [Preview] OnyxPad [Beta Testing] OnyxDev 1 1,003 05-17-2012, 04:48 PM
Last Post: Diabolic
  AutoBlue - BSOD Tool - Preview Only AceInfinity 4 1,273 02-24-2012, 09:06 PM
Last Post: AceInfinity