Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Got my first job: PC Repair Shop
So, I passed by a local repair shop and saw a sign asking for help. I called, sent in a resume, and started working the next day. After I re-size them (probably not today) I will post some pictures of my station. So far all I've done is stuff like cleared Windows passwords, cleaned out malicious stuff, backed up documents, swapped out a motherboard with a new one and a new processor, fixed a DVD drive, and cleared a password on an old Gateway machine's BIOS.
It's a pretty nice job. I work Mon-Fri, 9-6, and Saturday's from 10-2. It's awkward though, cause my boss is like a genius and he thinks I'm retarded haha. But oh well. So far I've only worked 17 hours and got a check for $168.
Anyone have experience working in computer shops?
Not bad, i wouldnt mind working on comps for a job. Good luck man
Nice, I wish I had a job like that. I bet the environment is relaxed. Good luck with the new job.
[Image: swaganomics.png]
Thanks guys, but actually, Swag, it's not. It is on Saturday, cause the boss isn't in. But through the week, he's there, and he's intimidating in a way. He's certified in freakin' everything, and you're messing with his hardware, and his client's hardware, so you're always worried that you're gonna screw up. I thought I caused a short in the motherboard I was replacing, and he freaked out when he thought it was me too. But, it actually was just a bad board he had laying around that I got mixed up (exact same board). But when he's not there, I pretty much just set there, and he has computers that are waiting for me with little "work orders" taped on them. I just read it, do it, write what I did on the form, set it down, and start again with a new one. Then I'll occasionally help someone who walks into the shop. But hey, It's an alright job. I'm happy. Going in tomorrow around 0900.
A while back I worked as a computer tech, closest thing i've done to working in a computer shop
I've worked as a student worker in an IT department. Mostly resetting forgotten passwords and dealing with viruses. It's amazing how people making $150,000+ a year can be so dumb sometimes!
(09-11-2011, 06:16 PM)Thomas Wrote: I've worked as a student worker in an IT department. Mostly resetting forgotten passwords and dealing with viruses. It's amazing how people making $150,000+ a year can be so dumb sometimes!

Most of those IT tech people are idiots. (Definitely the one's i've spoken to anyway, and heard about***.) I've tried a few times to solve complex PC problems, and it seemed like I was trying to teach him further knowledge on what I already knew, which should give you an idea that he couldn't solve my problem anyway, because I was already over his head. Most of them give you the basics anyway, and when they can't solve it for you... Here's my favorite answer: "Well, if you have the CD/DVD installation disc you can boot your PC operating system from that thing and solve all your computer corruption if there is anything on your system that is corrupted."

I wish I could get paid to say that to every customer.
Congratulations on the job. I would love to work in a PC repair shop in the future as well. I'm working on getting my certifications.
(09-11-2011, 06:57 PM)Ace Wrote: Most of those IT tech people are idiots. (Definitely the one's i've spoken to anyway, and heard about***.) I've tried a few times to solve complex PC problems, and it seemed like I was trying to teach him further knowledge on what I already knew, which should give you an idea that he couldn't solve my problem anyway, because I was already over his head. Most of them give you the basics anyway, and when they can't solve it for you... Here's my favorite answer: "Well, if you have the CD/DVD installation disc you can boot your PC operating system from that thing and solve all your computer corruption if there is anything on your system that is corrupted."

I wish I could get paid to say that to every customer.

We had them saving all their files on the network and we had a deployment server to install windows for us so it was more like "well we've tried everything (restarting) so we're going to take your computer and reinstall windows on it. Not the best way to do things but it was faster for us.

(09-12-2011, 10:43 AM)SaNƹ Wrote: Congratulations on the job. I would love to work in a PC repair shop in the future as well. I'm working on getting my certifications.
That'd be your A+ certification right?
(09-12-2011, 02:14 PM)Thomas Wrote: That'd be your A+ certification right?

Correct. I'm also working on getting my Network+ certification.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Summer job.. Chelloa 4 600 06-25-2012, 08:21 AM
Last Post: ///ViNcE
  Got A Job :D BreShiE 31 3,343 03-28-2012, 08:47 AM
Last Post: BreShiE
  Job when your older... DaUB3R 16 1,861 12-25-2011, 06:35 AM
Last Post: Alside
  Your first job alabama 16 1,911 10-08-2011, 06:23 AM
Last Post: iRun
  15 year old trying to find a job Psychosis 36 10,745 09-28-2011, 04:34 PM
Last Post: iRun