Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do I install Ubuntu?
I've downloaded Ubuntu 11.04 32bit, I then downloaded Universal USB Installer, and created it inside my external hard drive.
I've also set it up in my BIOS settings to boot the external hard drive first.

So I did all that, then restarted my laptop, but nothing happened? So rather than seeing the Ubuntu welcome screen like it shows in the download instructions, Windows just booted up like it normally does.

Am I doing something wrong here?
You probably didn't setup bootloader correctly, so that it points to Windows hdd and not your ExHDD, this happens the most of the times.

There is a way to fix this, it's that I just don't know it, Solidus might help you here better....
Otherwise just run the installation again and once you get to choose where you want to install it, you will have an "Bootloader" checkbox, just check it, works for me everytime...

Currently I'm on 11.04 and it's running form the USB (8gb), once I plug it out, it boots into windows normaly, and it doesn't matter in which port I put the usb...

edit: This might help you if you start a live session and try the steps...
http://techhamlet.com/2010/02/edit-grub-boot-loader/

another edit:
[Image: steps+by+steps+installing+ubuntu+7.png]
Yo see the "Device for Boot Loader installation", there you need to choose your USB device...
I'm pretty sure I set it up correctly. There were 4 options in the BIOS settings;
Hard Drive (which I assume is the Windows hdd)
Removable Device
USB Device
CD/DVD

I tried putting both Removable Device & USB Device at the top of the boot order, but still it just booted up Windows, like it was ignoring the fact I even had my external hard drive plugged in.
(09-21-2011, 03:02 PM)Fragma Wrote: I'm pretty sure I set it up correctly. There were 4 options in the BIOS settings;
Hard Drive (which I assume is the Windows hdd)
Removable Device
USB Device
CD/DVD

I tried putting both Removable Device & USB Device at the top of the boot order, but still it just booted up Windows, like it was ignoring the fact I even had my external hard drive plugged in.

Yeah that's because your boot loader is setup to load from the windows hdd, it doesn't matter what you setup in your bios, because th boot loader that i installed during the process points to your windows hdd...

That is a message from CloudFlare @ Gaijin it was challenging if you were a bot or not lol.
[Image: blazin.gif]
Got it working. Cheers for the help Gaijin.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help me to install skype + yahoo messenger on Ubuntu aminmusa 13 6,128 04-08-2012, 08:53 AM
Last Post: aminmusa
  Proper way to install Ubuntu 11.10 [question] Miku 10 4,645 11-06-2011, 01:30 PM
Last Post: Miku
  How to Install Assault Cube [UBUNTU] USN 1 2,698 07-22-2011, 10:04 PM
Last Post: Kotto*N[ix]mouth
  Get Ubuntu 11.04 >>Upgrade from Ubuntu 10.10 aminmusa 15 6,987 04-25-2011, 02:06 AM
Last Post: aminmusa
  [ubuntu v=9.10]Apache2 errors[/ubuntu] jfmherokiller 10 3,625 11-23-2010, 08:26 PM
Last Post: haphazard