Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turbo vs Supercharger
Here is a breif explanation, A turbo is a free energy forced induction device it usses the expelled gasses from your exhaust manifold to drive the turbine to inturn force air into your engine the downside to these is you have what is called turbine lagg. This is the stall time before your turbine starts to produce energy and gain Boost but once it is going it can keep gaining energy to the point where it will litterally explode so it has almost no limit to it's output

A supercharger is a belt driven forced induction device it uses pulley's attatched to the engine in order to drive it. The benifit of these is the power is almost instant but it is limited by a power curve the power curve can vary in rpm depending on the pulley ratio's so these have a limit to the amount of forced induction that they can produce

B@nNeD
Looks like i have a little competition for the auto section lol jk. But imho a turbo is much much better. Just because it uses a byproduct of youe engine, and makes more PSI and Boost than a supercharger. Just my opinion, what do you like?
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.
Blower all the way. Turbos get too hot. Sure you could run twins to get rid of the lag but they still run very hot.
For reliablilty i would also stick with a blower.
As for power. Well check out drag racing. Not many top fuelers runnin turbo. All blown.
And with under the bonet blowers now days well you cant beat them.
The Rules!
FTW Forum <-- Home of the Damned! --> Join me On MM

I'm not really a big fan of a blower. On a drag rig, they are great. But for a street ride they are just unpractical, you usually have to cut your hood and they are pretty expensive. I wouldn't worry to much about the turbo heat eather, it will handle what ever most vehicles can put it through.
(10-26-2009, 02:54 PM)ktmrider530 Wrote: Looks like i have a little competition for the auto section lol jk. But imho a turbo is much much better. Just because it uses a byproduct of youe engine, and makes more PSI and Boost than a supercharger. Just my opinion, what do you like?
Hi Bro yeah I would agree with you on tha turbo's. I myself do prefer a turbo over a supercharger & tha turbo lagg can be overcome by using a sequential setup (twin turbo) a good trick is to use a small turbo + a larger turbo so tha small one kicks in at the low end rpm range & once it has spooled up then tha large one kicks in. it's kinda like being kicked in tha ass twice haha. But I'm not here to compete wit ya my bro just happy to try and help people but it seems you have some knowledge yourself I look forward to having some tech conversations with you thanks for ya reply

B@nNeD
(10-26-2009, 03:36 PM)B@nNeD Wrote: Hi Bro yeah I would agree with you on tha turbo's. I myself do prefer a turbo over a supercharger & tha turbo lagg can be overcome by using a sequential setup (twin turbo) a good trick is to use a small turbo + a larger turbo so tha small one kicks in at the low end rpm range & once it has spooled up then tha large one kicks in. it's kinda like being kicked in tha ass twice haha. But I'm not here to compete wit ya my bro just happy to try and help people but it seems you have some knowledge yourself I look forward to having some tech conversations with you thanks for ya reply

B@nNeD
Nah man i was just kidding about the competing thing. I'm glad there are fellow gear heads on the site. If you don't mind me asking, how old are you?
yep but for quater mile runs a blower can be dialled in more accurately giving more consistant results

B@nNeD
(10-26-2009, 03:36 PM)ktmrider530 Wrote: I'm not really a big fan of a blower. On a drag rig, they are great. But for a street ride they are just unpractical, you usually have to cut your hood and they are pretty expensive. I wouldn't worry to much about the turbo heat eather, it will handle what ever most vehicles can put it through.

Not true. Under the bonet blowers have been around for years now. There quite small actually.
As for turbo heat. Well thats the one big flaw with turbos. Heat.
The Rules!

From personal expierence, i know my truck can beat little cars with blowers, not just beat them. But rip them a new ass lol It's all about diesel man.
(10-26-2009, 03:40 PM)DAMINK™ Wrote: Not true. Under the bonet blowers have been around for years now. There quite small actually.
As for turbo heat. Well thats the one big flaw with turbos. Heat.
True, i didn't think of thoes. I have had no expierence with them. I have only helped with full blowers. They sound pretty good though.
(10-26-2009, 03:41 PM)ktmrider530 Wrote: From personal expierence, i know my truck can beat little cars with blowers, not just beat them. But rip them a new butthead lol It's all about diesel man.

Wow. Yea ok man. Agree to disagree.
The Rules!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need a Turbo Dcrac23 10 1,322 06-03-2011, 07:18 AM
Last Post: Impulses SF
  my very annoying turbo problem.[Please?] ktmrider530 10 2,450 04-09-2010, 11:51 AM
Last Post: ktmrider530