Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Quick Guide: Should I upgrade my PC?
Despite what you may think, it is not always necessary to upgrade your computer just because your spending more time on it. Upgrades can be costly, especially if you mess up so unless you have a thick wad of cash handy, consider this.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it." It's an old saying but it's so true. You should only start thinking about upgrading your computer if you have something specific in mind. If your computer is running slow than your going to want to get more RAM, if your running out of room you'll want to buy a new hard drive.

The key here isn't that you should only buy hardware for your computer as a last resort. Upgrading a computer is fun and it makes a great hobby. The point is that you shouldn't just take a hundred dollars and say "What can I do for $100". If that's the case then spend it on something else, or keep it around for when your saying "I would love to get a new [blank], and it costs $100".

Many people think that because they are starting to spend more time on the computer with new hobbies such as programming or web design, they need to get better parts. Better hardware doesn't increase your skills. I use a Dimensions 2350 that I found, broken, in a closet when I moved. So far I have upgraded the RAM, the video card, and bought a new harddrive. Each of those was out of either necessity or a desire to reach a specific goal.

Basically what I'm saying is that until you NEED something, you don't need it. When it comes down to it, I don't care what you do or buy. It's none of my business, I'm saying this for your own good. This one question will save you a lot of time and money. Ask yourself, "Do I need it?".
Robert Picard
http://www.rpicard.net
(10-03-2009, 09:38 PM)The Defender Wrote: Despite what you may think, it is not always necessary to upgrade your computer just because your spending more time on it. Upgrades can be costly, especially if you mess up so unless you have a thick wad of cash handy, consider this.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it." It's an old saying but it's so true. You should only start thinking about upgrading your computer if you have something specific in mind. If your computer is running slow than your going to want to get more RAM, if your running out of room you'll want to buy a new hard drive.

The key here isn't that you should only buy hardware for your computer as a last resort. Upgrading a computer is fun and it makes a great hobby. The point is that you shouldn't just take a hundred dollars and say "What can I do for $100". If that's the case then spend it on something else, or keep it around for when your saying "I would love to get a new [blank], and it costs $100".

Many people think that because they are starting to spend more time on the computer with new hobbies such as programming or web design, they need to get better parts. Better hardware doesn't increase your skills. I use a Dimensions 2350 that I found, broken, in a closet when I moved. So far I have upgraded the RAM, the video card, and bought a new harddrive. Each of those was out of either necessity or a desire to reach a specific goal.

Basically what I'm saying is that until you NEED something, you don't need it. When it comes down to it, I don't care what you do or buy. It's none of my business, I'm saying this for your own good. This one question will save you a lot of time and money. Ask yourself, "Do I need it?".

Good guide Thumbsup
(10-03-2009, 09:41 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote: Good guide Thumbsup

Thanks! Blackhat
Robert Picard
Nice Thanks
I ask myself the same question all the time, do I need it?

The majority of the time, it's a no.

Great little guide, I enjoyed the read I must admit.
[Image: 3326yvl.jpg]

Thanks for all the feedback. Thumbsup
Robert Picard
I am always finding things to upgrade or replace in my main PC although it has been a few months now since I have.
Good little guide Thumbsup
Great post but on most laptops you can't upgrade at all Sad
(10-04-2009, 07:01 PM)DarkSel Wrote: Great post but on most laptops you can't upgrade at all Sad

Yeah, it's a shame too. It seems like there is a lot of potential in the portable computer field. If they made them a little more customizable they would be a whole lot better.
Robert Picard
Most of the time i ask the question "Do i need it?"
along with: "How much will it be"
and: "what else can i do"

Then if i decide that i NEED to do something about the problem i try a format, saving all the data that i need (most of it is on a separate partition anyway) and see how I'm going after that. If the problem hasn't improved after the format, I begin looking for hardware.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Upgrade Laptops graphic card? Jay 9 3,745 02-08-2013, 04:11 AM
Last Post: ShortsE
  Is it possible to upgrade my processor? Fragma 14 2,888 01-30-2011, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Deltron
  Firefox/Adobe Flashplayer (Go Upgrade!) cheeseburger 1 752 04-16-2010, 10:31 AM
Last Post: .:xX[ThunderStorm]Xx:.
  I can't upgrade my cpu-need help 4u111 20 4,514 10-22-2009, 11:16 PM
Last Post: υℓqυισяяα
  What Should I Upgrade on Computer Ragalshnagal 11 2,182 10-14-2009, 05:51 PM
Last Post: Apparatus