Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perl vs Python
I heard they are both very useful and easy to learn and I'm wondering which one was best for you guys. Most people argue that Python is a lot more "readable" and other than that is identical to Perl. Others will tell you that Perl is much more powerful as a programming language and is better for programming rather than scripting. Also I would like to point out that Python is a scripting and programming hybrid and is capable of many things. I have started to learn Python because EVERYONE thinks it is the best language to start out with first. However I am thinking Perl might be a better choice for me. Blackhat
[Image: izsyo6.jpg]

I'm into perl really big, but I write a little python too. Mostly I use perl because of cpan. It's really just so easy to pull some packages off of the web and start grinding away at a problem, cpan just has hundreds of thousands of man hours put into it. Python has something similar called pypy but it isn't nearly as populated as cpan. I like perl's syntax, but most people think it is ugly as sin, but that is probably why I like it, it reminds me of me. Python has a lot cleaner syntax, and it has the mindshare right now, which is really good if your on linux and you want to install things like pygame, which pretty much no matter what distro you are on there will be a package for it, and you won't have to compile it from source.

But in closing I'm a dirty nuts and bolts linux code monkey so I stick with cpan, ugly code and, tar balls.
I see, so I think I will get into Python due to its easy accessibility and readable code until it stops being powerful enough to suit my needs and turn to Perl or C++ or Java. Thanks for the clarification.
[Image: izsyo6.jpg]

Enjoy your whitespace restrictions
[Completely Honest. Seriously.]

Protip: Anonymous Reputation Points are for Pussies
I am currently learning perl. I guess it's just what you're planing to use it for, e.g. perl is good for exploits (70% exploits coded in perl).
(11-13-2009, 04:55 PM)h4ckingURLife Wrote: I am currently learning perl. I guess it's just what you're planing to use it for, e.g. perl is good for exploits (70% exploits coded in perl).

All those exploits code be written in python aswell, and usually with more ease

It really comes down to choice, Python has a cleaner syntax, better OOP, shitloads of awesome built in functions, etc
Python uses whitespaces versuses semi colons and brackets, which helps keep the code neat
[Image: nv70ad.png]
Terrorcore, unleash, extermination
Hyper real, cold blood, determination
fudge them, I like this sensation
Incredible, I from the annihilation
(11-13-2009, 06:30 PM)Fallen Wrote: All those exploits code be written in python aswell, and usually with more ease

It really comes down to choice, Python has a cleaner syntax, better OOP, shitloads of awesome built in functions, etc
Python uses whitespaces versuses semi colons and brackets, which helps keep the code neat

What happened?

(10-28-2009, 03:57 PM)uber1337 Wrote: Also I would like to point out that Python is a scripting and programming hybrid and is capable of many things.

scripting and programming hybrid? wat?

scripting is programming. It refers to programming with a scripting language, but scripting languages are a type of programming language.

The only real difference between a scripting language and a compiled language, is that scripting languages are compiled and executed at run time. Compiled languages are compiled which generates an executable file.

Both compiled and scripting languages are programming languages.

If you're looking for a scripting and compiled language hybrid, learn java. It's compiled into bytecode that is compiled and executed at runtime by the jvm.

However, since you've chosen python as your first language, I'd like to say:
have fun guessing where your crap starts and stops

That is all.
(11-14-2009, 11:27 AM)FarOut Wrote: scripting and programming hybrid? wat?

scripting is programming. It refers to programming with a scripting language, but scripting languages are a type of programming language.

The only real difference between a scripting language and a compiled language, is that scripting languages are compiled and executed at run time. Compiled languages are compiled which generates an executable file.

Both compiled and scripting languages are programming languages.

If you're looking for a scripting and compiled language hybrid, learn java. It's compiled into bytecode that is compiled and executed at runtime by the jvm.

However, since you've chosen python as your first language, I'd like to say:
have fun guessing where your crap starts and stops

That is all.

I know what you mean about the Python thing Smile
Also while we're talking about Java, if you were to get into the world of malware creation Java is a great language, due to how Java works Anti-Virus programs can't touch the Java bytecode - this basically makes your malware fully undetectable.
I've never tested this theory; I read it somewhere and it makes sense to me - Sorry if I'm wrong.

Where do I learn perl?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Compile Error in Perl liveproject101 0 1,160 04-12-2013, 03:08 AM
Last Post: liveproject101
  [Perl] IRC Bot wchar_t 26 12,911 08-20-2012, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Trump
  Perl Ebook ven0m 2 1,634 05-04-2012, 08:14 AM
Last Post: ven0m
  Help with a program written in perl Rodman42866 1 1,536 03-09-2012, 03:16 AM